The ideal DNS configuration for supporting hosts that move between the corporate network and remote locations is the split DNS.
Since I don't have any clients that move btwn the corp network and remote locations, it seems like a hosts file should suffice:
If your organization does not use the same domain name for resources that are accessible both internally and externally, then you can still access the Exchange Server via the RPC publishing rule by using local host name resolution, which bypasses the need for a DNS server.
Furthermore, the article's section "Configuring the Outlook 2003 Client to Connect via Secure Exchange RPC" says to add this entry in the client's hosts file:
Here is where I am confused because the client in the hotel can't resolve the 192 private address, so how can the Outlook client get to the server in the first place?
Now that makes sense, must've had brain freeze. :)
Ok, so I have split DNS working: - my external DNS resolution (Exc2k3.internal.domain.com) correctly resolves to 126.96.36.199 - my internal DNS resolution (Exc2k3.internal.domain.com) correctly resolves to 10.0.0.5
The ISA2k4 server correctly resolves Exc2k3.internal.domain.com to 10.0.0.5, and on an internal client, it connects with Outlook 2k3 to Exc2k3.internal.domain.com with no problem.
On the external client it comes back with "name could not be resolved". Logging in ISA2k4 shows that a request comes in on port 135, protocol Exchange RPC Server, but the action it immediately takes is "Closed Connection". I do have a rule for accepting RPC and sending them to the exchange server.
I tried turning off the XP firewall on the external client, and turning off the RPC filter on the ISA2k4 server, both to no avail.
Also, is it required that my ISA2k4 server belong to the domain internal.domain.com?
< Message edited by jeffrozar -- 17.Aug.2006 6:36:20 PM >
Thanks for the reply - there is, and 135 is open. But, I gave up on straight RPC, and instead chose to do RPC over HTTP because of the security. I couldn't get that to work, either, after setting up the ISA box and client with Outlook. But with a little help, I discovered the RPC Proxy needed to be installed on the Exchange server. Once I installed that and created a certificate for non-domain laptops and the ISA server, everything worked great.
I called MS tech supp for help on configuring this setup, and they *strongly* recommended not to use RPC publishing and opening port 135. I also found that I didn't have RPC over HTTP installed on the Exchange 2k3 server.
I read and apply article but wireless client not connect exchange.I try local host file and dns. I have one SBS 2003 SP1 (isa2004 and exchange2003 latest srv pack) server.
SBS External nic: ip:10.0.0.201 gateway:10.0.0.138 ( my zyxel ADSL router DMZ port) dns:192.168.0.1 ------------------- SBS internal link: ip:192.168.0.1 gateway: blank dns:192.168.0.1 -------------------- Zyxel ADSL router: DMZ port: 10.0.0.138 lan-Wlan: 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254 lan to dmz and dmz to lan =allow ------------
< Message edited by ilkeryildiz -- 20.Oct.2006 7:30:03 PM >
In our office we have established a RPC (not RPC over HTTP) connection to our Exchange based on your article “allowing Outlook MAPI client access from anywhere using the Secure Exchange RPC”
We use Exchange Server 2003 SE full patched, the ISA Server 2004 SE with Service Pack 2. Both are running on different Windows 2003 Servers. They are full patched as well.
Maybe I should note that the Exchange is running in a Virtual Machine.
The Clients are running Windows XP (all Clients have the latest Patches) and are using Outlook Professional 2003 (the “Service Pack 2” for Office 2003 Professional is also installed).
The problem is that some clients are able to connect to the Exchange over RPC but others not. The client is permanently trying to connect to the Exchange but cannot complete it. There are no entries in the event log on the Exchange Server. There are also no entries in the event log of the Client. I compared the settings on working clients with those that are not working more than 10 times. They are all identically.
The problem does not only exist with one client altogether. There are 6 or 7 Clients with this problem and approximately 15 or 18 clients which don’t have this problem.
I am having a problem publishing the Exchange RPC. Seems like DNS issue to me. I currently have the following set up:
Windows Server 2003 SBS (DC, Exchange 2003 only) Windows Server 2003 Standard with ISA 2004 (Member Server)
I have a split DNS set up where my DC manages all internal DNS queries and forwards all external DNS queries to my ISP.
Domain name Set up with ISP with Host Records created.
Exchange 2003 Servername: server.chrysan.co.za A 192.168.25.1 ISA 2004 Server: ras.chrysan.co.za 192.168.25.1 (Internal Adapter) 188.8.131.52 (External Adapter) (DNS addresses on external adapter point to 192.168.25.1)
The external host record is as folows server.chrysan.co.za A 184.108.40.206
Internal clients and External clients can resolve server.chrysan.co.za to the correct ips from their respective locations.
I have followed all instructions you said correctly. However outlook 2007 gives a error that it cannot connect to the exchange server and cannot be resolved.