• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Firewall client makes my games pings slow

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Firewall client makes my games pings slow Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Firewall client makes my games pings slow - 26.Sep.2004 9:06:00 AM   
JaimeP

When I enable the Firewall Client, the pings for all the servers I want to connect to go up by about 400ms. If I turn the Firewall Client off, they go down to 30-80ms like they should.

Any idea why this would be happening? :-)

-Jaime

[ October 10, 2004, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: JaimeP ]
Post #: 1
RE: Firewall client makes my games pings slow - 26.Sep.2004 4:43:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Jaime,

Good to hear from you again! [Big Grin]

Are you using the encrypted or unencrypted Firewall client communications?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to JaimeP)
Post #: 2
RE: Firewall client makes my games pings slow - 26.Sep.2004 4:59:00 PM   
JaimeP

Hey Tom! Good to hear from you as well. :-)

Since I'm a newbie to 2k4, I'm not sure if I am or not. I did have the checkbox "Allow non-encrypted Firewall client connections" UNchecked. So I checked it so that they would be allowed. But, that just means they're allowed and doesn't mean that they will use a non-encrypted means for communication.

How do I ensure that the traffic between the Firewall client and the ISA Server isn't encrypted?

Thanks again,

-Jaime

(in reply to JaimeP)
Post #: 3
RE: Firewall client makes my games pings slow - 26.Sep.2004 6:01:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Jaime,

If you have the option set to not encrypt the connections, then they won't be encrypted for anyone. You could do a NetMon trace just to make sure though.

Can you give me some game server addresses that I can check this out on? When I ping my ISPs DNS server, I'm seeing 5-8ms ping times, but that's an on network connection and isn't as good as testing your scenario. I find the time the same whether the FWC is enabled or not. As it is, the FWC isn't handle ICMP anyhow [Smile]

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to JaimeP)
Post #: 4
RE: Firewall client makes my games pings slow - 26.Sep.2004 6:21:00 PM   
JaimeP

Hey Tom..

I'm using a server list program called All Seeing Eye and I'm pinging all the Battlefield 1942 servers.

I think I might have the higher latency because the machine that this is running on is a 1u Celeron 600 MHz server. It's really laggy when I go to connect to it via RDC as well so it just might be the machine that's making it so laggy.

Hm, do I have to reboot anything? I turned that option off, and I still get the high ping times when the FClient is on.

..and one other thing.. Where can I get a fresh copy of Netmon? Mine got trashed some how and it won't install. :-/

But you know what? This machine seems to lag though. I would think for a 600 and 1/2gig of ram, it wouldn't act like this since all it does is isa server with little traffic. I think I ran ISA Server 2000 on a 300MHz system and it was more responsive than this one. Hmmm

[ September 26, 2004, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: JaimeP ]

(in reply to JaimeP)
Post #: 5
RE: Firewall client makes my games pings slow - 27.Sep.2004 6:10:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Jaime,

I'm going to plead ignorance here and ask if these are ICMP pings. I'm clueless to gaming terminology (although I do enjoy watching XPlay on TechTV just to see the graphics in the games), so I don't know if these are ICMP pings or maybe some other protocol.

You can run NetMon on the ISA firewall itself but just using the Add/Remove Program applet.

Seems like your hardware is plenty capable enough. I'd like to look at the other options first.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to JaimeP)
Post #: 6
RE: Firewall client makes my games pings slow - 2.Oct.2004 4:02:00 AM   
JaimeP

Alrighty Tom..

I took a look with Netmon and it sends a TCP packet to the server asking for server/player information, then sends a UDP ping to it on another port. These are both happening on ports above 10000. It depends on what port the servers are running on.

I just tried this again and it still adds like 400ms when I use the Firewall client.

What might I check next?

Ok.. I just played the game (Battlefield 1942) with the Firewall client on and it plays ok. It just seems that when All Seeing Eye goes to ping all the servers is when it lags. huh. <shrug>

[ October 02, 2004, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: JaimeP ]

(in reply to JaimeP)
Post #: 7
RE: Firewall client makes my games pings slow - 6.Oct.2004 5:08:00 AM   
JaimeP

bump

(in reply to JaimeP)
Post #: 8
RE: Firewall client makes my games pings slow - 7.Oct.2004 1:46:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Jaime,

OK, these aren't ICMP "pings", now I'm starting to understand [Smile]

There is some overhead with the firewall client, since it has to establish the control channel on the first conneciton. But after the control channel for the initial request is established, the rest of the communications are "remoted" to the ISA firewall.

Did you see the same thing with ISA 2000?

Sorry I can't give more insight into the game stuff -- the last game I played was the combat flight sim 3, and it sucked so much compared to version 2, that I gave up games [Smile]

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to JaimeP)
Post #: 9
RE: Firewall client makes my games pings slow - 10.Oct.2004 3:41:00 PM   
JaimeP

This is a really wierd problem. Nope. I didn't see any of this kind of thing with ISA 2000. Trippy stuff. <shrug>

(in reply to JaimeP)
Post #: 10
RE: Firewall client makes my games pings slow - 10.Oct.2004 7:26:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Jaime,

Just a WAG here, but is IP Routing enabled on your ISA firewall?

Also, are you using the 2004 or the 2000 Firewall client?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to JaimeP)
Post #: 11
RE: Firewall client makes my games pings slow - 14.Oct.2004 7:36:00 PM   
JaimeP

Tom.. Using the FWC from ISA 2000, this problem totally goes away. Use the ISA2004 FWC and the problem is there. Both of course are going through ISAServer2004. So it must be something with the new client. <Shrug> Any idea?

Until I figure it out, I'll stick with the 2000 FWC. Any reason why I'd want to use the 2004 FWC anyways?

(in reply to JaimeP)
Post #: 12
RE: Firewall client makes my games pings slow - 21.Oct.2004 3:23:00 PM   
JaimeP

I just wanted to make sure Tom seen the outcome to this..

-Jaime

(in reply to JaimeP)
Post #: 13

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Firewall client makes my games pings slow Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts