• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Discussion about ISA SMTP Message Screener article

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> Discussion about ISA SMTP Message Screener article Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Discussion about ISA SMTP Message Screener article - 9.Mar.2004 6:27:00 PM   
tshinder

This thread is for discussing the ISA 2004 Message Screener article at http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/2004emaildefenseindepth.html.

Thanks!
Tom
Post #: 1
RE: Discussion about ISA SMTP Message Screener article - 13.Mar.2004 10:20:00 AM   
berrys

Hi Tom,

Suppose you are running Small Business Server and already have Exchange 2003 and ISA2004 running on the same server. Can you still use the Message Screener?

I believe Exchange 2003 also extends IIS6's SMTP engine, so i expect that there will be conflicts.

Maybee it would be possible to have one SMTP server running on another port on the same server?

I'd like to your opinion on this

Kind regards,
Berry Schreuder

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 2
RE: Discussion about ISA SMTP Message Screener article - 14.Mar.2004 8:01:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Berry,

I personally would not install the SMTP Message Screener on the Exchange Server. In fact, in its present incarnation, the SMTP Message Screener will cause problems. These should be fixed by the time the product is officially released, though.

Also, I would highly recommend *not* install the firewall software on the same machine as the Exchange Server. ISA 2004 is really a network firewall, not a "personal" or "host based" firewall, and for that reason, will create a number of issues when installed on the same machine.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Discussion about ISA SMTP Message Screener article - 5.Apr.2004 6:25:00 PM   
First of all I would like to say that your tutorials are some of most useful that I have ever read regarding ISA server.

I plan on implementing ISA 2004 when it ships and I would like to utilize the Message Screener feature. I also utilize Outlook Web Access for exchange 2003. I utilized your tutorial (Publishing Exchange 2003 Outlook Web Access with ISA Server 2000) to configure my servers for external https: mail access.

I need a little clarification on how ISA working as a relay would impact my configuration. I am thinking that my outside mail FQDN needs to match my internal Exchange FQDN for authentication and all that jazz to work. How will I need to modify my configuration when I set up ISA as an SMTP relay without breaking my https: OWA access.

Tony from Shoshoni

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 4
RE: Discussion about ISA SMTP Message Screener article - 6.Apr.2004 8:42:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Tony,

Thanks!

Your SMTP relay config on the ISA firewall won't have any effect at all on the OWA publishing. The OWA publishing is done using a Web Publishing Rule and the SMTP relay publishing is done with a Server Publishing Rule, so there's no possibility of collisions because there won't be any socket contention issues or rule config issues.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Discussion about ISA SMTP Message Screener article - 6.Oct.2004 2:43:00 PM   
My question is in relation to the SMTP Message Screener for ISA2000 (I think it's more or less the same in ISA2004).

Is it possible to have one of the key words be a email address?

IE, I want to filter any email being sent to a email address to be deleted, however when I put the email address (or part of it) in the filter, it doesn't seem to reconize it.

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 6
RE: Discussion about ISA SMTP Message Screener article - 18.Nov.2004 12:32:00 AM   
pwaldeier

I personally would not install the SMTP Message Screener on the Exchange Server. In fact, in its present incarnation, the SMTP Message Screener will cause problems. These should be fixed by the time the product is officially released, though.

Also, I would highly recommend *not* install the firewall software on the same machine as the Exchange Server. ISA 2004 is really a network firewall, not a "personal" or "host based" firewall, and for that reason, will create a number of issues when installed on the same machine.

HTH,
Tom[/QB][/QUOTE]

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 7
RE: Discussion about ISA SMTP Message Screener article - 18.Nov.2004 12:35:00 AM   
pwaldeier

Now that ISA 2004 has been out for a while, is it still recommended that message screener not be used with Exchnage 2003?

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 8
RE: Discussion about ISA SMTP Message Screener article - 17.May2005 2:51:00 PM   
mvlirm

Hello Tom,

Thank you for this article. One question: somehow (whatever I try) I never get the "configure SMTP" option when I right click the SMTP Server publishing rule. I am therefore not able to configure the message screener on a "per rule" basis.

Any idea what goes wrong? I've installed the message screener on the ISA server itself for demo purposes (the smtp service).

Thanks!

Martin

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 9
RE: Discussion about ISA SMTP Message Screener article - 7.Apr.2006 4:23:19 PM   
Arganaz

hy mvlirm,
i'm sure by now, you have figured that you can also go to configurations -> add-ins, and right click on SMTP Filter, in order to get the same screen "configure SMTP".

Anyway, it might help someone.

Paulo M

(in reply to mvlirm)
Post #: 10
RE: Discussion about ISA SMTP Message Screener article - 25.May2006 12:57:14 AM   
alexparty99

Hello,

I have the same problem as mvlirm: "Configure SMTP" does not appear on the right click over the SMTP Server publishing rule.

Arganaz suggested to access config via add-ins but as fas as I see it changes the global values. E.g. I would like to have two different configurations of the message screener for incoming and outgoing traffic.

Any ideas how to make it appear?

MCP, MCSA

(in reply to Arganaz)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> Discussion about ISA SMTP Message Screener article Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts