• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Discussion for article on Inbound/Outbound SMTP Relay on ISA firewall

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> Discussion for article on Inbound/Outbound SMTP Relay on ISA firewall Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Discussion for article on Inbound/Outbound SMTP Relay o... - 6.Jun.2004 9:37:00 PM   
tshinder

This thread is for discussing the article on inbound/outbound SMTP relay on the ISA firewall at http://isaserver.org/articles/2004smtprelayinoutisa.html.

HTH,
Tom

[ June 06, 2004, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: tshinder ]
Post #: 1
RE: Discussion for article on Inbound/Outbound SMTP Rel... - 9.Jul.2004 12:43:00 AM   
raptor22x

I followed your instructions, but when i tried to send email using outlook, it does not accept my authentication. I also tried the administrator account and that works, but any other username does not. By the way, Great Job with postings in ISAserver.org

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 2
RE: Discussion for article on Inbound/Outbound SMTP Rel... - 9.Jul.2004 8:20:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Jose,

Thanks! [Big Grin]

Is the ISA firewall a member of the domain? Also, are you using beta 2?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Discussion for article on Inbound/Outbound SMTP Rel... - 9.Jul.2004 8:13:00 PM   
raptor22x

Hey Tom,
Yes, the server is a member of the domain. I don't think I'm using beta 2. I bought the software from softchoice.com. How would i check what version it is? Thanks.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 4
RE: Discussion for article on Inbound/Outbound SMTP Rel... - 9.Jul.2004 8:16:00 PM   
raptor22x

i was able to find out what version i have:
Microsoft ISA Server 2004

(c) 2004 Microsoft Corporation.

Version: 4.0.2161.50

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Discussion for article on Inbound/Outbound SMTP Rel... - 13.Jul.2004 1:47:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Jose,

Do you see the failed log on attempt in the Event viewer on the ISA firewall machine?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6
RE: Discussion for article on Inbound/Outbound SMTP Rel... - 30.Aug.2004 11:12:00 PM   
hansebs

Would it be possible to make this work in a single NIC scenario? With an ISA 04 in a DMZ as both proxy and SMTP relay?

Cheers,
Hans Erik

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 7
RE: Discussion for article on Inbound/Outbound SMTP Rel... - 8.Dec.2005 7:52:41 PM   
tariq96

Thanks Mr. Shinder for your great effort. I would like  to ask you why do you choose All User in User Sets when you publishing and accessing rule in this article? Thanks.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 8
RE: Discussion for article on Inbound/Outbound SMTP Rel... - 6.Jun.2006 6:30:21 PM   
tonygauderman

I followed the instructions, and everything worked except for the instructions to Configure the SMTP services on the Exchange SErver to use ISA Server 2004 firewall as it's relay as shown at the end of this post...

Here is what I actually needed to do to prevent Exchange from sending based on DNS and use a smart host.
  1. On the Exchange Server machine, click Start and point to All Programs. Point to Microsoft Exchange and click on System Manager.
  2. In the Exchange System Manager console, expand the organization name and then expand the Connectors node in the left pane of the console.
  3. Right Click on Internet Mail Service (SERVER_NAME) and click Properties.
  4. On the General tab, click the Forward all mail through this connector to the following smart hosts radio button.
  5. In the text box, enter the IP Address surrounded by straight brackets or the FQDN of the smart host.
  6. Click Apply and then OK.

Configure the SMTP service on the Exchange Server to use the ISA Server 2004 firewall as its outbound relay
The Exchange Server will use the SMTP relay for outbound relay via a smart host setting on the Exchange Serverís SMTP service. Perform the following steps to configure the SMTP service on the Exchange Server to use the SMTP relay as its smart host:
  1. On the Exchange Server machine, click Start and point to All Programs. Point to Microsoft Exchange and click on System Manager.
  2. In the Exchange System Manager console, expand the organization name and then expand the Servers node in the left pane of the console. Expand the Protocols node and then expand the SMTP protocol.
  3. Right click the Default SMTP Virtual Server entry in the left pane and click Properties.
  4. In the Default SMTP Virtual Server Properties dialog box, click the Delivery tab. On the Delivery tab, click the Advanced button.
  5. In the Advanced Delivery dialog box, enter the IP address of the SMTP relay computer in the Smart host text box. In this example, the IP address of the SMTP relay is 192.168.1.70, so we will enter [192.168.1.70] into the text box. Notice that straight brackets must be placed around the IP address. Click OK.
  6. Click Apply and then click OK in the Default SMTP Virtual Server Properties dialog box.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 9
RE: Discussion for article on Inbound/Outbound SMTP Rel... - 7.May2007 10:40:21 AM   
FDPIV

Hello Dr. Tom,

I've followed the steps described in the article, except the last part (the client part).
In our network we use Microsoft Outlook 2003 and using the "Microsoft Exchange Server" in Server Type when creating the account on the client software, so there is no way i can check any "My Outgoing server requires authentication" box.

The problem i have on the network is that we are receiving e-mails like they were coming from our domain (@fundacaodpedroiv.org). For example, we receive some mails like "TO: something@fundacaodpedroiv.org" (and we don't have any "something" account on the organization) and sometimes we receive mails using accounts that really exist in our organization (like "FROM: helpdesk@fundacaodpedroiv.org" for example).
How can I prevent this?
I want the system to check if the account exists on the organization before delivering it to the mailbox (for the
something@fundacaodpedroiv.org cases) and that only the users on the domain can send mails from their accounts (for the case were someone "out there" is using the e-mail helpdesk@fundacaodpedroiv.org).

Is that possible?

I hope you can help me, or give me some clues.

Thanks for any support you can give to me.

Best Regards,

Pedro Frutuoso

Oops! After posting the message I see (in reply to tonygauderman) on the corner. It's my first post in this forum, so... sorry!  This is in reply to tshinder!

< Message edited by FDPIV -- 7.May2007 10:46:32 AM >

(in reply to tonygauderman)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> Discussion for article on Inbound/Outbound SMTP Relay on ISA firewall Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts