• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ISA Server not applying rules for it's proper connections?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> General >> ISA Server not applying rules for it's proper connections? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ISA Server not applying rules for it's proper connections? - 27.Jan.2001 6:12:00 AM   
QwiQ

Hi,

I have installed ISA server as a Firewall within my small network basically to test out it's possibilities which I could later on apply at my custommers.

I have set-up the configuration on a network with 3 pc's; the ISA Server is directly connected to the Internet ... all the rules I have set-up work perfectly on the 2 other pc's on the network ... but somehow I'm not able to get the ISA Server to use these rules.

I have for example set-up a rule to allow my private IP range to connect to a pop3 server and download new mail ... this works fine for the 2 pc's in the network, but not for the ISA Server itself!

Could anyone explain me why this is the case and how I can resolve this?

Post #: 1
RE: ISA Server not applying rules for it's proper conne... - 27.Jan.2001 2:33:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi QwiQ,

For applications that are run on the ISA Server itself, you must create packet filters that will allow access for the application that connect to Internet resources.

For example, if you want to allow the ISA Server itself to communicate with a POP3 Server, you would configure the following packet filter:

Type: Custom
IP Protocol: TCP
Direction: Outbound
Local Port: Dynamic
Remote Port: Fixed Port
Remote Port Number: 110

You would need to configure similar packet filters for other applications/protocols that need access from the ISA Server itself.

HTH,

Tom

------------------
Tom Shinder
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

(in reply to QwiQ)
Post #: 2
RE: ISA Server not applying rules for it's proper conne... - 28.Jan.2001 2:45:00 AM   
QwiQ

Tom,

which setting do I have to specify on the "Local Computer" Tab of my custom packet filter:

This Filter applies to:
a. default ip address(es) on the external interface
b. the ISA server's external IP address
c. this computer (on the perimeter network)
d. these computers (on the perimeter network)

and ... do I need to stop and start the service for this filter to start working?

Tnx in advance,

Peter

quote:
Originally posted by tshinder:
Hi QwiQ,

For applications that are run on the ISA Server itself, you must create packet filters that will allow access for the application that connect to Internet resources.

For example, if you want to allow the ISA Server itself to communicate with a POP3 Server, you would configure the following packet filter:

Type: Custom
IP Protocol: TCP
Direction: Outbound
Local Port: Dynamic
Remote Port: Fixed Port
Remote Port Number: 110

You would need to configure similar packet filters for other applications/protocols that need access from the ISA Server itself.

HTH,

Tom

(in reply to QwiQ)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> General >> ISA Server not applying rules for it's proper connections? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts