• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Disk Space and MSDE logs vs SQL

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Disk Space and MSDE logs vs SQL Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Disk Space and MSDE logs vs SQL - 14.Jan.2005 2:16:00 PM   
KyleKartan

Greetings all,

I am running ISA2004 on a DualP3-550 with 9gig drives using MSDE logging for about 300 users.

Since this is for a school, we need to be able to save at least 30 days of web activity. My problem is that the small drives in this system are filling up rather rapidly.

What options do I have? As silly as it sounds, i don't have another hard drive to put into this system. I do have another server that I could load SQL2000 on to do the logging on, but i'm not sure what kind of can of worms that would open.

What kind of options do I have?

Thanks for your assistance.
Post #: 1
RE: Disk Space and MSDE logs vs SQL - 20.Jan.2005 12:00:00 PM   
millrise

Logging to a separate server is your best bet. You need to install SQL serevr and create a database that will hold the logs. Then set up an odbc connection from you ISA Server to the new SQL Server. This should be quite easy to do...having said that the ISA Server stops working if your SQL database goes down. A bit of floor in system if you ask me.

(in reply to KyleKartan)
Post #: 2
RE: Disk Space and MSDE logs vs SQL - 21.Jan.2005 1:23:00 AM   
Collide

Another option is to use File logging and specify a remote server in which to save the files to.

BTW is educational funding so bad these days that schools can't even afford to spend $60 on an 80GB hard drive?

(in reply to KyleKartan)
Post #: 3
RE: Disk Space and MSDE logs vs SQL - 23.Jan.2005 5:02:00 PM   
KyleKartan

Thanks for your answers, I'm not sure which route i'll go, but it'll have to be done.

Well, we have 6 buildings, 800 computers and two people to administer all of that. Our department does not have an budget, I have to ask nicely to get anything. It's frustrating.

Thanks for your help.

(in reply to KyleKartan)
Post #: 4
RE: Disk Space and MSDE logs vs SQL - 5.Feb.2005 5:14:00 PM   
liuty2006

try this one -- netfee
http://www.netfeesoftware.com/NetFee/Index.htm

(in reply to KyleKartan)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Disk Space and MSDE logs vs SQL Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts