• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Bug Found in the Client with ODBC?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? - 26.Aug.2004 7:22:00 PM   
charlieit

I recently installed the Microsoft Firewall Client (2004) on an XP laptop (all of the Microsoft Recommended Updates are installed). I have not configured the client at all. The laptop is not connected to the LAN/WAN (it is standalone). If I attempt to create or test an ODBC connection against a local database using the ODBC Administrator, the ODBC Admin hangs. It does not matter what driver I use--Pervasive, Microsoft SQL, etc.--the behavior is the same. I exited the client and tested the ODBC connection again and the ODBC Admin still hangs. I then uninstalled the client, and everything works fine again.

To test whether this was an isolated incident, I tested an ODBC connection against data on a Windows 2000 workstation (data is local) and the test was successful. I then installed the Firewall client and tested the ODBC connection--and I got the same behavior--the system hangs. I configured the client to use the ISA server and then tested ODBC--which still hangs. I exited out of the client and tested again--ODBC still hangs. I uninstalled the client--ODBC works fine again.

It appears that NT4 workstations are not affected.

Has anyone else seen this behavior (or know what might be causing it)? My company does nothing but work with databases all day--I hope there is a solution to this or all my hard work on ISA 2004 will be for nothing--because I won't be able to use it.

Please Help!
Post #: 1
RE: Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? - 28.Aug.2004 10:19:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Charlie,

Have you enabled the required protocols outbound?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to charlieit)
Post #: 2
RE: Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? - 29.Aug.2004 3:33:00 AM   
charlieit

If I'm simply configuring an ODBC connection to a LOCAL database (a database that exists on the same computer), is there anything that needs to be configured on the ISA Server?

(in reply to charlieit)
Post #: 3
RE: Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? - 1.Sep.2004 9:13:00 PM   
charlieit

Bug Confirmed!

The Microsoft Firewall Client conflicts with Pervasive SQL.

I am running tests now to see if there is any DLL Hell going on here...

(in reply to charlieit)
Post #: 4
RE: Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? - 1.Sep.2004 9:22:00 PM   
charlieit

Bug confirmed with Pervasive 2000i. The Firewall client and Pervasive 8 (the latest version) appear to get along fine.

(in reply to charlieit)
Post #: 5
RE: Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? - 3.Sep.2004 1:51:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Charlie,

Does this app add a LSP to the machines protocol stack?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to charlieit)
Post #: 6
RE: Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? - 8.Sep.2004 2:02:00 AM   
charlieit

Tom,

I've been working hard to try and make the proxy client work with Pervasive SQL 2000i. Is there an easy way to tell if the app adds an LSP to the protocol stack? In Pervasive's KB, they mention "Pervasive Network Services Layer"--sounds like it is indeed a possibility.

If they do add an LSP, is there a workaround?

(in reply to charlieit)
Post #: 7
RE: Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? - 8.Sep.2004 4:36:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Charlie,

Might be. Here's a quick look article on Winsock LSPs:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcecomm5/html/wce50conlayeredprotocolsandprotocolchains.asp

HTH<
Tom

(in reply to charlieit)
Post #: 8
RE: Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? - 10.Sep.2004 5:01:00 AM   
charlieit

Thanks Tom,

There doesn't appear to be a test I could run to identify whether Pervasive SQL 2000i uses LSP's. However, I looked in Pervasive's settings and saw that the ODBC Administrator is set to use Winsock TCP/IP as the preferred protocol when talking to Pervasive (and there wasn't a better option). So suspicions are very high that LSP's are used.

Now that I have identified that Pervasive SQL 2000i and the Microsoft Firewall Client do not play nicely with each other, and that this very probably is due to the fact that Pervasive uses LSP's, is there anything I can do about it?

You must have run into this sort of thing before--any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

(in reply to charlieit)
Post #: 9
RE: Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? - 21.Sep.2004 4:32:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Charlie,

If that's the case, you have to work with you have. You have non-compatible products.

Now the question is, why do you need the Firewall client on this host?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to charlieit)
Post #: 10
RE: Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? - 22.Sep.2004 11:06:00 PM   
charlieit

My company develops software which supports Pervasive SQL and Microsoft SQL. Pervasive SQL and Microsoft SQL is installed on every person's computer within the organization (developers need it to develop apps, customer support needs it to support the product, sales needs it to demonstrate the product, etc.).

When I started this project, a friend of mine (who is also a LAN Admin) warned me that it took him weeks to install, configure, and test ISA Server and when he began to deploy it using the firewall client he had so many issues with the client locking up computers (because of compatibility problems with third party software) that he had to remove ISA Server altogether. He currently has that "I told you so" grin and I'm desperately looking for a way to make it work.

(in reply to charlieit)
Post #: 11
RE: Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? - 5.Oct.2004 1:33:00 PM   
mcoazzoli

Hi
may be i have a similar problem with INFORMIX ODBC.

With the firewall client 2004 installed:

Making a connection with excel to the db the application hung.

The only way, to resolve this problem, i have found is to uninstall the client.

(in reply to charlieit)
Post #: 12
RE: Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? - 7.Oct.2004 7:31:00 PM   
AbqBill

Hi all,

I just thought I'd point out that the freeware tool Spybot Search & Destroy can display a list of Winsock LSPs installed on a system (switch the UI to advanced mode).

HTH,

Bill

(in reply to charlieit)
Post #: 13
RE: Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? - 12.Jul.2005 9:29:00 AM   
yami

Install SP1 and it's ok

(in reply to charlieit)
Post #: 14

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Bug Found in the Client with ODBC? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts