• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

MX Records

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> MX Records Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MX Records - 3.Apr.2005 11:40:00 PM   
joefromjersey200

Please helpI am very close to getting this working. Im publishing one Exchange Server 2003 (front and back all in one) behind an ISA 2004 firewall

I realize my A record needs to point to my external nic on my ISA Server what about my MX record where should it point? to my mail server or to my ISA Server?
Could you give an example please?
Post #: 1
RE: MX Records - 4.Apr.2005 8:20:00 AM   
Tom Decaluwe

Hi mismcsejersey,
Not mutch of an example to be given. Just as your ISA will redirect the incomming www (port 80/ssl) traffic that falls on it because of the A record pointing to the external nic of the ISA. So will it redirect the SMTP traffic fromt he ISA to any internal smtp server.

So just have your MX record point to the extranal ISA NIC's ip and setup the right rules on the ISA 2004.

Tom DecaluwT

(in reply to joefromjersey200)
Post #: 2
RE: MX Records - 4.Apr.2005 1:50:00 PM   
joefromjersey200

Let me be a bit more specific in what I am asking...I justed installed Exchange 2003 (typical install, all in one-front and back together). Let's say the machine name is john and AD domain is xyz.org and my email address is abc.org(I changed the email address in Exchange). I am installing GFI Mail Security on my Exchange Server.
I also have ISA 2004 installed on another machine. Let's say the ISA machine name is mike and the IP is 111.111.111.111.

Now I read this article
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/isa/2004/plan/exchage2003.mspx

And my confusion is this statement:
Mail Exchanger (MX) [10] smtp.contoso.com.
smtp Host (A) 192.168.0.2

Given what I stated above what would my A and MX records be?

Post #: 3
RE: MX Records - 4.Apr.2005 1:57:00 PM   
WyldWolf

mismcsejersey,

MX: mail.abc.org

mail.abc.org A: 111.111.111.111 (assuming this is the external ISA address to which you are publishing your mail server)

Hope this helps.

Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> MX Records Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts