why do i have to allow ping in order to allow CIFS? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Access Policies

rpetruni -> why do i have to allow ping in order to allow CIFS? (17.Mar.2005 10:01:00 AM)

When i upgraded my ISA 2k firewall to 2k4 i change the relationships between internal networks, and protect my file servers a little bit more. First thing i needed to allow to file servers was file and printer sharing ;-). So i allow CIFS protocol (UDP, and TCP). Client could access file server using IP address, but unable to access it using name. DNS was allowed. I was investigating logs and i saw that ping was initiated every time before CIFS request, so i alowed ping. After that action clients could connect to file servers using server name, before that - no. Why?
Thanks
Robert

tshinder -> RE: why do i have to allow ping in order to allow CIFS? (17.Mar.2005 2:13:00 PM)

Hi Robert,

I recall reading a KB article on this. I believe there is a way to turn this off, and it was mentioned in the article. Check out TechNet for the details.

HTH,
Tom

rpetruni -> RE: why do i have to allow ping in order to allow CIFS? (20.Mar.2005 10:13:00 PM)

Thanks for answering my question. Did not found KB article though....
Robert

Page: [1]