• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SMTP logs show mail came from ISAServer

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> SMTP logs show mail came from ISAServer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SMTP logs show mail came from ISAServer - 9.Feb.2004 8:58:00 PM   
Persing

When I publish my exchange server through ISA2000 the SMTP logs show the IP address of the sending server. In ISA 2004 the SMTP logs show the ISA computer as the originating address. If I change the publishing rule to "requests appear to come from the original client" it appears to work for a while, but the next time I stop and restart ISA services it says "Don't do that!" so I have to change it back. This sure puts a kink in my SMTP logs. Any way around this "feature"?
Post #: 1
RE: SMTP logs show mail came from ISAServer - 10.Feb.2004 5:41:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Pete,

Is the Exchange Server on the internal network and the ISA2004 firewall in front of it? And you've configured the rule to use the original client IP address? And you see a proxy address on the Exchange Server's SMTP service's logs?

If so, can you back up your configuration and email it to me at tshinder@isaserver.org?

Thanks!
Tom

[ February 10, 2004, 05:41 AM: Message edited by: tshinder ]

(in reply to Persing)
Post #: 2
RE: SMTP logs show mail came from ISAServer - 10.Feb.2004 1:36:00 PM   
Persing

Hi Tom,
A little misunderstanding. It is configured as you said, BUT... the problem is that if I configure it so "requests appear to come from the original client" it seems to work for a while, but when I restart the ISA services it gives me an error message that says (I cleared the event log so this may not be exact) "Publishing rule failed. This rule cannot be configured to have requests appear to come from the original client." so I have to change it to "Requests appear to come from the ISA server".

(in reply to Persing)
Post #: 3
RE: SMTP logs show mail came from ISAServer - 10.Feb.2004 2:11:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Pete,

The publishing rule failure is unusual. What kind of Internet connection are you using? Are the internal and external interfaces on different network IDs?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to Persing)
Post #: 4
RE: SMTP logs show mail came from ISAServer - 10.Feb.2004 3:33:00 PM   
Persing

I infer from your statements that the publishing rule is supposed to allow me to specify "requests appear to come from the original client" on a mail server publishing rule.

I am using a DSL connection. What exectly do you mean by "different network ID's"?

(in reply to Persing)
Post #: 5
RE: SMTP logs show mail came from ISAServer - 10.Feb.2004 9:22:00 PM   
Persing

Update: Since your last message I ran with the assumption that all my publishing rules should allow the "requests appear to come from the original client" setting. So I opened all the publishing rules (Policies?) and set them to specify original client. I restarted the services just to be safe, and it worked for two hours. I restarted the services again and still no errors. The client address is showing up in my SMTP logs again and it seems as though the problem is gone. I am afraid as a scientific experiment this fails, because I changed a lot more than one variable at a time. I have no idea which change made the difference, but I will keep my eye on it and let you know if the problem occurs again. This time I will capture the exact error message.

(in reply to Persing)
Post #: 6
RE: SMTP logs show mail came from ISAServer - 11.Feb.2004 6:24:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Pete,

Great! Good to hear you got it working and thanks for the follow up. I'll keep my eye out for the same problem and make a note of what I think made it happen.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to Persing)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> SMTP logs show mail came from ISAServer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts