• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Export old MSDE files

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Export old MSDE files Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Export old MSDE files - 5.Sep.2005 12:02:00 PM   
RedDog

Using MSDE logging, and my log drive is full now. I do have it set to drop old files as space is needed, but I think it would be better to archive old files in case they're needed sometime.

How can I export the MSDE files? Is it just a matter of moving the files? Since they (apparently) can only be read in ISA's MSDE, I would think that would be a problem?

And, as a side note, do most of you compress you log folder? Does compressing the entire log folder cause performance problems?

Thanks for your input
Post #: 1
RE: Export old MSDE files - 5.Sep.2005 1:02:00 PM   
RedDog

btw, I did see this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/isasdk/isa/logs.asp

where it talks about detaching files only if they are not in use........so by using:

OSQL -S computer_name\MSFW -E
sp_who2
go

That will tell me which ones I can safely archive without having to detach them, right?

Next question, lets say I archive the old files ok, but 6 months from now an issue comes up where I have to pull info from the old files, whats the most common means of handling this?

Thanks

(in reply to RedDog)
Post #: 2
RE: Export old MSDE files - 6.Sep.2005 3:24:00 AM   
RedDog

The option to compress Log Files is grayed out (dimmed). It *is* a NTFS partition. Any idea why that would be?

Thanks

(in reply to RedDog)
Post #: 3
RE: Export old MSDE files - 7.Sep.2005 7:40:00 PM   
MRIS

you can't (read: shouldn't) compress MSDE databases.
if you simply use SQL enterprise manager on the ISA2004 MSDE, you can detach databases at will, the detached databases behave just like normal SQL databases, meaning if you want to open one, simply use SQL enterprise manager to attach them to a SQL server then you can open them (eg with access, or with SQL EM).

(in reply to RedDog)
Post #: 4
RE: Export old MSDE files - 8.Sep.2005 5:18:00 PM   
RedDog

Thanks, I'm not sure how to do that. In looking at log names, they have different dates, but are are modifyed recently. Apparently MSDE 'works with' all the files. Am I to assume then, that it is all the files are ONE database?

I'll have to find some reading material and see if I can figure it out.

Not at all sure MSDE was a good idea, for me.

What I wanted, was to basically have all the data dumped into a Access database, and then use that to archive, query.

There's a post on the forums explaining how to do that, but I was never able to get it to go.

(in reply to RedDog)
Post #: 5
RE: Export old MSDE files - 15.Sep.2005 6:58:00 AM   
tim_jarvo_7661

Did anyone ever answer this? I too would like to know how to "archive" the firewall and proxy MSDE logs. There appears to be nothing in the ISA Server 2004 book to say how to do this? There must be a way.

(in reply to RedDog)
Post #: 6
RE: Export old MSDE files - 15.Sep.2005 12:21:00 PM   
RedDog

Yeah, I'm in the dark here. There is this:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/
default.mspx

but I thought ISA MSDE was a stripped down or otherwise modified version of MSDE, so I'm not sure that site even applies.

There is this: (watch wrap)
[URL=http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.isa/browse_thread/thread/4c3f1022acbfa192/
70a21bb4596b9f2f?lnk=st&q=isaserver+msde+archive&rnum=2&hl=en#70a21bb4596b9f2f]http://groups.
google.com/group/microsoft.public.isa/browse_thread/thread/4c3f1022acbfa192/70a21bb4596b9f2f?
lnk=st&q=isaserver+msde+archive&rnum=2&hl=en#70a21bb4596b9f2f[/URL]

But, it appears to me that ALL the MSDE files are one DB. Therefore, detaching the DB and archiving it would work, but then I'm starting with a fresh DB, and wouldn't have the last few days, weeks, available for searching within ISA.

What I'm looking for, is a way of archiving ONLY the oldest data, up to a certain date.

Guess thats what I'll have to do, though.

[ October 07, 2005, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: RedDog ]

(in reply to RedDog)
Post #: 7
RE: Export old MSDE files - 20.Sep.2005 11:28:00 PM   
RedDog

ok, got it working. I used the info at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/isasdk/isa/logs.asp

thing is, I tried this many times over the past week or two, it finally worked, don't know why. Before, I was always getting an error something along the lines of "error on line 1, close to the -S" (something like that). All of a sudden, it worked!

Exported (detached) several, then had that same error again. Tried again, and worked again. I don't know why I was having the problem before. I know I looked and looked to double check my typing. Shrug

Now, I've got about 6 months worth of .mdf files to detach/export. Sigh

(in reply to RedDog)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> Export old MSDE files Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts