• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

server disconnect "client version may not be supported version.."

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> server disconnect "client version may not be supported version.." Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
server disconnect "client version may not be suppo... - 11.Oct.2004 5:40:00 PM   
dmolley

I have an ISA2000 system on Server2003 system. Everything has been working fine. I suddenly am getting client errors on all my firewall clients with :
< Server suddenly disconnected
Possible Cause:
The client version may not be supported version of client software. >
As far as I know - no changes were made to the configuration or updates - unless there is some autoupdate feature turned on that I am unaware of.
I need help fast. My whole network is down and I don't have a clue where to start.
Post #: 1
RE: server disconnect "client version may not be s... - 11.Oct.2004 9:07:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi dmolley,

oops... never seen that one! Are you running ISA 2000 SP2 and are the Firewall clients repaired from the ISA Firewall client install share?

Also, what happens if you restart the Firewall service or reboot the ISA server?

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to dmolley)
Post #: 2
RE: server disconnect "client version may not be s... - 12.Oct.2004 3:37:00 PM   
dmolley

ISA is uptodate (SP2).
I have narrowed down the cause to my SMTP service on another 2003 system. I have no idea why, but if I stop the SMTP service on that other system, the firewall clients will update (connect) fine. If I start the service then the update button in the client configure applet returns the aforementioned wierd error. Any ideas?

(in reply to dmolley)
Post #: 3
RE: server disconnect "client version may not be s... - 12.Oct.2004 8:50:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi dmolley,

wow... I would take a NetMon trace on the ISA internal interface to find out what is really happening on the wire.

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to dmolley)
Post #: 4
RE: server disconnect "client version may not be s... - 9.Dec.2004 6:16:00 PM   
raw

I had this same problem the day after Thanksgiving and it went away all on it's own which I thought was strange but was happy to go back home on my day off.

Anyway, the symptoms I had was not only the client errors but nothing could pass through the ISA server at all (I have several servers published).

Has anyone else seen this?

(in reply to dmolley)
Post #: 5
RE: server disconnect "client version may not be s... - 10.Dec.2004 1:17:00 AM   
AHIT

If stopping the SMPT service on another box corrected this issue, could it perhaps be that one of your clients is virus infected and was using that SMTP server to replicate itself out by sending dozens/hundreds/thousands of e-mail messages?
And the SMTP server was essentially using all the resources of ISA and not allowing valid traffic?

Along these liens I once had one of my guys bring in a relatives laptop that was "running slow". He plugged it into out network and started working on it then wandered away for a while. The laptop had a bazillion viruses/trojans on it and (the segment) where it was plugged in gave the laptop IP details and the default gateway was the ISA machine, so this laptop started doing port scans of external IP's. ISA denied the request but the laptop kept trying and basically sucked up the 65565 available ports on the ISA very quickly.. and no legitimate traffic could then get through ISA.
Action: Unplug laptop, beat user about the head for plugging into our network, change default gateway so it won't happen again!

(in reply to dmolley)
Post #: 6
RE: server disconnect "client version may not be s... - 10.Dec.2004 5:06:00 PM   
raw

Thanks for the reply man. I did some more reading and noticed my AD user accounts were all being locked which told me I was either being hacked or had some sort of virus. I turned on account auditing on logon failures and was able to track down which machines were locking accounts. Once I narrowed it down to what machines it was on, I created a new Client Address Set for the contaminated servers and blocked all access to the ISA server from them. That actually worked quite well until I was able to clean the machines.

As it turns out, I had a few instances of the W32.Randex trojan running on some development test machines which the developers are in charge of patching (windowsudpate) and keeping clean since it's their "test environment".

After this incident, I informed the lead programmer they no longer have this luxury and I will be maintaining their machines whether it breaks their code or not.

Our office was down for the majority of the day due to the lack of attention to these machines. LOL

Anyway, thanks for the replies and I hope my experience with this helps a few people. There's not alot of documented cases with solutions online that I was able to find.

[ December 10, 2004, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: raw ]

(in reply to dmolley)
Post #: 7
RE: server disconnect "client version may not be s... - 12.Dec.2004 11:43:00 PM   
AHIT

Hey hey! Glad to hear you worked it all out in the end.
Thanks for the update...

(in reply to dmolley)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> server disconnect "client version may not be supported version.." Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts