• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RE: Crashing RAS Service

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> VPN >> RE: Crashing RAS Service Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 5.Oct.2004 1:12:00 PM   
tshinder

Are you using business class lines?

Are you manually disconnecting the links?

Tom

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 21
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 6.Oct.2004 10:41:00 PM   
frentin

Tom, what is the background why ISA should have an issue with non "business class lines" ?
In Germany it is very popular to have branch offices connected to DSL with dynamic IP addresses. However, as others here stated it also makes the main office ISA crash that is on a business class line. I guess everybody agrees that any internet connection may have short outages. Under no circumstances this should cause a sophisticated product like ISA to crash.

Do you have some backround information why MS makes such statements? Is there a fix to come?

Kind Regards,
Peter

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 22
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 6.Oct.2004 11:32:00 PM   
myrmidon

Hi Tom,

At the HQ side I have a 1.5Mbs ADSL with 16 static (public) IP's.

At the first remote branch I have a 512k ADSL line with 8 static (public) IP's, and at the second remote branch I have a 448k leased line with 16 static (public) IP's.

So I assume this qualifies as 'business' links.

As far as manually disconnecting, at this stage I usually wait until the RAS hangs (for which I haven't found the cause, potentially the line drops temporarily or something). Anyhow, when it hangs, I reboot the ISA server. The problem is that my machines are in 3 different time zones (GMT-8, GMT +2, GMT +8), so usually only 1 server can be rebooted at a time because the others are sleeping.
Cheers
Olaf

[ October 06, 2004, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Olaf Wagner ]

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 23
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 13.Oct.2004 4:04:00 PM   
awj

To add to all of this.

I eventually got my Site to Site VPN working (or thought i had) using the Microsoft VPN kit instructions.

The problem is that after it was connected for a few seconds one of the two ISA 2004 servers hung and after a hard reboot appears to have corrupted the registry/OS. I have an image backup and will restore the OS then my ISA config but it appears this type of hang is a common problem (maybee the OS corruptions was just bad luck)?

The MS vpn kit tells you to allow both ends to initiate the connection however i get the feeling that this is a problem, should i disable initiate at one end??

To add to the business class stuff if ADSL at either ends both with static IP addresses counts as business class then that config still gives the same issue.

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 24
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 13.Oct.2004 4:55:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Al,

I agree that with static addresses, it qualifies as business class.

I've set it up both ways -- with both sides dialing and with one side dialing and it seems stable both ways. Although, I prefer to set it up with only one side dialing, most customers demand that I make both sides capable of the redial.

That said, I wrote the MS VPN kit, so I know it works [Smile]

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 25
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 13.Oct.2004 11:17:00 PM   
Hi All. I have exactly the same problem. RRAS bombs out after about 24 hours. Only the branch is configured to call, the HO is confiugured to answer only.

When RAS bombs out I can genrally do a shutdown -r -f, sometimes I need a hard reset. This is a problem for me as I am championing ISA 2004 against checkpoint, but the VPN's do not seem as reliable.

Anyone got stable site to site vpn's using isa 2004?

(in reply to myrmidon)
  Post #: 26
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 14.Oct.2004 1:55:00 PM   
Hi,

We have had this problem since upgrading the remote sites from 2000 to 2004. Have just reported it to Microsoft and am waiting for them to do some digging and get back to me.

Thanks

Glen

(in reply to myrmidon)
  Post #: 27
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 14.Oct.2004 3:24:00 PM   
awj

Another crash here

Seems like if you have a VPN connection up and one end goes down ie you reboot a ISA machine etc then the other end is quite likely to hang about 1 in 5 times from my experience!

Not good as i assume any internet outage etc would have same chance of hanging the firewall at one or both ends.

Also need a hard reset so hardly convenient for branch offices. Hope they sort this one out soon!

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 28
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 16.Oct.2004 11:31:00 AM   
MAGEdealer

Hi ALL.
I have the same problem with RAS that stop responding while there are temporarily no Internet Connection on Main or Branch Office. Win2k2/ISA2k4 on both sides. I have some statistics that I monitored:
if there are 30 secconds without iNET then VPN connection goes up by itself after 2-3 minutes.
if there are 2-4 minutes withous iNET then VPN connection goes up by itself after 15-30 minutes.
Hmmm... :/
With longer no internet connections periods I have hanging RAS on one or both of the sides.
Only reset or hard reset needed to bring VPN back working again.
The trick [Smile] - if VPN is hanging and the machine don't want to go on soft reboot - try to kill all svchost.exe processes - this should crash the Windows and the machine goes on reboot even with hanging RAS [Smile]

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 29
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 19.Oct.2004 5:06:00 PM   
Logged call with Microsoft about this - and luckily hotfix released today [should be about 1 week before released to public]. Problem is specifically with the TCP stack under Windows 2003 - even though ISA 2004 causes problem. If you want patch log call with Microsoft and quote KB Article: 888090 - this should appear in their searches in about 1 week according to Microsoft Support. I still have not tested patch but will let you know.

(in reply to myrmidon)
  Post #: 30
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 20.Oct.2004 12:12:00 PM   
awj

Anyone get anywhere whith a fix for this, my RRAS hangs every coulpe of days and still often needs a hard reset not exactly a reliable VPN solution!

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 31
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 22.Oct.2004 10:54:00 AM   
We contacted PSS and have applied the fix. It cured our problem of RRAS locking up and the site to site VPNs have been rock solid.

Thanks

Glen

(in reply to myrmidon)
  Post #: 32
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 22.Oct.2004 3:50:00 PM   
tshinder

Hey guys,

Great job! I wished I had known about this.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 33
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 26.Oct.2004 9:08:00 PM   
myrmidon

Hi Guys,

I urgently want to try this patch, however, I am unable to find it anywhere on Microsoft's site. Is there anywhere that I can download this?

Otherwise, could someone mail the patch to olaf@k2workflow.com?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Olaf

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 34
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 26.Oct.2004 9:30:00 PM   
AbqBill

Hi Olaf,

Read JurgenR's message carefully:
quote:
If you want patch log call with Microsoft and quote KB Article: 888090 - this should appear in their searches in about 1 week according to Microsoft Support.
HTH,

Bill

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 35
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 27.Oct.2004 2:05:00 AM   
myrmidon

Hi Bill,

I did read the message carefully, but was hoping there was a faster method for obtaining this file.

Anyhow, I have since contacted Microsoft, and applied the patch to all the Win2003/ISA2004 servers. I will let this run a few days, and report back whether this addresses the issue.

Cheers
Olaf

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 36
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 28.Oct.2004 2:50:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Olaf,

Let us know how it works for you.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 37
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 29.Oct.2004 11:12:00 AM   
awj

Also installed it here as i had the same problems, been on for 2 days now and no crashes, if it's still ok after the weekend i would say it solves the problem.

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 38
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 29.Oct.2004 2:08:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Al,

Great! That's definitely GOOD NEWS!

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 39
RE: Crashing RAS Service - 1.Nov.2004 2:20:00 PM   
awj

Still all running after the weekend, so i guess this patch fixes it. I have seen this problem in quite a number of newsgroups etc but no response from Microsoft to any questions posed. Must have been driving quite a few people crazy as well as me.

(in reply to myrmidon)
Post #: 40

Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> VPN >> RE: Crashing RAS Service Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts