• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

dns + unidentified traffic

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> dns + unidentified traffic Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
dns + unidentified traffic - 3.Mar.2004 1:45:00 AM   
andfirth

hi thomas , i have setting up isa server 2004 on one machine with 2 nics, on another machine exchange. I published exchange,ftp,www and owa . everything works fine. when I look in the monitoring log I see connections open and closed, even overnet is working fine,but I see also a lot of unidentified traffic passing. is this normal behaviour?.I see also that when there is a making a connections on ports thats doesn,t match a rule which I made before it s denied.I think myself that overnet tries to make connections on incoming that I not allowed for the rule I made. ougoing from internal to external for all protocols is allowed. second questions is dns. I setup an internal dns on the exchange machine with forwarding my external isp dns. I set up on the isa internal nic to use the dns on the exchange. this works so far. is this the right way for setting up dns for isa . I can resolve hostnames on the isa and the exchange,and my cliens use the ipadres of the internal nic of the isa as the gateway this works ? is this the right way ? or is there a more secure way
thanks for help
andy
Post #: 1
RE: dns + unidentified traffic - 3.Mar.2004 2:04:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Andy,

The DNS setup is fine, that's the one I use many times.

The unidenfied traffic could be repsonse traffic, or protocols that do not have a protocol defintion defined for them. If the traffic is allowed, and you have an "all open" outbound access rule, then all traffic will be allowed outbound.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to andfirth)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> dns + unidentified traffic Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts