• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Caching and forcing a refresh

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> Caching and forcing a refresh Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Caching and forcing a refresh - 25.Jun.2004 7:48:00 PM   
MonsterMaxx

Tinkering around with ISA I found that I needed to add a cache drive - did so.

Almost immediatly I noticed that surfing from workstations is much faster.

Then I went to my webstore, did a little changing in the database, published the changes. Went to refresh from the workstation browser and the changes don't appear. Another machine on the same network shows the same page.

Went over to the subnet (different ISA server which isn't caching) and loaded the page and it's correct.

How can I force a refresh from a workstation so it doesn't pull from ISA's cache or flushes ISA's cache?
{F5 doesn't do it}
Post #: 1
RE: Caching and forcing a refresh - 25.Jun.2004 10:09:00 PM   
Jon9

Hi MonsterMaxx,

You can try setting the TTL time shorter. That will expire the object in the cache.

-Jon

(in reply to MonsterMaxx)
Post #: 2
RE: Caching and forcing a refresh - 27.Jun.2004 7:33:00 PM   
tshinder

Hey guys,

There are a couple of other good solutions:

1. Create a cache rule so that your Web site is never cached (but then it won't be cached for your external users either, which isn't so good)

2. Create a split DNS, so that internal hosts don't loop back through the firewall to access Internal resources

HTH,
Tom

Post #: 3
RE: Caching and forcing a refresh - 29.Jun.2004 8:10:00 AM   
MonsterMaxx

Webservers (and webstore) are not internal.
They are located in a colo in Atlanta

I could never pull that much bandwidth off a cable modem, and if I could Charter would step on my neck.

Post #: 4
RE: Caching and forcing a refresh - 29.Jun.2004 1:14:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Robin,

If the content is hosted elsewhere, you can do a CTRL+F5. If that doesn't work, empty out the browser cache. If that doesn't work, then something non-ISA is going on, 'cause the CTRL-F5 always refreshes the content. Also, configure the ISA firewall with a cache rule that never caches content from that domain.

HTH,
Tom

Post #: 5
RE: Caching and forcing a refresh - 29.Jun.2004 10:19:00 PM   
MonsterMaxx

It's got to be in ISA.
Went to the page on my station (#1) and loaded page.
Then edited database (it's the home page, I changed the featured items for the day.) Then refreshed the page on #1. Showed old data.

I went to the page w/ another machine (#2) (that's under that ISA server) loaded the page for the first time and it showed the old data.

Walked over to another workstation that's on the other ISA server here (sort of a test lab setup - 2x isa servers w/ a switch between them and the cable modem, each isa server has it's own dhcp IP from charter) and popped the page and it came up correct.

Went back to other station (#2) and did a refresh, showed old data.

~15min later did a refresh and it showed new data.

Don't really want to not cache my site. I spend a lot of time bebopping around it during the day, clearly running ISA cache makes this faster than re-loading all those images & buttons.

I'll try the ctrl+f5 next time I see this...
not a huge deal, just curious
might just be a betaII thing

[ June 29, 2004, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: MonsterMaxx ]

Post #: 6
RE: Caching and forcing a refresh - 30.Jun.2004 5:50:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Robin,

The ISA firewall does respect the cache settings returned to it from the Web server. So, if the Web server includes in its response that the content should be cached for 10 days, the ISA firewall will cache it for 10 days. However, if you do a CTRL+F5 or CTRL+click refresh, then the ISA firewall will get the fresh content.

HTH,
Tom

Post #: 7
RE: Caching and forcing a refresh - 8.Jul.2004 8:38:00 AM   
MonsterMaxx

confirmed
<ctrl>+<F5> does force a refresh even if ISA is caching

Thanks again Tom.

Post #: 8
RE: Caching and forcing a refresh - 9.Jul.2004 3:23:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Robin,

You bet!

Thanks!
Tom

Post #: 9
RE: Caching and forcing a refresh - 11.Aug.2004 11:59:00 AM   
PepeNiemand

I have exact the same problem. I also don't want to disable caching for the whole domain.

What kind of code do I have to insert to my html code to force the isa server not to cache a site.

We tried the following settings in the header:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="cache-control" CONTENT="no-cache">

But it has no effects on the cache problem.

Thank you for your answers.

P.

Post #: 10
RE: Caching and forcing a refresh - 11.Aug.2004 12:07:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Pepe,

Headers
ISA Server does not cache responses to requests that contain the following HTTP response headers:

cache-control: no-cache
cache-control: private
pragma: no-cache
www-authenticate
set-cookie

HTH<
Tom

Post #: 11
RE: Caching and forcing a refresh - 11.Aug.2004 2:50:00 PM   
PepeNiemand

Hi Tom,

Everything works fine how. We added the line to the http response header via php.

Thanks a lot,

Pepe

Post #: 12
RE: Caching and forcing a refresh - 12.Aug.2004 4:59:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Pepe,

Great! Good to hear you got it working and thanks for the follow up!

Tom

Post #: 13
RE: Caching and forcing a refresh - 19.May2005 5:23:00 PM   
vapor-trails

Gents,
I've been reading your posts. I am acclimated with the 2004 ISA offering and believe I've found a "bug" with the ISA Server.

When ISA is setup such that SecureNAT is the implementation, the refreshing of webpages has failed. That is to say, for example, weather.com has been delivering content from March (this is written on May 19th. Upon many troubleshooting techniques including CTRL+F5, CTRL+refreshbuttonclick, deleting cookies, deleting temp files (everywhere), I decided to use the browsers proxy server setting (not previously used at this particular client).

Upon adding the ISA server to the proxy server of choice in Internet Explorer, all refreshing capability returned properly. I believe this to be a bug with the way ISA is handling (and protecting) requests for content. I've duplicated this issue many times over with other site like Ebay, Amazon, etc.

I wanted to post it so people would know that "my" workaround was to specify the ISA server as the proxy server. SecureNAT and the caching mechanism used has proven to be problematic from the standpoint of refreshing updated information from websites "previously visited".

Post #: 14
RE: Caching and forcing a refresh - 7.Jun.2005 3:03:00 PM   
wendylou

I have my customers complain they see previous day's local newspaper web page. I tried to use Ctrl + F5 and it did not work. I did a view source on the news page and did see the following lines:

<meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">
<meta http-equiv="expires" content="0">

I went to my test proxy server and I was able to pull up today's news page.

So my production proxy server is holding the old page even though the page has "no-cache". I belive the settings on the proxy server played a role here. I will have to play with the settings more to see.

Post #: 15
RE: Caching and forcing a refresh - 7.Jun.2005 3:48:00 PM   
wendylou

I have figured out what I need to do to have a fresh page (on this one specific news page any way). I selected "Only if a valid version object exist in cache...." on the Cache Store and Retrieval tab. Now I get the fresh page. I still need to figure out how this impacts my cache function though.

Post #: 16

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> Caching and forcing a refresh Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts