• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA firewall policy

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA firewall policy Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA firew... - 25.Jul.2004 8:39:00 PM   
tshinder

This thread is for discussing the article on how the Firewall client interacts with the Outlook 2003 application at http://isaserver.org/articles/2004olpop3smtp.html.

Thanks!
Tom

[ July 25, 2004, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: tshinder ]
Post #: 1
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 27.Jul.2004 3:48:00 PM   
bbeach

[Eek!] Oops.

Tom, you might want to change the following:

"Return to the Firewall Client Settings dialog box. Click the Outlook entry and then click the Edit button. In the Application Entry Setting dialog box, change the Value from 0 to 1. Then click OK."

It should read "from 1 to 0". Hopefully people following the instructions in the article will see that the image has a 0 as the Value, and realize that the earlier image had a 1.

-Bill

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 2
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 27.Jul.2004 4:42:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Bill,

Yikes! I'll fix that now.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 23.Aug.2004 11:52:00 AM   
alexjinchina

Thank you to fix my problem.
But i have found that if i used ip address to replace the domain name, outlook 2003 can work correctly.
How do you think about this?
Is the FW client disable the DNS?
Thank you.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 4
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 24.Aug.2004 1:32:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Alex,

Shouldn't make any difference, since the Firewall client is aware of what domains and addresses are not local.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 24.Aug.2004 6:08:00 PM   
wbartussek

Tom, why did you focus on the situation that both, the ISA server computer and the client, are not members of a domain? What would be different, if both are members of a domain (my situation)?

Thanks!
Wolfram

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 25.Aug.2004 1:51:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Wolfram,

I just wanted to make clear the nature of my setup. It works the same when the client and firewall are both members of the domain.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 7
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 1.Sep.2004 1:20:00 PM   
mirthann16

i got the reply about outlook and isa server client configuration from Tom it was very helpful but how can solve the problem if there was an exchange server in the isa server computer?

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 8
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 15.Oct.2004 3:28:00 AM   
Thanks for your article it solved one problem but caused another! I have ISA 2004 running on a DC (2000 AS) at home (where I work!) and several clients that my family want to pick email up from (Outlook 2000). Prior to your article no clients could get email access. I followed the article and wey - hey, all my clients now have email access but my DC (which I use for email) can not now get email access. I know its probably not the best way to set up ISA, but I'm restricted on space and funds!
Can anyone help!

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 9
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 20.Oct.2004 11:04:00 AM   
Hi This works fine but what are the disadvantages of using this method?. (changing outlook from 1 to 0). Tom, in the article you said "Note that enabling the Firewall client for Outlook can have adverse effects if youĈre using the Outlook 2003 client to connect to an Internal network Exchange Server via a MAPI connection." Could you be more specific about what the advere effects are?
Thanx
Tommy

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 10
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 20.Oct.2004 3:06:00 PM   
tshinder

quote:
Originally posted by mirthann16:
i got the reply about outlook and isa server client configuration from Tom it was very helpful but how can solve the problem if there was an exchange server in the isa server computer?

Hi Mithann,

That configuration is not supported. The ISA firewall must not have Exchange running on it.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 11
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 20.Oct.2004 3:08:00 PM   
tshinder

quote:
Originally posted by <Jon Greenwood>:
Thanks for your article it solved one problem but caused another! I have ISA 2004 running on a DC (2000 AS) at home (where I work!) and several clients that my family want to pick email up from (Outlook 2000). Prior to your article no clients could get email access. I followed the article and wey - hey, all my clients now have email access but my DC (which I use for email) can not now get email access. I know its probably not the best way to set up ISA, but I'm restricted on space and funds!
Can anyone help!

Hi Jon,

At this time, running the ISA firewall on a DC should be considered a non-supported config. There might be some hacks, but I haven't worked them out.

Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 12
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 20.Oct.2004 3:11:00 PM   
tshinder

quote:
Originally posted by <Tommy>:
Hi This works fine but what are the disadvantages of using this method?. (changing outlook from 1 to 0). Tom, in the article you said "Note that enabling the Firewall client for Outlook can have adverse effects if youĈre using the Outlook 2003 client to connect to an Internal network Exchange Server via a MAPI connection." Could you be more specific about what the advere effects are?
Thanx
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Can't say for sure, but I've observed problems with new mail notifications. YMMV [Big Grin]

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 13
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 18.Nov.2004 4:05:00 AM   
quote:
Hi Mithann,

That configuration is not supported. The ISA firewall must not have Exchange running on it.

HTH,
Tom

Urm, SBS? So if you have sbs, then what?

Jeff

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 14
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 22.Dec.2004 11:00:00 AM   
simonwp

Thank You to fix my problem.
So happy to solve this problem.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 15
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 9.Feb.2005 12:43:00 PM   
yamahdi

Hi.
I use OutLook Express on my Client. I follow all your config on my ISA server 2004. But,on client I
recieve this: "The host 'pop.gmal.com' could not be found... Protocol POP3,Port:995,Secure(SSL):Yes..."
The Outlook express works on the ISA server machine,successfully.
Not: the ISA server machine has one NIC and a dialup connection to internet.
Please help me.
Thanks

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 16
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 18.Feb.2005 9:15:00 AM   
Hi,

I have Outlook2003 and unfortunately Incredimail.
I have to connect to Hotmail, and ONLY Incredimail is able to access it thru an ISAServer on which I do NOT HAVE ANY ACCESS.

I don't understand why Incredimail is able to access Hotmail mails while Outlook2003 can't !
More than this, I have an Outmail Plus account... required for Outlook access !

I really want to get rid of Incredimail, but right now it is IMPOSSIBLE [Mad]

Any hints will be really appreciated

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 17
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 16.Apr.2005 7:24:00 PM   
dforsman

The last post is interesting. My ISA 2004 server is not part of the domain and clients are not using the firewall client. Some of the users are part of the domain and some are not. Is there a difference between Outlook Express and Outlook 2003 accessing external POP3/SMTP servers at an ISP? My latop is part of the domain and I can both send and receive POP3 (Outlook Express) email at the ISP. Another user (Outlook 2003) is not part of the domain and has problems sending POP3 emails. The firewall has everything open outbound.

Any ideas and thanks..

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 18
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 24.Oct.2005 5:23:00 AM   
onlyamir007

Hi.
I use OutLook 2003 on my Client. I followed all your configuration on my ISA server 2004. But,on my client machine IĈm unable to receive and send email please help me
IĈm using windows 20003 standard server on same machine IĈm using Active directory domain controller

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 19
RE: Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA f... - 25.Oct.2005 5:26:00 AM   
tshinder

What protocols are not working?

Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> Discussion of the article on Outlook 2003 and ISA firewall policy Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts