• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Percentage of available memory to use for caching

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> Percentage of available memory to use for caching Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Percentage of available memory to use for caching - 13.Apr.2005 3:24:00 PM   
LLigetfa

In the cache settings on the advanced tab, there is a setting for "Percentage of available memory to use for caching" but regardless of what I increase the number to, it will not use the memory. I started off building the server with 1 gig of RAM and then decided to toss in another 2 gig for a total of 3 gig. Is there some undocumented upper limit on the size of RAM cache?

Based on my understanding of percentages, by tripling the amount of RAM, the RAM cache should have nearly tripled too but that is not the case.

In the event log, I have:
quote:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Microsoft ISA Server Web Proxy
Event Category: None
Event ID: 14193
Date: 4/12/2005
Time: 10:41:34 PM
User: N/A
Computer: FFISA
Description:
Cache was initialized with less cache memory than was configured. This is because there is not enough free memory available for ISA Server caching.

Post #: 1
RE: Percentage of available memory to use for caching - 14.Apr.2005 2:10:00 AM   
LLigetfa

Dang. Nobody have anything to say? Somebody must be running ISA with more than a gig of RAM. It is a waste of money then to toss anothet 2 gig in the box to only have the MSDE eventually swallow it up.

Looking in task manager now, I have:
sqlservr.exe 1,716,692 K
wspsrv.exe 471,472 K

(in reply to LLigetfa)
Post #: 2
RE: Percentage of available memory to use for caching - 14.Apr.2005 7:46:00 PM   
I've got 2GB of ram in my ISA box with the setting set to %60 and it's using 497MB of RAM. I did notice that when I upped it from %50 to %60 that the page file increased tremendously, but the physical usage only went up by about 20MB.

Of course, the setting says "Percentage of FREE memory to use for caching." If you're running more than ISA on your box than ISA, then it will have less free memory to allocate because other processes are using up the free RAM. I imagine if you moved your logs to an off server SQL Database that might give you more RAM usage.

(in reply to LLigetfa)
  Post #: 3
RE: Percentage of available memory to use for caching - 14.Apr.2005 9:41:00 PM   
iwannabfishn

I had a problem with SQLSVR.exe taking up all the free memory on my ISA server. myxiplx helped me out with the information below. If fixed the problem by limiting the amount of memory that sqlsvr can use. This may not fix your problem with the cache memory, but it helped my box run better.

There is a 'max server memory' option in SQL and MSDE, with the default being 2147483647Mb! However it is possible to change this using the osql utility installed with MSDE. I haven't run this long enough on our server to test, but believe it will work according to Microsoft's documentation.

It appears that by default SQL Server, and MSDE will grab as much memory as they can since they assume that they are on a dedicated database server. MS seem to imply that the 'max server memory' parameter should be set if the server isn't exclusively a SQL server here. Microsoft also have more details on the max and min memory parameters.

I then found this page with details of the scripts to configure these paramaters, and this knowledgebase article explaining how to use osql. With these two articles, it is possible to reset the 'max server memory' parameter, with the change taking effect immediately.

You will need to know the SQL instance name to use osql and this can be found in the Services list. In my case, the service was named MSSQL$MSFW and MSFW is the instance name.

Two scripts are shown below, one to check your server's max memory setting, and one to change the value.

To view the memory on your server, copy the following commands to a text file (eg. c:\checkmemory.sql):

code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USE masterEXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDEUSE masterEXEC sp_configure 'max server memory (MB)'USE masterEXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 0RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can now check the 'max server memory' setting on your server by running the following from a command prompt on the server:

code:

osql -E -S servername\MSFW -i c:\checksqlmemory.sql

To change the max memory size, use a script similar to the following (this sets it to 256Mb):

code:

USE masterEXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDEUSE masterEXEC sp_configure 'max server memory (MB)', 256RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDEUSE masterEXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 0RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

Again, save that to a text file (eg 'c:\setservermemory.sql') and run it with the command:

code:

osql -E -S servername\MSFW -i c:\setchecksqlmemory.sql

(in reply to LLigetfa)
Post #: 4
RE: Percentage of available memory to use for caching - 14.Apr.2005 9:44:00 PM   
iwannabfishn

That post did not turn out to well. Here is a link to the original.

http://forums.isaserver.org/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=32;t=000110

(in reply to LLigetfa)
Post #: 5
RE: Percentage of available memory to use for caching - 14.Apr.2005 10:48:00 PM   
LLigetfa

Thanks,
I did see that post about limiting MSDE. I also got a link from M$ to http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325003 and gave them both to my DBA to look at. She is much smarter than me (when it comes to SQL anyway [Wink] ) and she limited SQL now to 1024 MB.

Still, I get the "Cache was initialized with less cache memory than was configured" which I don't understand. When I boot the box, PF Usage starts off at around 1.6 GB with sqlservr.exe using around 100,000 K and growing.

I started out increasing the RAM cache for 10% to 60% and then 80% but still the error. AmI understanding the setting wrong? If I change it back to 10%, the PF Usage goes way down, the memory footprint for wspsrv.exe drops to around 121,992 K, and the event log no longer shows the error.

Change it to 20% and the PF Usage goes up, the memory footprint for wspsrv.exe increases to around 212,000 K, and the event log shows no error.

Change it to 30% and the PF Usage goes up some more, the memory footprint for wspsrv.exe increases to around 301,000 K, and the event log shows no error.

More of the same for 40% and 50%, but as soon as I try 60% I get the error and nothing above that increases the PF Usage. I have to assume that there is an upper limit that the manual does not mention and the 100% mentioned in the manual is some theoretical value.

Is there anyone out there that has different results?

(in reply to LLigetfa)
Post #: 6
RE: Percentage of available memory to use for caching - 22.Apr.2005 7:00:00 PM   
LLigetfa

Hmmm... no more takers?

K, well... I did find this MS KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837577
It explains that it is not really "Free" memory but total memory.

Then I found another KB:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823075

It only makes mention of ISA 2000 the math does not work out. I have 3 gig and 60% of that is not the 2 gig limit discussed. Combined however with the base memory requirement for the OS and the 1 gig for MSDE, 60% of "Total" memory would put me over the top.

(in reply to LLigetfa)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> Percentage of available memory to use for caching Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts