• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Trying to publish SMTP from a perimiter IP - is it possible

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> Trying to publish SMTP from a perimiter IP - is it possible Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trying to publish SMTP from a perimiter IP - is it poss... - 26.Nov.2004 1:35:00 AM   
Taz69

Currentlly I have an ISA 2004 server set up tri-homed config.

External interface is an ADSL PCI modem with a single static IP assigned. My Perimiter interface has 2 public IPs assigned from a bank of 8(ok 6)and I am hoping to publish an internal smtp server on one of these IPs.

I have managed to connect to my smtp server from my internal network via telnetting to port 25 on the perimiter IP but my isp blocks port 25 until they can run a scan and currently cannot see that I have a smtp server on the IP that is configured to listen through the smtp publishing rule. I have also created an access rule from 'External' to the IP that I want to publish; a route relationship is configured between the 'External' and 'Perimiter' networks and socket pooling has been disabled for the smtp service.

I do also have a publishing rule on the external interface which publishes a smtp server on the internal interface of my ISA and this is working properly.

I also want to add a second smtp server (installed on a virtual PC) so that I can configure it as a front end server without installing Exchange on my external ISA. I do have a second ISA installed on another virtual machine using another ip from my bank and will try adding a second ip to its external interface if I can't figure out how to publish smtp from the perimiter inerface of my real ISA.

I'm stuck in the rut of can't get the port opened until the isp can scan to ensure it isn't an open relay, but can't set things up without port 25 opening. I'm just getting frustrated to the point that I'll cancel a good internet service because I'm tried of having to phone my isp every time I want to try anything new that requires port 25, especially as one of my main uses of my internet connection is as a testlab.

Hopefully I'm just overlooking some simple detail but at the minute any suggestions would be appreciated. Even if ISA won't do what I'm trying it would be good to know so that I can move on and try a different approach such as use my virtual ISA to publish a second IP.

Thanks for reading, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Trying to publish SMTP from a perimiter IP - is it ... - 29.Nov.2004 2:01:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Taz,

Can you boil this down and tell us what you want to accomplish and what is not working?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to Taz69)
Post #: 2
RE: Trying to publish SMTP from a perimiter IP - is it ... - 30.Nov.2004 4:19:00 AM   
Taz69

Hopefully this will make better sense.

I'm using an ISA 2004 server with PCI modem & 2 NICs as my external firewall/router and I have a bank of 8 IPs. Currently I'm using the router's IP(ISPs point of view) as my external ISA IP and have a NIC configured with 2 IPs from my own bank as a perimiter network. I want to be able to publlish e-mail from both my external interface and also one of the IPs from the perimiter interface to a smtp virtual server which is on the internal NIC. The publishing rule from my external IP is working a treat, it is just that I also hope to be able to use a second IP from my perimiter interface and also publish this through to my internal NIC.
The fun part is that my ISP blocks traffic to port 25 until they can scan for an open relay, otherwise I would be able to experiment until I got the correct publishing rules/access rules configured for traffic from my perimiter NIC to the internal NIC. If it still isn't clear I'll try drawing up a picture of the config and publish a web link if it will help.
Thanks Taz

(in reply to Taz69)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> Trying to publish SMTP from a perimiter IP - is it possible Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts