• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Is there any difference between internal and external networks ( except the names )

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> General >> Is there any difference between internal and external networks ( except the names ) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is there any difference between internal and external n... - 20.Aug.2004 7:12:00 PM   
penrose.l@2college.nl

Is there ?
I mean , I use only internal networks , even for DMZ or external links , because I feel comfortable using homogenous things in a firewall. But I was wondering why microsoft calls it 'external' and 'internal'. Why is there not only 1 and it's called 'network' or something ?

Lex P
Post #: 1
RE: Is there any difference between internal and extern... - 20.Aug.2004 11:27:00 PM   
asher

I don't know if there is a real difference, but if you look at the system policies u can see that there are some rules defined there, that use the extrenal & internal networks...
The rules are defined in a way that the internal network is protected from the external network.

Regards,
Asher

(in reply to penrose.l@2college.nl)
Post #: 2
RE: Is there any difference between internal and extern... - 21.Aug.2004 12:00:00 AM   
penrose.l@2college.nl

hi ,

No I'm sorry I haven't been clear.
I am not referencing the default 'internal' and 'external' networks.
I mean , when you create a new network , you have a choice of a perimeter / internal / external network. But they seem to do exactly the same.
Is there a difference between them ?

Post #: 3
RE: Is there any difference between internal and extern... - 21.Aug.2004 2:40:00 AM   
grinn253

quote:
Originally posted by Lex Penrose:
hi ,

No I'm sorry I haven't been clear.
I am not referencing the default 'internal' and 'external' networks.
I mean , when you create a new network , you have a choice of a perimeter / internal / external network. But they seem to do exactly the same.
Is there a difference between them ?

Thanks Lex! I have the same question also, and was waiting for someone to ask. [Smile]
Edgardo

Post #: 4
RE: Is there any difference between internal and extern... - 21.Aug.2004 4:01:00 AM   
tshinder

Hey guys,

Its a secret [Wink]

Tom

Post #: 5
RE: Is there any difference between internal and extern... - 21.Aug.2004 4:10:00 PM   
penrose.l@2college.nl

Hi Tom ,

It still is a secret. Could you share it with us ? We won't tell anyone [Smile]

LexP

Post #: 6
RE: Is there any difference between internal and extern... - 23.Aug.2004 3:14:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Lex,

OK, I'll let you know the secret:

There is no difference! [Big Grin]

HTH,
Tom

Post #: 7
RE: Is there any difference between internal and extern... - 25.Aug.2004 11:21:00 PM   
penrose.l@2college.nl

lol [Smile]
well that clears things up.

Post #: 8
RE: Is there any difference between internal and extern... - 27.Jan.2006 11:04:33 PM   
RedSunshine

This one has been bugging me too!  I have found absolutely no difference between External & Perimeter when you define a new network.  However, I did notice a small difference when you choose Internal.  Wanna know what it is?

Answer:  When you define a new network and you choose Internal during the wizard process, you will find the "Enable Firewall client support for this network" will be automatically checked for you on the Firewall Client" tab.

So why the choice between External and Perimeter if they will give you the exact same result?  That's still a mystery.  The only thing I can come up with is MS put this in for future features.  I can only speculate that they wanted to way change the default parameters based on the network type selected in the wizard.  (Even though in the current release, there is no difference.)

Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> General >> Is there any difference between internal and external networks ( except the names ) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts