• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Automatic Updates don't work

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> General >> Automatic Updates don't work Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Automatic Updates don't work - 11.Sep.2002 1:39:00 PM   
Davidd

W2K SP 3 has installed "automatic updates" on our servers.It doesn't work. There is an event in the system Protocol about every 2 days ( anyone know how to control when ?) with content (transalated - not exact ) "no connection with the service for automatic updates".
Since the 2 relevant services are active, and the configuration is default ( automatic download and popup to say that updates are available ) I assume the ISA server is blocking the download.
I presume the servers are web proxy clients, since they are not firewall or SNAT.
I have tried so far:
- Internet options / advanced / "use HTTP 1.1 through proxy"
- protocol rule to allow HTTP, HTTPS and FTP to a client set including the relevant server IPs. That is, the servers can go surfing which we normally only allow to domain users.
This covers the main suggestions I have reasd in the Internet to solve this problem,to use HTTP 1.1 and that automatic updates use port 443 (HTTPS).
But it still doesn't work !
Any ideas anyone ?
Post #: 1
RE: Automatic Updates don't work - 11.Sep.2002 7:09:00 PM   
baldy

Davidd,

I have had a similar problem where ISA itself was not able to properly connect to Windows Update and Automatic Update did not function as well.

What I have done is the following.

On ISA server create a packet filter for port 443.

Filtertype is Custom
Protocol TCP
Direction Outbound
Local Port All Ports
Remote Port 443

Also make sure that IE is setup for HTTP1.1 through proxy and that the proxy is set to localhost:8080

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Klaas

(in reply to Davidd)
Post #: 2
RE: Automatic Updates don't work - 13.Sep.2002 12:29:00 PM   
Davidd

Thanks for the reply, Klaas.
I created a packet filter according to the recipe and restarted the ISA Services, but the server which should automatically update has since written the error event once again.
I thought that for a proxy client to access the internet only a protocol rule is necessary ( and of course the default site and content rule ) , and a packet filter is only necessary when the connection bypasses the ISA Server which has routing enabled.
The connection to automatic update can be opened manually by typing
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/de/default.asp
into the browser, and this works. That is a proxy connection allowed to the administrator under our protocol rule, and the proxy settings are configured under internet options / connections.
But when the server tries to do this automatically, it doesn't work. I have added the security group domain controllers to the group which is allowed to surf, and also created a similar protocol rule to allow a client set including the relevant servers to surf.
I have also ticked "use HTTP 1.1 through proxy"
And the protocol rule includes HTTPS 443.
But it still doesn't work !
Can anyone help please ??

(in reply to Davidd)
Post #: 3
RE: Automatic Updates don't work - 13.Sep.2002 2:28:00 PM   
BalajiS

Hi Davidd,

I too face the same problem.

I have noticed in one of the articles by Microsoft, which says that it is better not to apply Windows Update Component on Servers Running ISA, Exchange 2K and Domain Controller.

Then I was looking to uninstall the component, but couldn't find the uninstall. So, I have manually disabled and stopped the respective Service.

Regards,

Balaji Sadhanandam

(in reply to Davidd)
Post #: 4
RE: Automatic Updates don't work - 20.Sep.2002 1:36:00 PM   
Davidd

In case anyone is interested, it works now.
The answer was to run the services "automatic Updates" and "BITS" under the Administrator account. It also works under a service account.
So the problem was permissions.
There still remains the question, how do enable a service that runs under the lcoal system account, for example in a protocol rule ?
I have tried using the computer account and also a client set including the machine's IP, but neither work.
Can anyone help, please ?

(in reply to Davidd)
Post #: 5
RE: Automatic Updates don't work - 11.Nov.2002 2:24:00 PM   
strobe

Davidd,

I am deperately seeking an answer to your exact question. While starting services under a user account seems to get around the problem, it is very often not desirable to have services running under user accounts ! In these cases:

How do you create a protocol rule that grants outbound access from a service running as a local system account which is NOT on the ISA box ??

(in reply to Davidd)
Post #: 6
RE: Automatic Updates don't work - 11.Dec.2002 8:06:00 PM   
faceh12

Thanks the above post resolved my issue the packet filter for port 443 was perfect thanks

(in reply to Davidd)
Post #: 7
RE: Automatic Updates don't work - 17.Oct.2003 9:16:00 PM   
This worked for me! Thanks

On ISA server create a packet filter for port 443.

Filtertype is Custom
Protocol TCP
Direction Outbound
Local Port All Ports
Remote Port 443

Also make sure that IE is setup for HTTP1.1 through proxy and that the proxy is set to localhost:8080

(in reply to Davidd)
  Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> General >> Automatic Updates don't work Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts