• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Command Line FTP Access Help

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> General >> Command Line FTP Access Help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Command Line FTP Access Help - 14.Mar.2005 1:52:00 PM   
trotterd

Hello, I have had ISA 2004 for a few days now and having a bit of a learning curve. We are migrating from a Raptor 6.5 Server.

What I want to do is allow a command line FTP from a client (2000 Server and UNIX)to get access to an external web site.

On the raptor you initiated a FTP command from the command line to the Firewall host. The Firewall would greet you with a banner and a user logon.

You then type in username then an @ symbol and then FTP Address.

e.g. anonymouse@ftp.microsoft.com

The Firewall would then use it's built in Proxy Server to Proxy your FTP Request outbound to the Internet.

The main reason this worked for us is because our internal Network will not route Internet addresses to the Firewall. And our DNS only resolves internal hosts.

Can I setup the ISA Firewall to allow me to proxy command line FTP outbound baring in mind you can't setup a proxy configuration for command line FTP.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance

Dave
Post #: 1
RE: Command Line FTP Access Help - 14.Mar.2005 8:53:00 PM   
Rickymag

Hello Dave,

You need to open up an FTP rule for you to be able to access the FTP server. Remember that by default ISA 2004 sets all FTP rules as read only so if you want write access you need to right click the FTP properties and setup the write access.

HTH

RM

(in reply to trotterd)
Post #: 2
RE: Command Line FTP Access Help - 21.Mar.2005 2:21:00 PM   
trotterd

Hello,

Thanks for the reply but I have the rule created and all works through Internet Explorer. But the command line FTP from Windows command prompt is causing me a problem.

On the old RAPTOR Firewall I would normally type:-

c:\ftp 10.xxx.xxx.xxx (Or the firewall hostname)

This would then prompt me for user name. At that point you would type user@ftp.microsoft.com.

This proxyed your request out.

With the ISA Server I don't think you can do this and I might have to put a DNS entry for each FTP site that we access and a static routes on the internal network routers to forward any requests for the addresses to the firewall.

Regards,

Dave

(in reply to trotterd)
Post #: 3
RE: Command Line FTP Access Help - 21.Mar.2005 8:33:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Dave,

ISA Server doesn't have a real FTP proxy server. Instead it uses an intelligent FTP application filter which handles the FTP protocol. Therefore, ISA server is completely transparent for the clients.

For more info, check out my article http://www.isaserver.org/articles/How_the_FTP_protocol_Challenges_Firewall_Security.html .

BTW --- when you use the Firewall client, ISA server can do DNS lookups on behalf of the clients.

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to trotterd)
Post #: 4
RE: Command Line FTP Access Help - 30.Mar.2005 8:19:00 AM   
trotterd

OK Thanks for the info. I don't suppose anybody has any recommendadtions for a UNIX ftp client. Something that you can pass a script through.

Thanks

Dave

(in reply to trotterd)
Post #: 5
RE: Command Line FTP Access Help - 30.Mar.2005 9:18:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Dave,

again, the ISA server is completely transparent for the FTP clients. Therefore a SecureNAT client, for example a Unix box, is fully supported.

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to trotterd)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> General >> Command Line FTP Access Help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts