From: Atlanta, GA
Can someone explain to me why Visual Source Safe 6.0c or 6.0d cannot FTP a file to a *nix FTP server on the Internet..... But if I drop to a CMD Prompt and FTP it manually, I can do it with no problem?
I found the FTP Configuration to turn off Read Only. When I had this checked, VSS would appear to send the file with no errors, but nothing ever appeared on the server. When I turn it off, the VSS client displays DEPLOYING $/Project/index.htm in the status bar... and locks up. It will stay this way for a few minutes before finally showing that it deployed the file... but it never does.
I have tried this with both 6.0c and 6.0d. I am completely dumbfounded as to why this is not working.
And I must say, I need this functionality to work. Between my wife and myself, we have a dozen or so websites that we are working for that we use VSS to deply documents to and handle versioning for. If anyone else has the ISA2004RTM in place, how do they deploy documents over FTP?
From: Atlanta, GA
I finally figured it out. I am not sure why, but I had to do it this way. After trying every possible combination I know of with the FTP Filter, Access Rules, Etc.... I started looking at the logs in depth.
I must say I love the new LIVE filtering in the MMC. This thing is a godsend.
I set up a filter to show me all traffic comign back from the FTP Server on the internet. I noticed that when I would use a DOS FTP Client, or WSFTP, etc, All of the destination IP addresses in my logs were the internal IP of my laptop. But when I was using Visual SourceSafe, all of the destination IPs of that were not working were for the External IP address of my ISA Server.
I still dont kow exactly why it saw a difference, but at least I now knew there was a difference in the way that the firewall was seeing the two applications work. I cannot find any documentation on VSS 6c, and how it handles FTP, but I woudl assume it would follow some sort of RFC Specs..... I could be wrong.
I ended up adding an entry into the Firewall Client Config. Basically SSEXP / DISABLE / 1
Then I deleted the INI files under c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\microsoft\Firewall Client 2004. Afterthat I rand the UPDATE.BAT file on my client share to update my firewall clients and away we went.