• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfaces in front of ISA 2004 server.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Network Infrastructure >> NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfaces in front of ISA 2004 server. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfaces ... - 21.Jul.2004 9:49:00 AM   
xlagerwaard

Hi,

I just received the newsletter from isaserver.org and unfortunately i was disappointed to see that you still need a third party product like RainConnect to support multiple internet connections with ISA 2004.

RainConnect is way to expensive for the company i work for, but if i interpret the answer of question 1 of the newsletter correctly, it should be possible to support multiple external interfaces with the use of a NAT router that allows multiple internet connections.

Has anyone set up a configuration like this (NAT router with mult. int. support in front of an ISA server)? What NAT router did you use for it and what is your experience with this kind of setup?

Regards,
Xander

<QOUTE>
1. I want to have multiple external interfaces on my ISA 2004 firewall. How do I set this up?

The ISA 2004 firewall can support multiple external interfaces. However, only one of those interfaces can be configured with a default gateway. Any other external interface will need to use information in the ISA 2004 firewall's routing table to reach remote locations. If you want to use multiple Internet interfaces on the ISA 2004 firewall, then check out an excellent product from Rainfinity named RainConnect. The RainConnect software allows you to have as many Internet connections you like. In addition, RainConnect will allow you to publish servers using multiple Internet connections - something not possible with cheap NAT router solutions that allow multiple Internet connections.
</QOUTE>
Post #: 1
RE: NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfa... - 21.Jul.2004 11:17:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Xander,

Yes.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to xlagerwaard)
Post #: 2
RE: NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfa... - 22.Jul.2004 1:50:00 PM   
kirkm

Is there anything else to be said about this topic?

---
What NAT router did you use for it and what is your experience with this kind of setup?
----

Is there any documentation about this topic somewhere else?

Thanks.

Post #: 3
RE: NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfa... - 22.Jul.2004 4:06:00 PM   
cdrasmu

Hello there are two products that could work, but we have to try them:
One is Vicomsoft Intergate, I dont know if you can put it in the same PC that has the ISA, today I have asked Vicomsoft for help. The other one is Sygat Office Network (i do not know if they have discontinued the product(this week it has disappeared from there web site), but will have a reply soon. You should find it somewhere in the Web)
I have tried the products with ISA 2000 on a PC and on another PC the Vicomsoft or Sygate with two ADSL routers or modems. One is 256K and the other is 512K and you can download at 700 and 800K. The ISP are from diferrent companys and it works.
The setup for Vicomsoft is like this (and that surely is the problem for installing it on the same machine with ISA).
Local : IP:10.10.10.1 Gateway:10.10.10.255 it is an IP on the same machine
And the two NICs with adsl has the TCP protocol disabled!
Sygate is more standard and uses the setup of the NICs with TCP enabled. But I think that Intergate is more stable, and a better product
At least with this setup you can buy a Intergate for 5 users for $99 and have bandwidth agregation for all the users!It is 2900 less than Rainconnect!

Post #: 4
RE: NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfa... - 22.Jul.2004 6:38:00 PM   
kirkm

Thanks.

That is what I wanted to see. The price issue was what I really needed to see resolved. $3000 was not going to happen here.

Post #: 5
RE: NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfa... - 22.Jul.2004 8:43:00 PM   
xlagerwaard

Thank you for the responses so far !

Tom, could you please share with us with what NAT router you used and did it perform well ?

Thanks,
Xander

Post #: 6
RE: NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfa... - 23.Jul.2004 3:47:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Xander,

The old ProTurbo800 (Symantec bought the company) and this:

http://www.xincom.com/twr602.html

The above is a very slick product. It also includes a basic packet filtering firewall (not very secure by itself, like most "hardware" firewalls, but it does add to the overall security design). The price is right and it also includes QoS. You can't beat the price.

I've used other ones, including the Sygate Home Office software, but if you can't afford RainConnect, the Xincom product is worth a look.

HTH,
Tom

Post #: 7
RE: NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfa... - 26.Jul.2004 10:15:00 AM   
xlagerwaard

Hi Tom,

The xincom router does exactly what i need for a fair price.

Thanks for your tip!

Regards,
Xander

[ July 26, 2004, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Xander Lagerwaard ]

Post #: 8
RE: NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfa... - 26.Jul.2004 2:42:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Xander,

You bet!

Thanks!
Tom

Post #: 9
RE: NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfa... - 8.Aug.2004 8:07:00 AM   
ralden@ralden.com

I am using the Xincom XC-DPG602 right now in front of ISA. Yes, some subset of it works. It is also an amateurish product with plenty of subtle bugs and shortcomings; the documentation is appallingly bad, and the tech support is non-existent. I am taking a serious look at the RAD product and am leaning towards RainConnect in spite of the absurd price. I just wish MSFT was smart enough to put RainConnect inside ISA so we could be done with these silly add-on band-aids for such fundamental functionality.

Post #: 10
RE: NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfa... - 8.Aug.2004 12:25:00 PM   
xlagerwaard

Hi Roland,

What bugs/shortcomings did you experience ?

Thanks,
Xander

Post #: 11
RE: NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfa... - 9.Aug.2004 2:11:00 AM   
tshinder

quote:
Originally posted by Roland Alden:
I am using the Xincom XC-DPG602 right now in front of ISA. Yes, some subset of it works. It is also an amateurish product with plenty of subtle bugs and shortcomings; the documentation is appallingly bad, and the tech support is non-existent. I am taking a serious look at the RAD product and am leaning towards RainConnect in spite of the absurd price. I just wish MSFT was smart enough to put RainConnect inside ISA so we could be done with these silly add-on band-aids for such fundamental functionality.

Hi Roland,

Thanks for the info! I know that you'll be able to get the RainConnect feature with the ISA firewalls offered by www.rimapp.com

HTH,
Tom

Post #: 12
RE: NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfa... - 10.Aug.2004 7:42:00 PM   
ralden@ralden.com

The biggest problem (the internal DNS server just didn't work with a combo static+dynamic IP setup) was fixed in the latest firmware release. The conventional setup with "dyndns.org" didn't work at all last time I tried it (a couple of firmware releases ago). The unit can save its internal config in a unreadable binary format but not plain text that you can send in to their tech support guys and ask if you've made some mistake in the config. That might not matter for two reasons: 1) their tech support dept. isn't going to reply anyway; and 2) the unit cannot *read* the config files it has saved. Thus, when you get a new firmware release which blows away your configuration you have to rebuild it by hand.

Let me be clear; it does do the most important functions for which I bought the product; it does "work." However, it very crude and unpolished (as is the company standing behind it). Only those with a high tolerance for pain should mess with this box.

Post #: 13
RE: NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfa... - 11.Aug.2004 1:47:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Roland,

Sounds like RainConnect is the way to go for a more seamless experience, although the Ximcom, like you said, get most of the job done. Rainconnect is a very polished product and does exactly what is says, but you pay a premium. I think the Rimapp product will be nice deal.

Thanks!
Tom

[ August 11, 2004, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: tshinder ]

Post #: 14

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Network Infrastructure >> NAT router with support 4 multiple external interfaces in front of ISA 2004 server. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts