• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

load balancing not working on trunk cards ?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> General >> load balancing not working on trunk cards ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
load balancing not working on trunk cards ? - 25.Apr.2005 3:25:00 PM   
evdelft

I hope i can give a short but accurate description.
We have three DELL poweredge 2850 building a ISA2004 enterprise cluster with load balancing.
Each server has three physical NICs.2 x broadcom build in, 1 x 3Com) One of the nics (3com) is configured as a trunk card, so mulitple Vlans are running on that one interface.
It seems loadbalancing is disabled when we use the trunk card. iIf we use the physical nics everything works great but we do need the multiple Vlans. So we have to invest a lot in quadcards to get things working with multiple vlans.( at least 9 quad cards, so expensive! )The cheapest and most flexible way is If we could use the 3Com trunkcard with 12 vlans. This configuration works great without the loadbalancing with ISA.
Using the ISA loadbalancing has another important advantace, supporting double infinity i.e
Any thoughts?

[ April 25, 2005, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: SED_NL ]
Post #: 1
RE: load balancing not working on trunk cards ? - 27.Apr.2005 3:48:00 PM   
Jur

Hi,

We have the same problem. We have two ISA server 2004 EE with (hopefully) NLB. We have in each ISA server one Intel DUAL NIC. Each Ethernet interface has a trunk connected with 2 VLAN's.

Everything works okay till NLB is enabled. We get then the following error:
NLB stopped - configuration failure. The firewall service failed to apply the network load balancing configuration on the local computer. The failure is due to error: 0x80070490.

I followed the MS ISA EE documents...

Unfortunately is in the ISA Server 2004 book nothing mentioned about configuring NLB in EE. Anyhow my compliments for the authors!

Is NLB not supported with trunk cards???

(in reply to evdelft)
Post #: 2
RE: load balancing not working on trunk cards ? - 20.May2005 9:42:00 AM   
al_harris

check out article ˘INFO: Using NIC Teaming Adapters with Network Load Balancing May Cause Network Problems÷ (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=18366),

It might be the dual NICs - we have the same problem with our HP servers

(in reply to evdelft)
Post #: 3
RE: load balancing not working on trunk cards ? - 20.May2005 10:12:00 AM   
It may be that there is an issue with using teamed network cards with ISA NLB over the top of it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278431#kb2

We had the same problem but removed the Teaming on the NIC's used for the Internal Networks.

This was using a HP DL380 with internal Dual Port NC7782 Gigabit Ethernet cards installed. They were configured as a team using HP teaming and we were trying to load ISA Server 2004 NLB onto that interface.

Shut down all ISA Services from within ISA Management console, dissolved the team, reloaded the same IP configuration onto a single port of the dual port card and restarted the ISA services. Hey presto - all working!

Worked for me - would be interested if it solves your problems. . . .

(in reply to evdelft)
  Post #: 4
RE: load balancing not working on trunk cards ? - 1.Jun.2005 4:09:00 PM   
lance_lea

ISA 2004 EE uses Unicast Mode for NLB; however, Intel does NOT support Unicast Mode in the following NIC Teaming Modes: AFT, SFT, ALB, ALB/RLB, SLA (IEEE 802.3ad static), DLA (IEEE 802.3ad dynamic). Until Intel releases a new driver that supports Unicast Mode, there is nothing we can do.

(in reply to evdelft)
Post #: 5
RE: load balancing not working on trunk cards ? - 1.Jun.2005 6:07:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Guys,

You can manually configure multicast mode, but you'll lose out on the ISA integration, IIRC.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to evdelft)
Post #: 6
RE: load balancing not working on trunk cards ? - 22.Oct.2005 8:44:00 AM   
hwilkins

What specifically do you lose if you implement in multicast mode and must disable ISA NLB integration?

(in reply to evdelft)
Post #: 7
RE: load balancing not working on trunk cards ? - 30.Apr.2006 6:32:50 AM   
nhaajuice

Thank you thank you..... I was pulling my hair out on this.

I had a LAN team.... and could NOT get NLB working..... broke the team, configured just 1 card, and everything (well.... with NLB) now works A-OK!

The next thing I'll be experimenting with (because I want the redundancy of 2 NICs) is simply give the 2nd NIC (that was previously part of the team) on each server a different IP... hmmmm wonder if that will work with NLB?!?

< Message edited by nhaajuice -- 30.Apr.2006 6:34:08 AM >

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 8
RE: load balancing not working on trunk cards ? - 16.Feb.2007 4:43:20 AM   
kris.nrj

Nice guys, Just the post i was looking for! have the exact same problem! Do any og you know if a newer intel driver is out that solves this problem? or have you solved the problem any other way?

(in reply to nhaajuice)
Post #: 9
RE: load balancing not working on trunk cards ? - 10.Jun.2007 10:09:53 AM   
sanchezh

I had EXACTLY the same issue.

I have 2 servers Dell PowerEdge 2950 with Dual Broadcomm NIC integrated on the motherboard plus 10 physical others NICs from Intel.

I am only using two physical adapters teamed in order to have redundancy and the NLB setup failed because of the same 0x80070490 errors. Also I am using VLANs built on the the team.

I have two solutions, first is to try implementing the NLB using a teamed adapter based on the broadcomm nics second is to broke the team.

Any idea ?

(in reply to kris.nrj)
Post #: 10
RE: load balancing not working on trunk cards ? - 12.Mar.2008 2:27:08 PM   
mdriest

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchezh

I had EXACTLY the same issue.

I have 2 servers Dell PowerEdge 2950 with Dual Broadcomm NIC integrated on the motherboard plus 10 physical others NICs from Intel.

I am only using two physical adapters teamed in order to have redundancy and the NLB setup failed because of the same 0x80070490 errors. Also I am using VLANs built on the the team.

I have two solutions, first is to try implementing the NLB using a teamed adapter based on the broadcomm nics second is to broke the team.

Any idea ?

I too have exactly the same issue.  I'm working on setting up ISA 2006 Enterprise on 2x Dell PowerEdge 2950 servers.  The servers each have Dual Broadcom Integrated NICs and then a single Intel Pro Dual Port Gigabit PCIe network adapter in them.

The Broadcom NICs are Teamed together with SLB and 2 VLANs.  One VLAN is for Internal and the 2nd is for the Intra Array communication.

The Intel NICs are teamed together with ALB and represent External which connects to the DMZ side of our Cisco PIX Front End Firewalls.

After following MS recommendations in articles 942639, 938550 and 912943 I still see error 0x80070490 in regards to NLB.  The exact error message on each server in the arry is "The firewall service failed to apply the Network Load Balancing configuration on the local computer.  The failure is due to error:  0x80070490".

I have created an Intra Array network with the IP Address Range for Intra Array and did not enable NLB on this network.

Has anyone gotten NLB + NIC Teaming + VLANs to work together in ISA 2006 Enterprise with MS' hotfixes?

We use NIC Teaming either Broadcom's SLB or Intel's ALB on all of our servers and will continue to do so.  I have 2x Dell PowerEdge 1950 web servers with Broadcom SLB NIC Teaming + Windows NLB enabled in multicast igmp mode with no issues.  Ofcourse there aren't any VLANs on those NICs.

Ideally I do not want to add an extra Intel Pro Server NIC to each server with crossover cable for the Intra Array communications.  I sure as heck wont dedicated 2  more switch ports to the configuration.

(in reply to sanchezh)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> General >> load balancing not working on trunk cards ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts