• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

setting up SNMP...

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> setting up SNMP... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
setting up SNMP... - 26.Sep.2005 1:16:00 PM   
wlandymore

I'm trying to use HP OpenView 7 on the network and it said that SNMP needed to be installed. I have installed it on the ISA server, but I don't really know how to configure the community name, etc.

Does anyone have some good information as to how to set something like this up?

At the moment when I try to get past the community name option in the HP OpenView setup, it just says

"The community name for the gateway may not be correct, or the gateway is not currently responding to SNMP"
Post #: 1
RE: setting up SNMP... - 26.Sep.2005 2:28:00 PM   
Rickymag

I would recommend that SNMP not be installed on ISA for monitroing you could use MOM an MS product.

regards

RM

(in reply to wlandymore)
Post #: 2
RE: setting up SNMP... - 26.Sep.2005 3:06:00 PM   
wlandymore

If you read the above post, I was trying to use HP OpenView and it has to be SNMP. This is required by the App. so I have to do it this way.

What would be the negative in installing SNMP?

(in reply to wlandymore)
Post #: 3
RE: setting up SNMP... - 26.Sep.2005 3:39:00 PM   
LLigetfa

After you install SNMP on the ISA server, you need to go in and configure the community names. Basically they are like passwords and need to match on both sides. You will also need to create a rule for SNMP from your NMS to local host. You may want/need additional ports for syslog, traplog, etc.

I have SNMP running on my ISA.

(in reply to wlandymore)
Post #: 4
RE: setting up SNMP... - 29.Sep.2005 7:02:00 AM   
wlandymore

I've never really used the SNMP before. Is there a little documentation about configuring the community names, etc.?

I'm a little lost here.

(in reply to wlandymore)
Post #: 5
RE: setting up SNMP... - 29.Sep.2005 9:13:00 AM   
LLigetfa

Well... The "S" in SNMP is supposed to stand for "Simple", but is very much a relative term. [Roll Eyes]

I cannot give accurate advice on the HP OpenView side since I don't use it, but SNMP NMS apps generally will have default community strings and the option to set different strings for individual devices. The community strings are (or should be) a well guarded secret. If you don't manage the NMS, you will likely have to get your NMS guy to set it up for you since I doubt he would share the default strings.

On the ISA side, go to the Services applet in Control Panel and bring up the Properties page for the SNMP Service. On the Security tab, enter the community string(s) and the host you will accept packets from. If you also want traps, fill in the details on the traps tab.

That's about all I am allowed to share. Us SNMP nerds are a secret organization.

HTH

(in reply to wlandymore)
Post #: 6
RE: setting up SNMP... - 4.Oct.2005 9:24:00 AM   
wlandymore

thanks for the tips.

What you shared was enough. I just needed to know how to set the community names, etc.

Got it working with HP OpenView this morning.

thanks for the help.

(in reply to wlandymore)
Post #: 7
RE: setting up SNMP... - 28.Oct.2005 9:25:00 AM   
chris10

Check out http://snmpboy.msft.net/ - an excellent site on getting various counters out of Windows.

Also check out http://www.snmp-informant.com/ as an improved Agent for XP/2K/03

Please ensure that if running SNMPv1/v2c on a firewall that you use a Rule to only allow SNMP traffic from your Manager (Openview) to the Agent (ISA Internal Interface).

Think very carefully before enabling SNMP Write Access on a Firewall.

Security consultants would insist on running SNMP v1 or v2 in IPSec or force you to run SNMPv3.

Others would never allow SNMP to be run on a firewall device.

Personally, I don't run SNMP on any type of Firewall. If you want to monitor uptime, monitor a service simulating a Proxy Client such as Karen's Network Monitor. If monitoring system performace, ensure SNMP is at least secured.

Chris

(in reply to wlandymore)
Post #: 8
RE: setting up SNMP... - 15.Nov.2005 12:56:49 PM   
The_Randomizer

SNMP on ISA is fine as long as you don't enable the write.
Works fine on my box --> http://www.the-randomizer.nl/mrtg/mrtg.html

(in reply to chris10)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> setting up SNMP... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts