• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

VSS 6.0c/d

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> SecureNAT Client >> VSS 6.0c/d Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
VSS 6.0c/d - 16.Jul.2004 11:01:00 AM   
Taps

Can someone explain to me why Visual Source Safe 6.0c or 6.0d cannot FTP a file to a *nix FTP server on the Internet..... But if I drop to a CMD Prompt and FTP it manually, I can do it with no problem?

I found the FTP Configuration to turn off Read Only. When I had this checked, VSS would appear to send the file with no errors, but nothing ever appeared on the server. When I turn it off, the VSS client displays DEPLOYING $/Project/index.htm in the status bar... and locks up. It will stay this way for a few minutes before finally showing that it deployed the file... but it never does.

I have tried this with both 6.0c and 6.0d. I am completely dumbfounded as to why this is not working.

And I must say, I need this functionality to work. Between my wife and myself, we have a dozen or so websites that we are working for that we use VSS to deply documents to and handle versioning for. If anyone else has the ISA2004RTM in place, how do they deploy documents over FTP?
Post #: 1
RE: VSS 6.0c/d - 16.Jul.2004 4:11:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Taps,

Is VSS using a Web Proxy connection to upload? If so, that won't work. Disable the Web Proxy config when uploading or configure the required sites for Direct Access.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to Taps)
Post #: 2
RE: VSS 6.0c/d - 16.Jul.2004 6:17:00 PM   
Taps

quote:
Originally posted by tshinder:
Hi Taps,

Is VSS using a Web Proxy connection to upload? If so, that won't work. Disable the Web Proxy config when uploading or configure the required sites for Direct Access.

HTH,
Tom

If you are referring to the entry in VSS Admin on the "WEB" tab, then I have tried it both ways. With and without the proxy. Still with the same results.

I have to ask, what do you mean by "configure the required sites for Direct Access" ??? I dont remember seeing an option like this in hte ISA2004 Management Console.

(in reply to Taps)
Post #: 3
RE: VSS 6.0c/d - 17.Jul.2004 5:40:00 AM   
Taps

I finally figured it out. I am not sure why, but I had to do it this way. After trying every possible combination I know of with the FTP Filter, Access Rules, Etc.... I started looking at the logs in depth.

I must say I love the new LIVE filtering in the MMC. This thing is a godsend.

I set up a filter to show me all traffic comign back from the FTP Server on the internet. I noticed that when I would use a DOS FTP Client, or WSFTP, etc, All of the destination IP addresses in my logs were the internal IP of my laptop. But when I was using Visual SourceSafe, all of the destination IPs of that were not working were for the External IP address of my ISA Server.

I still dont kow exactly why it saw a difference, but at least I now knew there was a difference in the way that the firewall was seeing the two applications work. I cannot find any documentation on VSS 6c, and how it handles FTP, but I woudl assume it would follow some sort of RFC Specs..... I could be wrong.

I ended up adding an entry into the Firewall Client Config. Basically SSEXP / DISABLE / 1

Then I deleted the INI files under c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\microsoft\Firewall Client 2004. Afterthat I rand the UPDATE.BAT file on my client share to update my firewall clients and away we went.

VSS now deploys via FTP with no problems at all.

Hope this will help someone in the future.

(in reply to Taps)
Post #: 4
RE: VSS 6.0c/d - 19.Jul.2004 12:36:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Taps,

Great! Not sure exactly what you did or what the primary problem was, but I think that Direct Access would have been the best solution.

Good to hear you got it working and thanks for the follow up!

Tom

(in reply to Taps)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> SecureNAT Client >> VSS 6.0c/d Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts