Known way to criple ISA (Full Version)

All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> General

jmunyan -> Known way to criple ISA (16.Feb.2001 5:50:00 AM)

In determining the functionality of my vpn I have replicated a manuver which will kill rras and force all dependant services (ISA) to hang until reboot or restart of RRAS.

The scenernio is as follows:

One must be on a workstation behind an ISA firewall. The workstation must open a pptp tunnel through the firewall to a location outside the NAT. In my case this was another ISA installation across the internet which would accept a pptp connection. Next open a terminal server session to a workstation behind the Second remote ISA server. From here open a pptp session back to the first ISA server. When the initial connection is ended RRAS dies on the first installation. The errors are:

The Microsoft ISA Server Control service terminated with service-specific error 278540.

The Microsoft Web Proxy service depends on the Microsoft ISA Server Control service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service has returned a service-specific error code.

The Microsoft Firewall service depends on the Microsoft ISA Server Control service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service has returned a service-specific error code.

The Microsoft ISA Server Control service terminated with service-specific error 278540.

There are more of the same but you get the picture, a service cascade failure off RRAS. Though the RRAS error isn't trapped.

And you are wondering how did I come across this? Am I some super hacker? No, I was trying to test my authentication path on the first installation and I needed a remote station to attach to the outside of the first ISA box to test the configuration. Fortunatly the authentication configuration worked. Unfortunatly, testing this killed ISA. Yikes!

John

tshinder -> RE: Known way to criple ISA (16.Feb.2001 10:46:00 AM)

Ho! You really had to go out of your way to kill ISA Server that way

This is one to file away in case anybody else ever tries the same thing.

Thanks!

Tom

jmunyan -> RE: Known way to criple ISA (17.Feb.2001 12:53:00 AM)

Yes, but the implication for weakness is that any isa box configured for outbound pptp and inbound pptp can effectivly be disabled from the lan it is protecting.

I don't believe this to actually be a weakness of ISA but rather RRAS which ISA rides on. Another way I to criple RRAS PPTP services I have replicated is reverse Terminal Serve down the pipe back to initial box which created the tunnel. What is required here is to determine what ip addresses are being assigned by RRAS. The way I discovered this weakness was when I wound open a tunnel from home to work and terminal serve back home to my box there. Howver this weakness isn't 1 to 1 in cause and effect but over a couple hours will result in RRAS failure. Again this is a weakness of RRAS.

John

jmunyan -> RE: Known way to criple ISA (18.Feb.2001 9:28:00 AM)

Okay I have found an even simpler way to kill this pptp/ISA thing. I can't say I have replicated it since I just experienced it. But what I did was vpn and tserve into the isa box. Things were good. I disconnected the ts session, then disconnected the vpn. And whammo

say hello to my little friend.

Event ID 7031
The Microsoft ISA Server Control service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

Then the whole box just crapped out till rras was restarted. And worst of all RRAS again fails to report it has hung itself. How hard would it be for them to write a function to check that rras is still working and if not restart it like the iis pooled process space. Is this what is in store for the .net product line? I can't believe the amount of bugs which made it into the gold code. I mean come on!

When did you say SP3 is coming out???

John

tshinder -> RE: Known way to criple ISA (18.Feb.2001 10:19:00 AM)

Whoa! I'll have to try that tomorrow. That indeed would *not* be good if we can't replicate it in different environment.

SP3 should be out around Christmas

Tom

------------------
Tom Shinder
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

jmunyan -> RE: Known way to criple ISA (18.Feb.2001 11:13:00 AM)

Well I think I have found a way to patch together this jalopy. Get to know this one:

net stop remoteaccess
net start remoteaccess

put it in a .bat and chain this to isa control service failure.

Took me a bit to find the correct commands, on a dutch website (only thing I understood wa the commands). Now whenever isa pukes the rras service will be restarted. You gotta love it.

John

jmunyan -> RE: Known way to criple ISA (18.Feb.2001 11:20:00 AM)

Tom, do you know the isa net stop command to kill the control service? I would like to incorporate this into my script to chain together all the applicable services to be sure.

Thanks,

John

tshinder -> RE: Known way to criple ISA (18.Feb.2001 7:59:00 PM)

Hi John,

Try this:

net stop isactrl

This will stop the Scheduled download service, the Web Proxy Service, RRAS and the Firewall Service.

Tom

------------------
Tom Shinder

jmunyan -> RE: Known way to criple ISA (18.Feb.2001 11:09:00 PM)

Thanks! If you are running ISA you may consider using the below script as a response to any isa/rras related service failure. Having seen RRAS and ISA doing more than their fair share of shooting themselves in the head I am chaining this script to all the isa/rras services. This can be done under the services control panel by clicking on the service desired for example the proxy service and clicking the recovery tab. From here select the run script option and point to the script which starts and restarts isa.

net stop fwsrv
net stop w3proxy
net stop w3schdwn
net stop remoteaccess
net stop isactrl
net start remoteaccess
net start isactrl
net start fwsrv
net start w3proxy
net start w3schdwn

John

tshinder -> RE: Known way to criple ISA (19.Feb.2001 12:45:00 AM)

Hi John,

Excellent! Thanks for doing the footwork on this.

Tom

------------------
Tom Shinder

jmunyan -> RE: Known way to criple ISA (19.Feb.2001 4:09:00 AM)

Okay, I have been beating on this for the balance of the day and am wondering if anyone can help me out with this.

In order to provide for a likely recovery of isa in the event the control service bail I have attempted to create a script to execute upon the control service failure.

First I included the above commands in a file called rrasrestart.bat. When the service failed the event log would say it was taking action to call the file, however the file was never called. So I took a look around ms and found an q article saying that what needed to be done (by design no less) is to preface the bat file with forcedos.exe and complete path to .bat. So I put this in the recover box so it read as follows.

forcedos.exe d:\rrasrestart.bat

The result of this was that the file could not be found by the system according to the event log. However if this exact line is executed from the run window it is happy.

So after a little while I figured maybe the system couldn't find the forcedos.exe so I located the forcedos.exe, went to the run window and typed.

c:\winnt\sytem32\foredos.exe d:\rrasrestart.bat.

It worked just fine from the command line.

So I added the above to the recovery field.

After I inserted the fault the event log tells me the syntax isn't correct.

What is the deal? I'm confused and little regretful this is how I spent my Sunday.

Any ideas? Anyone ever gotten this functionality to work?

Thanks,

John

Page: [1]