• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

DNS not forwarding to an internal network

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> DNS not forwarding to an internal network Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DNS not forwarding to an internal network - 5.May2005 1:27:00 AM   
snucrew05

I can not seem to get the internal network to get the DNS forwarding down to it. The server is picking up the DNS through the firewall, but it is not allowing the internal network to get the DNS information. Is there something that i am missing? I have the basic firewall access rule to allow dns to external from the internal. Thanks for your help!
Post #: 1
RE: DNS not forwarding to an internal network - 5.May2005 5:52:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi S,

What is the DNS configuration on the ISA firewall's NICs?

What is the DNS configuration on the clients?

What ISA client type(s) are you using?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to snucrew05)
Post #: 2
RE: DNS not forwarding to an internal network - 6.May2005 4:02:00 PM   
snucrew05

The ISA Firewall Nic DNS address is 192.168.100.2, the internal DNS lookup is 192.168.50.2, and the client is XP Pro, and ISA is on a Server 2003.

(in reply to snucrew05)
Post #: 3
RE: DNS not forwarding to an internal network - 23.May2005 10:12:00 AM   
TCalixto

Hello S,

To forward DNS requests from your internal (private/protected) network to the external one (public/Internet) you need to:
1) Set in the private DNS server configuration the IP address of the public DNS server (forwarder). 2) In ISA, you need to create an access rule allowing outbound DNS traffic from the internal network to the external one (preferably you narrow the traffic only to the private and public DNS servers).

Take a look at the Shinder books namely the "ISA Server and Beyond", there is an excellent dissertation on split DNS architecture and how to set up forwarders.

Best,
Tarso

(in reply to snucrew05)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> DNS not forwarding to an internal network Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts