• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Discussion about configuring the Time Server on an SBS/ISA machine

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Discussion about configuring the Time Server on an SBS/ISA machine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Discussion about configuring the Time Server on an SBS/... - 30.Sep.2004 8:24:00 PM   
tshinder

This article is for discussing the article on configuring the time service on an SBS/ISA machine at http://isaserver.org/articles/sbstimesync.html

Thanks!
Tom

[ September 30, 2004, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: tshinder ]
Post #: 1
RE: Discussion about configuring the Time Server on an ... - 30.Sep.2004 8:39:00 PM   
leonhughes

The graphics seem to be missing from this article!

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 2
RE: Discussion about configuring the Time Server on an ... - 30.Sep.2004 9:23:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Leon,

Are they still missing?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Discussion about configuring the Time Server on an ... - 1.Oct.2004 4:17:00 AM   
BSDBOY

Interesing one [Wink]

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 4
RE: Discussion about configuring the Time Server on an ... - 10.Dec.2004 2:39:00 PM   
boboviz

I use a batch file instead of manual registry changes:

w32tm /config/manualpeerlist:timeserver,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
net stop w32time
net start w32time
w32tm /resync

It works!
Bye
Stefano [Smile] [Smile]

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Discussion about configuring the Time Server on an ... - 15.Dec.2004 4:25:00 AM   
grantmorgan999

I've followed the instructions in the article to the letter on my installation of SBS2003 premium.

After restarting the service, I got none of the nice sync messages showing that it was working. Instead, I got the message:

Time Provider NtpClient: This machine is configured to use the domain hierarchy to determine its time source, but it is the PDC emulator for the domain at the root of the forest, so there is no machine above it in the domain hierarchy to use as a time source. It is recommended that you either configure a reliable time service in the root domain, or manually configure the PDC to synchronize with an external time source. Otherwise, this machine will function as the authoritative time source in the domain hierarchy. If an external time source is not configured or used for this computer, you may choose to disable the NtpClient.

I ran w32tm /unregister and w32tm /register to reset the registry data, and went through the article again, checking everything as I did it.

I also ensured that my packet filters were setup properly in ISA Server, and successfully accessed the remote time server port through PortQry.

Got the same message again when I restarted the service.

Help!

Thanks
Grant

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6
RE: Discussion about configuring the Time Server on an ... - 15.Dec.2004 5:10:00 PM   
RobiL

Can I apply this to my setup?

I want to set my DC emulator as the time server for the network. This is running 2003 Server.

However, my ISA 2000 server is a different machine and is running Windows 2000 Server.

Can I set ISA with the above properties and then make the registry changes on the other server to make it all work?

Any advice much appreciated.

Rob

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 7
RE: Discussion about configuring the Time Server on an ... - 16.Dec.2004 9:39:00 PM   
thejun

I just used atomic clock synch on the PDC, and opened port 13 on ISA, and used group policy to check every 15 minutes.
Works fine.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 8
RE: Discussion about configuring the Time Server on an ... - 7.Jan.2005 3:43:00 PM   
I have : -
1 x Win2K server running ISA 2000
1 x Win2k DC (contains all the FSMO roles)
1 x Win2K DC (essentialy a BDC)

I wanted to set the DC-FSMO machine to get the time from the external source. On the ISA I created the relevant Packey Filter for UDP:123.

However after going round in circles and reading every post on here and anywhere else i.e. Microsoft I couldn't get it to work.

In the end I set the ISA machine to get the external time and then on the DC-FSMO machine I set it to point to the ISA internal NIC IP.

Works now but I feel thats a fudge. Thought I'd share this as it seems many people have similar problems and I certainly didn't find an answer . .

Cheers

Matt

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 9
RE: Discussion about configuring the Time Server on an ... - 2.Feb.2005 4:47:00 PM   
ncadmin22

I take issue with this article as in step 4, ntpserver subkey does not exist on MY server inside the PARAMETERS subkey and the time service is running. The instructions are a copy of the microsoft site KB article 816042.

What type of key is this so that I can create it and please give an example of using peers with 2 external timeservers.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 10
RE: Discussion about configuring the Time Server on an ... - 5.Feb.2005 1:11:00 AM   
GEM555

Did anyone post an answer to getting a Win2K SBS/ISA box to time sync. Mine always fails despite haveing 123 open, etc.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Discussion about configuring the Time Server on an SBS/ISA machine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts