• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Problems Connecting SBS 2003 Using Broadband Modem

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> Problems Connecting SBS 2003 Using Broadband Modem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problems Connecting SBS 2003 Using Broadband Modem - 19.Oct.2004 10:58:00 PM   
leveeBreaks

Frustration! I've installed ISA 2004 evaluation on a SBS 2003 machine. The server has one NIC for the local network and connects to the internet using a BT Voyager 100 DSL modem. Technically this (I believe) is a dial-up connection, since it has to be initiated to connect the modem.

I can initiate a connection manually on the server, and the connected machines can see the internet and my access rules and policies are enforced.

However, when the modem is not connected and I try to access the Internet from a workstation, ISA will not dial a connection automatically, and after a time-out period I get a DNS-related message saying that the website cannot be found.

However, when I go to the SBS server and connect manually, the workstation can get access.

The SBS 2003 box is the only server in a small network, and controls DNS, DHCP and all related services.

I've successfully configured ISA 2000 on larger networks in the past, but this is my first time with 2004 and a DSL modem.

Can anyone help?
Post #: 1
RE: Problems Connecting SBS 2003 Using Broadband Modem - 21.Oct.2004 12:31:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Levee,

The ISA firewall isn't supported on SBS at this time. You'll need to wait until SBS SP1.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to leveeBreaks)
Post #: 2
RE: Problems Connecting SBS 2003 Using Broadband Modem - 26.Oct.2004 8:58:00 AM   
leveeBreaks

Thanks for that Tom.

I understand that the broadband service I'm using isn't terribly well suited to an ISA configuration.

Would it be worth my while downgrading to ISA 2000 on this, or go with my gut instinct which is to buy a broadband router with an ethernet connection to use this service?

Gerard

(in reply to leveeBreaks)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> Problems Connecting SBS 2003 Using Broadband Modem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts