• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

slow throughput

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> General >> slow throughput Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
slow throughput - 19.Dec.2004 11:55:00 PM   
accentconsulting

It's a well known fact that there is no bandwidth limiting in ISA 2004, my internet connection is only 3Mb/sec into the server, server runs at 2-4% cpu, and roughly 50% utilization on ram(512)...

But I am only able to get 220-240Kb/sec though my ISA server from the internet connection? I replaced the bridge(aka modem) that it was hooking into for my DSL line with one that I knew could handle the throughput, thinking the old one was above capacity, and did a quick test with a XP box plugged straight into it, with a Public IP, and I was able to get the expected 340Kb/sec.

I then plugged in the ISA server again, plugged the same XP machine back into the network, and I'm only getting 220-240Kb/sec again (I'm pulling off one my servers with a 10Mb/Sec pipe and I know it's not even at 5% currently so it's not a problem on that end)

I then went to the ISA server, and tried to pull the same file down from the same server, and was able to get the same 220-240Kb/sec throughput...

Ideas on where I'm loosing 100Kb/sec of bandwidth??
Post #: 1
RE: slow throughput - 20.Dec.2004 10:57:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Accent,

Sounds like a hardware problem on the ISA firewall.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to accentconsulting)
Post #: 2
RE: slow throughput - 28.Dec.2004 9:13:00 PM   
accentconsulting

doubtfull, the server is a brand new dell less then 60 days old...

Post #: 3
RE: slow throughput - 28.Dec.2004 10:09:00 PM   
watts3000

This is what a some suggested in another form I did not try it yet be you can see if it well help you out

ISA Server 2004 sets the registry key EnablePMTUDetection to 0 upon installation which effectively makes the MTU 576 for outbound requests. This registry modification is in compliance with 324270 How To Harden the TCP/IP Stack Against Denial of Service Attacks in Windows Server 2003

Take a trace on the external NIC during the testing and see what the MTU is - it should be 576.

To change this, go into the registry and under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, change the registry value for EnablePMTUDetection to 1 and reboot. Test again and see if the performance changes. You should see a significant improvement

Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> General >> slow throughput Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts