• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Block MSN Messenger

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Block MSN Messenger Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Block MSN Messenger - 9.Jun.2005 5:34:00 PM   
chadpen001

Hi fellow ISA'ers!

I'm using ISA 2000 and have enabled created an allow rule for Internet access. Problem is that the IM client of MS seems to be able to use port 81 (HTTPS) of the firewall as I've turned every MSN available item to disable or deny but yet it works right through the WP-FW client. I set the DHCP server up to use Automatically Discover Proxy using the wpad routine and am wondering if that somehow helps MSN IM to bypass the firewall...

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers to a solution.
PS - Would be nice to have ALL IM chatters shutdown through the ISA. "[Smile]"
Post #: 1
RE: Block MSN Messenger - 13.Jun.2005 3:33:00 AM   
aqib khan

configure protocole rule as selected protocoles, and unselect the MSN messenger and MSN

(in reply to chadpen001)
Post #: 2
RE: Block MSN Messenger - 24.Jun.2005 5:58:00 AM   
uszaman

Hey! Blocking MSN and Yahoo is not that simple. If you block the TCP port the MSN and Yahoo use (1863 & 5050) respectively, they start using tunnelling traffic through port 80.

So you need to block the specifc Hotmail and Yahoo messenger servers. Over the pass few months i have monitored traffic on my netwrok and generated a list of IPs and Domains use by Yahoo and MSN.

All Yahoo IP that i know of have reverse lookup set correctly. So if you block all traffic to the following domains Yahoo will stop working:
- shttp.msg.yahoo.com
- *.sc5.yahoo.com
- *.dcn.yahoo.com

However MSN IP are not setup that well. Reverse lookup to MSN IPs shows no domains so you need to block IP address ranges.
64.4.13.171 - 64.4.13.190
207.46.106.1 - 207.46.108.254
and the IPs 65.54.239.20,

(in reply to chadpen001)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Block MSN Messenger Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts