• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

NTLM Authentiation for RPC over HTTP

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> NTLM Authentiation for RPC over HTTP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NTLM Authentiation for RPC over HTTP - 8.Jun.2005 9:26:00 AM   
john@infoman.net

I have an ISA 2004 server up and running for an Exchange 2003 system and Internet access works for OWA & Smartphones but I can't get RPC over HTTP to work (the boards show a number of users that have problems with this). The reason we are looking at NTLM is due to a number of problems with Basic Authentication ... users flub their password and then lock out their accounts. I have broken out this access to two rules & DNS names to get this working.

Tom's articles show RPC over HTTP publishing for ISA 2000 ... do you plan to upgrade them for ISA 2004? I plan to buy your books ... whatever it takes to get this working. Everything I have read here and at MS shows only Basic Authentication configuration. We may be going the wrong direction but I need users to be able to log into their laptop on the Internet, open Outlook and for it to just work without problems.

My apologies but my ISA server is on a perimeter DMZ with a single NIC (I know ... I read your trailer).
Post #: 1
RE: NTLM Authentiation for RPC over HTTP - 8.Jun.2005 5:18:00 PM   
john@infoman.net

Well, I seem to have solved my own problem. My issues was that, when I split out the rules on the ISA server, I forgot to add the /rpc/* directory to the new rule. Adding this back in fixed the problem.

What I am still looking for is good documentation that explains the different authentication settings that you can choose in the Outlook client (Basic, NTLM) in coordination with what you select on the ISA server (Digest, Basic, Integrated, FBA, etc.). I don't know if I should be selecting Integrated on ISA for NTLM on the client or if I should skip authentication all together and let the Exchange Front-end handle this. Choosing Integrated or Basic in ISA do the same thing ... the Outlook 2003 client simply connects with no prompts.

(in reply to john@infoman.net)
Post #: 2
RE: NTLM Authentiation for RPC over HTTP - 8.Jun.2005 5:26:00 PM   
mcoyle

I'm almost positive that Basic must be used because the username needs to be passed through to the exchange server. NTLM/Integrated, in this case, only sends the username to the immediate server (ISA) and the exchange server gets an anonymous logon.

(in reply to john@infoman.net)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> Exchange Publishing >> NTLM Authentiation for RPC over HTTP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts