• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ISA 2004 Cache Server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> ISA 2004 Cache Server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ISA 2004 Cache Server - 24.Nov.2004 5:45:00 PM   
amcgreevy

Hi,

I have just installed ISA 2004 on a single NIC server. I just need to use it as a cache/web proxy server. So far I am able to access internal sites when I set it as my proxy for testing but not external. It looks to me like i have configured the Single Network Adapter network template correctly but I am a novice with ISA.
Can anyone help?
Post #: 1
RE: ISA 2004 Cache Server - 25.Nov.2004 6:00:00 AM   
AHIT

Howdy confused!

1st question, can the ISA server resolve DNS names for machine/sites out on the Internet?
and/or
2nd Q: Does it also have "access" to the 'net? ie: Can view those external webpages from the ISA machine.
Without both of the above OK/working, ISA can't possible cache external sites as the box cant even get to them!

(in reply to amcgreevy)
Post #: 2
RE: ISA 2004 Cache Server - 25.Nov.2004 11:56:00 AM   
amcgreevy

Howdy back Tolk,
The ISA server can access the internet but when I set proxy settings on test clients to point at this machine they can only access intranet sites, otherwise its 'page cannot be displayed'.
I have set up a network rule to allow internal networks internet access, the Internal network is set up with our full internal IP range, i set up a firewall policy rule to allow outbound traffic and have tried stopping the firewall service as we are only using it as a proxy/cache server. I know its probably something ridiculously simple I have missed but I cannot figure out what!

I have just edited this post as i have a new error message to report. I restarted the firewall service again and when I set the ISA server as its own proxy it can access the internet but when I point a client to it I get the following error message: Technical Information (for support personnel)
Error Code: 502 Proxy Error. The ISA Server denied the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). (12202)
Date: 11/25/2004 2:36:31 PM
Source: proxy

[ November 25, 2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Confused ]

(in reply to amcgreevy)
Post #: 3
RE: ISA 2004 Cache Server - 26.Nov.2004 12:26:00 AM   
AHIT

"I restarted the firewall service again "....
In your 1st post you say that this is a single NIC ISA installation.
This is NOT a supported configuration.
Single NIC installlations can only eb for cache only. If you have the firewall service installed then you've got in firewall/intergrated mode.
For firewall/integrated you should have 2 NIC's.. one for internal network, and one for external...

(in reply to amcgreevy)
Post #: 4
RE: ISA 2004 Cache Server - 27.Dec.2004 5:00:00 PM   
abbubakir

I am having the same problem.

Configured http & https from internal to internal (single NIC). I have http access on the proxy itself, but clients get the error "Error Code: 502 Proxy Error. The ISA Server denied the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). (12202)" after entering the proxy authentication.

(in reply to amcgreevy)
Post #: 5
RE: ISA 2004 Cache Server - 13.Jan.2005 1:12:00 PM   
amcgreevy

abbubakir,

Did you get a fix? In Ahit's post he says "If you have the firewall service installed then you've got in firewall/intergrated mode".

Is there a way just to install as a cache server and not install in integrated mode? I have applied the Single Network adapter template and configured the access rules to allow internal to internal, local host to internal and everyone to external.

[ January 13, 2005, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Confused ]

(in reply to amcgreevy)
Post #: 6
RE: ISA 2004 Cache Server - 13.Jan.2005 5:52:00 PM   
abbubakir

Hi,

I think I got it. This is what I did:

1. Under Networks - Internal Network - Properties - Web Proxy - Authentication - uncheck "Require all users to authenticate". Also select your authentication methods - I selected Integrated for windows clients/members of AD (seamless authentication without prompts), and basic for other clients that need standard proxy authentication (mac, linux).

2. Under Networks - Local host - Web Proxy - Authentication - I checked " "Require all users to authenticate", and selected the same authentication methods.

I have been able to access the Internet and test some rules that I created.

Keep in mind that I am new to the whole ISA thing (both 2000 and 2004), so I am not 100% sure that this is needed to be done - or if this is a supported configuration.

hope this help

all that read this post are welcome to reply

(in reply to amcgreevy)
Post #: 7
RE: ISA 2004 Cache Server - 24.Jan.2005 11:58:00 AM   
Johno

quote:
Originally posted by Tolk:
"I restarted the firewall service again "....
In your 1st post you say that this is a single NIC ISA installation.
This is NOT a supported configuration.

Hi Confused
If you read the above and the outline in the network templates for single NIC in the management console it Elaborates on this and says "ISA Server cannot be used as an edge firewall and will not support : IP level and transport level packet filtering........and firewall clients"
Im no expert either but it seems this is what you are asking it to do. Also, you cant configure the ISA server to use itself for a proxy like you could in ISA 2000. Thats why you are getting this "Error Code: 502 Proxy Error. The ISA Server denied the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). (12202)
Date: 11/25/2004 2:36:31 PM
Source: proxy"

Sorry but I am really of no help as I dont know how to set up for cache only. In the help file for ISA2004 there is a large page of setup info under Single Network Adapter Template. Just use the search function.

Johno

[ January 29, 2005, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Johno ]

(in reply to amcgreevy)
Post #: 8
RE: ISA 2004 Cache Server - 14.Mar.2005 5:08:00 PM   
corbetta

I got this error too. says in the help to include all network adreeses in the LAT for the internal networks but changing this to only include the internal network adresses in use on my network seems to fix the problem.

Does anyone know if the documentation is incorrect?

(in reply to amcgreevy)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> ISA 2004 Cache Server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts