• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ISA 2004 Server not in My Network Places

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> VPN >> ISA 2004 Server not in My Network Places Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ISA 2004 Server not in My Network Places - 28.May2005 9:10:00 AM   
We're having a very strange problem with our ISA 2004 configuration...
We run a simple frontend setup with one ISA box acting as a proxy and
SecureNAT gateway for internal web clients and published servers. Our
exchange box sits behind the ISA2004 server and is published using
various mail server publishing rules... Here's the issue... The ISA
server does not show up in My Network Places, and neither does the
exchange box. You can however browse by name or IP to both machines. Is
this just some setting I missed? Or does ISA require a separate rule of
some sort to allow it to be viewed in MNP. Also, another strange thing,
is that other published servers or SecureNAT clients can be seen and
browsed to by using MNP (My Network Places...) Any help would be
greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 1
RE: ISA 2004 Server not in My Network Places - 29.May2005 12:51:00 AM   
isawader

In fact, you shouldn't even be browsing in ISA. This is by design, I believe. The only thing you should have on your internal NIC is 'client for microsoft network' (for windows authentication) and TCP/IP stack. You should not browse using ISA.

[ May 29, 2005, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: isawader ]

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: ISA 2004 Server not in My Network Places - 30.May2005 8:11:00 PM   
I don't think you totally understand our problem... By browsing I mean browsing the network in "My Network Places" using the domain view, not browsing the internet from the ISA server. The reason we need to see the server in "My Network Places" is to configure backups in Veritas. Any suggestions on how to get it to show up?

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 3
RE: ISA 2004 Server not in My Network Places - 14.Jun.2005 4:56:00 PM   
I'm having the exact same issue with trying to configure Veritas on a 2003 box. When I added IPX to the LAN connection properties, all other machines within the network then showed up correctly through MNP, but the other servers did not except the DC and the server I was working from. I believe I'm having a master browser conflict now but I'm not sure which steps to take to resolve. More help on this topic would be greatly welcomed [Razz]

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 4
RE: ISA 2004 Server not in My Network Places - 23.Jun.2005 3:44:00 PM   
delta.tango

The browser service is being phased out and should be disabled on 2003 machines. Use either active directory search or from explorer address bar enter \\machinename\sharedfolder.
All non-updated 2003 machines do not register in the browser service.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 5
RE: ISA 2004 Server not in My Network Places - 23.Jun.2005 3:54:00 PM   
pwindell

The browser service is being phased out and should be disabled on 2003 machines. Use either active directory search or from explorer address bar enter \\machinename\sharedfolder.

I don't know what you meanby that.
I have serval 2003 machines and they are "non-updated" as far as SP1 is concerned. They have always shown in Network Places from the moment that they were installed fresh off the CD.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 6
RE: ISA 2004 Server not in My Network Places - 23.Jun.2005 10:02:00 PM   
ClintD

quote:
I don't know what this means "all non-updated" - in any event, there hasn't been a update, service pack or security patch that disables Win2003's ability to register in the browse list. Imagine the headache Microsoft would hear if they did this as it would cause nearly every backup solution to fail.

The ISA Server should be able to show up in NetHood just fine - I don't know what everyone else is talking about. There are lots of different backup programs that (unfortunately) rely on the Comptuer Browser service for functionality.

In order for ISA to show up, you'll need 2 things...

1. Allow NetBIOS Datagram from Local Host to Internal. This will put the ISA Server in the browse list, assuming NetBIOS is enabled on the Internal interface only.

Once it shows up (which can take up to 51 minutes depending on how large your network is), in order for machines to connect to it, you'll need...

2. Allow NetBIOS Session and/or Microsoft CIFS from Internal to Local Host.

Since you can connect to the ISA Server by name currently, then the rule for NetBIOS Session and/or Microsoft CIFS is already in place - you just need a rule to allow the Comptuer Browser broadcasts <read: NetBIOS Datagram> from the ISA Server to populate the browse list.

You should also disable the Comptuer Browser service on the ISA Server - this only affects whether or not the ISA Server tries to participate in the election process, as you really don't need ISA serving as the local segments Master Browser - it doesn't affect it's ability to show up in the browse list. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. [Smile]

If this still doesn't fix it, install the Win2003 Support Tools and use the BROWSTAT utility to see what's going on.

"c:\browstat status" should give you a good starting point - post the output of this if ISA still doesn't show up.

[ June 23, 2005, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: ClintD ]

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> VPN >> ISA 2004 Server not in My Network Places Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts