• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Web filtering - different from the others

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Web filtering - different from the others Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Web filtering - different from the others - 14.Dec.2004 9:29:00 PM   
Hi all,

Im sorry if this is posted in the wrong section but im after a bit of guidance.

Im an IT manager for secondary school in the UK for about 1000+ pupils plus teachers. We have always had a problem of pupils accessing websites theyt shouldnt be during lessons times and after school in homework clubs etc.

We have a windows 2000 server with ISA 2000 (Sp2) installed. Recently we had an incident which had the police involved so we decided it was time to purchase some better filtering software, we have been looking at a product called Ranger Remote control (Web Site ) and NetOp School. ( Web Site )
Both of these products do what we are looking for which i will explain later. The only down fall with these products is they need to run an application on all the machines i want to control access too.

What im trying to acheive is this, We have about 10 computer rooms each with approx 30 student PCs. these rooms are bookable so many different children can enter these rooms through out the day and access the internet. We would like to block all websites for a particular room and only allow a predefined list of approved websites. But the ability to unblock individual PCs rather than users, the children have figured out they can logon as other pupils!

Like i said the above products do everything we want but need to run a client on the machines in order to work. We have experienced various setbacks in testing these such as lose of connection to the machines, crashing of the OS and conflicts with other software that is installed on the machines such as Sophos Anti-Virus.

As it stands i'm still looking for a solution that meets our requirments. Ideally i would like a server based solution, I have looked in the software section of this site but noent hat i can see do filtering based on the room system i have outlined here.

If anyone can help or suggest a product or ideas then it will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Michael Mcloughlin
IT Manager
Pickering High Shcool
+44(0)1482 318090
mikem@pickeringhigh.hull.sch.uk
  Post #: 1
RE: Web filtering - different from the others - 15.Dec.2004 6:58:00 PM   
jsun00

First off, I would make sure all of your PCs have static IP addresses and customize it by room. For example Room A would have 192.168.1.0, Room B would have 192.168.2.0, etc. Then create a client address sets based on those rooms. Then create destination set with all of the allowed websites. Finally create a Site and Content rule allowing only the specified destination sets and apply it to the room you want. You can give the teacher's computer a specific IP address (192.168.1.253 / 2.253 / etc..) that way they won't be affected.

Just set up the computers as SecureNAT clients and you're set. No client software needed and no slow down on the computers.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Web filtering - different from the others Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts