• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ISA Speed

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> ISA Speed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ISA Speed - 30.Apr.2005 10:07:00 AM   
Paul Knight

Hi Guys and Girls,

I have succesfully setup an exchange OWA SSL to SSL bridge through my ISA, and it works like a dream, apart from the initial speed, I have a 4mb lease line from the site ICM is fixed at 4mb. At home I have 2mb cable, and even with this speed the initial ISA connection seems a little slow to present the SSL cert and then displaying the OWA forms screen.

my questions are:-

1.) what are the users limits (rule of thumb) for the ammount of concurrent connections you should allow access to OWA through ISA.. user wise.

2.) Is there anything I am missing to speed up the connection a little, or anything I can watch to moniter response times.

KR

Pknight
Post #: 1
RE: ISA Speed - 2.May2005 3:35:00 AM   
AHIT

It's all a littel bit "how long is a piece of string" - depends on your situation.

How many users? Depends. If you have 100 users all logged in to OWA but not actually doing anything at the time, there's zero load. But if just 10 of those users are simultaneously opening a 20Mb Excel attachment then there's significant load.

Your statements "initial speed" and "initial ISA conenction" seem to indicate that once logged in, everything's fine.
As such I suspect either.
a) problems resovling the external DNS name - poor/overloaded/misplaced/no-backup DNS servers
b) listener responds quickly but slow/problem with internal authentication - see your internal AD/DNS infrastructure.

(in reply to Paul Knight)
Post #: 2
RE: ISA Speed - 3.May2005 10:03:00 AM   
Paul Knight

Internaly it server responds fine, its only when external clients connect, I have a lab enviroment, and am looking to cluster 2 ISA servers to see if this will improve the times.

P

Post #: 3
RE: ISA Speed - 4.May2005 2:24:00 AM   
AHIT

If it responds internally fine, then I'd be looking at how your external DNS strcutre is setup.
Ideally 2 or more servers at disparate locations usign different ISP's for redundancy.

Post #: 4
RE: ISA Speed - 7.May2005 12:23:00 AM   
Paul Knight

cant be DNS, even using the IP direct is pretty slow, maybe look at changing the ISP seems a little drestic though.

Post #: 5
RE: ISA Speed - 9.May2005 11:43:00 PM   
isawader

pknight,

I have same problem with my OWA too. It would at least take 10 seconds for the certificate screen to show up. After entering userid/password, I will get to the OWA fast. I don't see any lag when the owa site is accessed from behind ISA. Probably I may have some issue because I got the certificate from my own CA. Let me know if you found any solution.

thanks

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> ISA Speed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll