• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA firewall policy

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA firewall policy Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 27.Oct.2005 9:19:00 AM   
spadasoe

Here is what I am seeing:
Client A (XP SP2) uses Outlook 2003 with the Firewall client enabled (autodetect/autoconfigure) and connects to ISP mail server without any problem. Client B (XP SP2) uses either Outlook Express or Outlook XP and with the FWC enabled, cannot find the POP3 server,Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E. When the FWC is disabled, access is ok on client 2. I tried placing a policy out for POP3 but still no connection to mail server. Obviously the work-around allows functionality, but I still need to sleep> Checked GPOs, network settings, etc but can't see what is different. Help appreciated

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 21
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 1.Dec.2005 3:20:24 AM   
higgsj

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the tip to enable Outlook it solved the problem.  You insist that the firewall client is not necessary, but aren't you then depending on your network to route the traffic to the ISA server for you?  If the ISA server is not the default gateway, as is our case, then you would definitely need the client, correct?

Jonathan

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 22
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 20.Jan.2006 8:23:52 AM   
nguyennp

Dear Tom,

I read the tip about Outlook & ISA Server 2004 and solved my problem. But I noted your last statement about the problem with Internal Mail Server.

Could you please tell me what you meant 'Note that enabling the Firewall client for Outlook can have adverse effects if youíre using the Outlook 2003 client to connect to an Internal network Exchange Server via a MAPI connection.' ?

What problems we will encounter ?

Thanks

(in reply to higgsj)
Post #: 23
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 16.May2006 7:59:03 AM   
mohsen.ramezani

Dear all
Using Outlook 2003 with the Firewall Client

It is very very simple question,

Why I can not use outlook without Firewall Client?
I have windows server2000 as a server, ISA SERVER and KERIO as a mail server.
My client aer WINXP using DHCP, my DNS also work corectly.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 24
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 14.Jan.2007 11:58:55 PM   
Agung

I have the same problem with Yamahdi

"I use OutLook Express on my Client. I follow all your config on my ISA server 2004. But,on client I
recieve this: "The host 'pop.gmal.com' could not be found... Protocol POP3,Port:995,Secure(SSL):Yes..."
The Outlook express works on the ISA server machine,successfully.

Note: the ISA server machine has two NIC and a ADSL connection to internet."

Please help me.
Thanks

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 25
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 26.Mar.2007 11:01:23 PM   
romeltag

My Outlook 2003 can't connect to POP3 and SMTP after I upgraded to Windows Vista Business,

I'm using the ISA 2000 Server and I'm encountering compatibility issues of ISA client installed in my PC under Vista. I download and installed the updated firewall client for Vista published by Microsoft in the link below: 
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=05c2c932-b15a-4990-b525-66380743da89&DisplayLang=en 

File Name:
ISACLIENT-KB929556-ENU.EXE

Version:

Date Published:
12/14/2006

Language:
English

Download Size:
618 KB

No problem with my HTTP and my browser I can browse internet even without a firewall, but still my Outlook 2003 can't connect to POP3 and SMTP.

Anyone have solution to this problem please share your ideas.

Thank you.

Romel J. Tagaylo
System Administrator

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 26
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 4.Apr.2007 4:39:12 AM   
jm364D

I cannot get outlook 2003 working on ISA Server 2006.
I've follow carefully all the steps in the article, but cannot reach pop3 server neither SMTP.
In ISA server log, i have no clue about what is happening.
It seems like firewall client is not sending info to server.
------------------
Client machine : Windows XP 2002 SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP2
Firewall cliente : 4.0.3442.654
Server : windows 2003 server R2 SP2 and ISA Server 2006 5.0.5720.100
-------------------
Any help would be appreciatted.
Thanks.

(in reply to romeltag)
Post #: 27
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 6.Jun.2007 9:33:23 PM   
mkhuskey

This worked great! Am I ever glad I bought your book as well. At last finding your article fixed a 13-day old problem I've had since installing ISA Server 2004 SP3. Here's the scenario:

MS SBS 2003 SP2 Premium set up as PDC, running Exchange Server 2003 SP2. ISA Server 2004 is on the same machine. It's a by-the-book SBS installation.

Windows XP SP2 clients running Outlook 2003. The client machines and operators are joined to the domain, but log in to the local machine and authenticate when logging in to Exchange Server or their Home Directory on the server.

My specific problem was the failure of SSL e-mail connections with Outlook. I had set up POP3S and SMTPS policies for "All Users" on "Protected Networks" but it wasn't enough. Outlook Express would work but Outlook would not.

Here's my post to the MS SBS news group:
"On this date I finally discovered the problem. It turns out to be Firewall Client configuration for ISA Server 2004.

While inspecting the firewall I browsed some more areas of it that I hadn't used yet. In ISA Server 2004, under "Configuration/General/Define Firewall Client Settings", "Application Settings", I discovered the following entry for Outlook.exe:

Application: outlook
Key: Disable
Value: 1

That tweaked me to use the following search string in Google:

"firewall client" settings for Outlook

which led me to http://www.isaserver.org/articles/2004olpop3smtp.html

The article explains almost exactly what the problem was. I modified his instructions slightly to apply to my situation, being sure the POP3S and SMTPS policies were in place in the firewall, and then changing the firewall client key from Value=1 to Value=0. I then refreshed the firewall client.

This works perfectly. You sure learn to appreciate something when you spend 13 days working at it!"

I'm seeing no problems at all.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 28
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 10.Jun.2007 9:47:48 AM   
bugtook

Can anyone here give the full details on how to configure the ISA server 2004 firewall policy in accessing the POP3/SMTP mail? Can anyone here post step-by-step in configuring the ISA server 2004 firewall policy? Thank you in advance.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 29
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 11.Oct.2007 12:08:02 PM   
allrast

Hi tom. tks a lot for the article.
But unfortunately doesn't work... i mean i try to put the value as you explain and nothing... after that i found an article that tell me to do a bind to tcp and udp ports and i start to send and receive mail...

but days later some computers lose the capability to do it! and i don't now why!

now i have connection to pop3 but not to smtp.

Could you help me. thks a lot

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 30
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 29.Nov.2007 11:38:22 PM   
KimFord

Hello,
Iíve got a situation that might be interesting for someone here to tackle. 
First, Iím running ISA 2004 on a domain, call it DOMAIN1.
We also have a TRUST established with another domain, call it DOMAIN2.
Next, I have a rule allowing outbound Internet access via the ISA server for clients in a specific security group.  This works.
And, I have created a Domain Local security group in DOMAIN1 containing specific users from DOMAIN2 who often visit our sites and want access to the Internet.
Within ISA, Iíve granted access to this Domain Local security group to the Internet Access rule, and this works.  Also, Windows Live messenger works, as it uses the IE proxy settings.  When I remove the Domain Local security group from this rule, the users cannot browse or use IM.
Now, hereís the interesting part:  I have modified the settings on the ISA server to allow Outlook to not be ignored per your article and suggestions within.  Iíve also created a rule for outbound DNS, POP, & SMTP and granted this Domain Local (users from DOMAIN2) group access to it.
DOMAIN2 users log into their laptops with their DOMAIN2 credentials at DOMAIN1 locations.  After login, they are prompted by ISA for user credentials.  They use their DOMAIN2 credentials and IE and IM work.  However, Outlook 2003 still errors out when sending and receiving mail.
In reviewing the logs, there seems to be no traffic on 110 or 25 in the ISA monitor logs. 
Also, Iíve tried to use this both with and without the Firewall Client.  When using the Firewall Client, hovering the mouse above the system tray icon reveals the message, ďCannot Authenticate to ISA Server ÖĒ
I would assume that there was a problem authenticating these ďforeign accountsĒ in the Domain Local security group; however, since these users can be allowed/denied access via the ISA Internet Access rule, Iím re-questioning that concept.
To further troubleshoot, Iíve modified the hosts file on the laptops to ensure that DNS resolution is working properly as well as adding this Domain Local Security Group to another rule that grants full access to this Domain Local Security Group.
In short, users from DOMAIN2 seem to be able to browse and use IM through ISA, but cannot use Outlook 2003 for POP & SMTP email.  This occurs both with and without the FWC.  Iím still leaning towards an authentication issue, but canít seem to find the solution.
Got Milk?

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 31
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 8.May2008 4:49:01 PM   
GameLister

hi

does that solution work for me ?
Isa Server 2006 and outlook 2007 with mixed Clients some in a DC and Others not ?
and may any client that uses my wireless network to connect to his mail using outlook connect automaticly with out the need to do the mirrored username and password or it's a condition and a must for out look to eork with my isa server ?

thanks

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 32
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 11.Nov.2008 4:24:24 AM   
wmowafi

Dear Tom;

Thanks a lot for your article. I am running ISA server 2006 with outlook 2003, and I did what you recommend to enable outlook through ISA, and it worked for me well.

but my problem now it didn't work for outlook 2007.. do you have any suggestion please as most of my users do use outlook 2007 instead of 2003.

also my question is that POP3 and SMTP work only with the firewall client and secureNAT and doesn't work for web proxy client, am I right?

Thanks and regards;

Waleed;

(in reply to GameLister)
Post #: 33
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 16.Nov.2008 8:26:34 AM   
wmowafi

Dears;

I had solved the probelm, its not outlook 2007 problem or ISA problem.

I found that the antivirus I am using (ESET smart security Version 3.0.621.0) was causing this problem. any way when I uninstall it, the problem solved and outlook 2007 can send and receive properly...
I hope any one uses this antivirus to note this....

regards;

Waleed;

(in reply to wmowafi)
Post #: 34
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 2.Mar.2009 2:43:01 PM   
isenbuegel

Dear  Mr. Shinder, dear board,

Thank you very much for you article about using Outlook without firewallclient.
My case is a little bit different from your scenario.

My ISA2006 is part of a Domain (2k3) in a typical class C Networt 192.168.0.1 Ė 192.168.0.254 . Everything works fine so far.

But my ISA Server has an additional networkadapter in another segment 192.168.20.1 -192.168.20.50.
These computerss are members of another domain which is not known from my ISA.
I need to access pop3 and smtp out of this "strange" network.

The only way to realize pop3 and smpt access is, to add the second networkadapter (ip-range) to the "internal" network, and mirror the "strange user" accounts in the local users of my ISA.

But with this method I have to create a rule "all ports ->internal -> external -> all users".

Thatís not like I want it, because I donít want to open my firewall this far.

I tried another method without success:
Creating a new network called "strange" with the ip-segement 192.168.20.1 -192.168.20.50
Rule: "all ports -> strange->external->all users"
But my users can't access pop3, smpt with this rule (users are still mirrored).  
If I view the logs the ISA says "access denied by rule"    Which rule is meant?  

I think I found the right place for some good ideas here in this forum!

(in reply to wmowafi)
Post #: 35
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 4.Mar.2009 2:08:23 AM   
Budmaas

Strange problem with client pc pop3 & SMTP. .. ...may be I'm doing something wrong here....

with refrence to my post below in ISA 2004 General....

http://forums.isaserver.org/m_2002081802/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#2002081903

I upgraded from ISA 2004 to ISA 2006.

The host 'mail.abc-xyz.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'mail.abc-ksa.com', Server: 'mail.abc-xyz.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

with Local DNS - not working
with Interne company DNS - not working
with Mail & Hosting company DNS - not working.

Strange is that - on Server it is working ......

IT LOOKS LIKE ONLY I AM NOT SUFFERING FROM ISA.[8|

Adding Log file Snap

< Message edited by Budmaas -- 5.Mar.2009 6:21:37 AM >

(in reply to isenbuegel)
Post #: 36
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 20.Mar.2010 11:14:35 AM   
jwsb

Mr. Jones,

I need your help, I have problems with the salient mail SMTP.

I have ISA SERVER 2004, and a user who has Windows 7 and Office 2007.
This user cannot send mail from the Outlook but he can recieved. The
user does not have problems when login from his house, for what seems
that the problem is that ISA stop the mail goes out.
How can I do to solve the problem?.

Thanks

John

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 37
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 12.Apr.2010 5:14:30 AM   
vabdulrahim

I need your help urgently,
We are using ISA 2004 and Using ISA client, i can access pop3 no problem. But If I Disable ISA client I cant access. Is there any setup in ISA for allowing access..? Becouse there are some users who not belongs to our domain, and they wanted to use their email via pop3. How Can give them access to user their email via pop3 in outlook 2003. I tried installing isa client for them to solve the issue but it is getting disabled.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 38
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 4.Jul.2010 10:29:00 AM   
zlatan24

quote:

ORIGINAL: spadasoe

Here is what I am seeing:<br />Client A (XP SP2) uses Outlook 2003 with the Firewall client enabled (autodetect/autoconfigure) and connects to ISP mail server without any problem. Client B (XP SP2) uses either Outlook Express or Outlook XP and with the FWC enabled, cannot find the POP3 server,Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E. When the FWC is disabled, access is ok on client 2. I tried placing a policy out for POP3 but still no connection to mail server. Obviously the work-around allows functionality, but I still need to sleep> Checked GPOs, network settings, etc but can't see what is different. Help appreciated

At work with MS Outlook I have seen a lot of interesting unpleasant problems. But several days ago I was in the Internet and observed there - export .pst .eml. This tool liked me and it recovered a lot of my old damaged emails. It showed how it recovers data after power failures, viruses, hacker attacks and file system corruption. Besides I advised it for my friend and he was satisfied and thanked me.

(in reply to spadasoe)
Post #: 39
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 13.Jul.2010 4:20:46 AM   
farzadshokri

hi
I followed all configs , but it  works fine in the case of choosing "external" in "To" option of policy rule. when I use  as sepecific domain set(domain of our external mail server) client can not access pop3 server neither SMTP server. any help is appreciated

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 40

Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA firewall policy Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts