• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

FC 2000 works, FC 2004 doesn't.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> FC 2000 works, FC 2004 doesn't. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FC 2000 works, FC 2004 doesn't. - 8.Oct.2004 3:16:00 AM   
I've just gotten the ISA 2004 server to do everything I want with the Firewall Client 2004, and decide it's time to take a break. I start Steam to play some Counter-Strike, knowing I'd set up the access rules to allow the correct ports through. That was 8 hours ago and I still haven't played any CS :/

Steam said it couldn't connect to the internet. At first I thought it was Steam's fault. So I did everything Valve suggested, but it didn't help. I tried the suggestions in the Gaming section about getting Steam to work, I even tried adapting the eMule instructions to the Steam ports, to see if it might somehow magically fix the problem. It didn't.

Eventually, after launching Steam countless times, I started using the logs, but after playing around with them for awhile, I realised they weren't telling me anything useful. Still unsure what the problem could be, I tried playing with the access rules settings until they were basically disabled. Still nothing.

Finally, on one of my countless tests, I noticed that just as Steam started, the icon on the Firewall Client went from a green arrow to a red 'x'. I realised that might have something to do with it. Maybe it was a firewall client configuration problem, and if it was, then that would explain why nothing useful showed up in the logs. I tried looking for firewall client logs, but it seems they don't keep logs like that. (ugh.)

I then tried fiddling with the firewall client settings some more, based on the stuff in the eMule guide, and eventually with the settings listed in the ISA help file. (By the way, I agree, ISA's documentation is horrible! I've seen larger manuals for games!)

Through experimentation with the config, I eventually got the red 'x' to go away (it seemed to go away if I set Disable and DisableEx to 1, it also went away if I set ports) but even when the 'x' stopped showing up, it still wouldn't connect to the internet.

I was contemplating nuking the whole thing and going back to ISA 2000 - even though I love how integrated 2004 is, it's so much quicker to set things up without worrying about the order you set things up in - when it occurred to me, what about the ISA 2000 client?

I had another computer which I hadn't yet upgraded to Firewall Client 2004 and I tried downloading the 600KB SteamInstaller.exe file. Installed like a charm, the instant messenger worked, games would download, everything was great. Same ISA server. The only difference? Firewall Client version 2000 instead of version 2004 ...

So. I'm posting this to let people know that if they're having a similar, inexplicable problem, perhaps it's a conflict with version 2004, to ask if there's anyway to incrementally change version 2004 and make it act more like version 2000 so I could toubleshoot and perhaps have some of whatever benefit running the 2004 client provides (like the cool new icon "[Razz]" ) and I'm posting this because I don't want to have to dig through the mess of CDs in my closet just so I can find that old ISA Server 2000 CD to get the Firewall Client from ... though if I have to, I have to "[Embarrassed]"

Oh and if anyone downloads the Steam Installer to test it out yourself (it's only 600KB and it's free! *hint hint*), it's quite strange: Just after installing, it launches Steam.exe which updates itself to a new Steam.exe. The old Steam.exe updates itself fine, but the new replacement launches after 27% and can't update at all :/ This makes me think that it's something Valve can probably fix. But as using the ISA 2000 client also fixes it, I think I'll opt for the probably faster way of just getting it to work myself.

Any suggestions?
  Post #: 1
RE: FC 2000 works, FC 2004 doesn't. - 10.Oct.2004 7:30:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Louis,

I'll move this to the gaming section as it seems to be a gaming related problem.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: FC 2000 works, FC 2004 doesn't. - 21.Oct.2004 12:00:00 AM   
Fixed. It turns out that FC2000 didn't fix the problem either. The real culplit was Symantec Client Firewall, which had left pieces of itself behind after I'd uninstalled it. Manual uninstallation of the firewall resolved the issue. Both Microsoft Firewall Clients worked after that.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 3
RE: FC 2000 works, FC 2004 doesn't. - 17.Nov.2004 6:47:00 PM   
methylamine

Folks:

Instructions on the Steam website are incorrect.

You need to create one access rule in ISA2004 that is:

27030-27050 TCP outbound // NOT what Steam says, but this works; Steam site says 27039 upper bound, but I saw traffic on 27042
1200 UDP Send
27000-27015 UDP SendReceive

So far I'm able to log on, get updates, register; have not played yet.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> FC 2000 works, FC 2004 doesn't. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts