• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

VM and ISA - can this work?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> General >> VM and ISA - can this work? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
VM and ISA - can this work? - 14.Jan.2005 12:46:00 AM   
jmunyan

I just read the ISA Lab configuration tutorial and have a question about it. I am in a situation where I am moving a webserver of mine into a colo. The contraint, electricity and rack space.

I am considering a wide range of options ranging from a low power consumption hw firewall, to no firewall at all. In between the two I am thinking of a possible ISA 2k4 solution either real or virtual. Remember I have only one box.

The box runs iis, cfm, and sql. I will need to administer this box remotely, and be able to mount it.

Would it be possible to us VP2004 to build an Isa 2k4 instance and have internet traffic, first pass through the ISA VM and then out to the physical host who would serve content and then return this traffic back to the VM ISA and back out of the internet.

I think what is confusing me is the where the VM enters the network stack of the physical host. The point is to have ISA picking this up and then the physical host. Is something like this possible. I know it would be advisable to have two boxes but this isn't a possiblity.

I have also considered installing Isa 2k4 directly onto the webbox. Which operationally, seems like a better bet, but more prone to an epic explosion. Thus I am frowning on adding ISA directly to the box in favor of a VM solution.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

John
Post #: 1
RE: VM and ISA - can this work? - 14.Jan.2005 11:53:00 AM   
penrose.l@2college.nl

hm well theoretically both your options should work , although I have not tried the first option so far. The second option works , but is not at all recommended. ( lots of threads on that issue ).

I wouldn't go for option 1 either since it's really not tested and you could get into trouble very quickly. On the other hand , if you're a pioneer you might try it for fun ( don't know if your boss will like it though haha )

Kind regards,
Lexp

(in reply to jmunyan)
Post #: 2
RE: VM and ISA - can this work? - 16.Jan.2005 6:13:00 PM   
jmunyan

Thanks, actually the solutions I went with given the constraints was to use ipsec filters and ts to move content. I think this solution meets the bar in most respects while keeping the implimentation as simple as possible.

Cheers,

John

(in reply to jmunyan)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> General >> VM and ISA - can this work? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts