• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Automatically detect settings vs Use Automatic config script

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> Web Proxy client >> Automatically detect settings vs Use Automatic config script Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Automatically detect settings vs Use Automatic config s... - 17.Aug.2004 6:24:00 PM   
Ross G

Hi all,

I noticed a slight issue when I enabled, through group policy, the "automatically detect settings" browser setting for IE. The issue is that every once in a while, despite the setting being checked, some browsers stopped using the ISA server. When I unchecked the setting, opened IE, then Re-checked the setting, and re-opened IE the problem was solved.

For a more permanent fix, I checked the "use automatic config script" box and put in the address and port. This works to resolve the problem, but now when these machines (laptops) are off the network or the ISA server is unavailable users must wait 15 or so seconds while the browser tries to find the ISA server. Finally, it seems to use the alternate path (direct to internet).

Am I darned if I do and darned if I don't?
Post #: 1
RE: Automatically detect settings vs Use Automatic conf... - 18.Aug.2004 1:35:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Ross,

I've never had a problem with autodetect and in fact, you don't even need to set it via group policy, as its the browser default settings.

However, I've never had a problem with users changing proxy settings. If they're smart enough to travel, register in hotels and get on airplane, they can change the browser settings [Smile]

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to Ross G)
Post #: 2
RE: Automatically detect settings vs Use Automatic conf... - 19.Aug.2004 1:22:00 AM   
BobW

quote:
Originally posted by tshinder:
If they're smart enough to travel, register in hotels and get on airplane, they can change the browser settings

Nothing personal, but I have to disagree with this statement....not starting a flame war, just my experience in small to medium non-technical businesses is that most users can not use their computers as well as most folks think they can...

Sorry,
Bob

[ August 19, 2004, 04:25 AM: Message edited by: BobW ]

(in reply to Ross G)
Post #: 3
RE: Automatically detect settings vs Use Automatic conf... - 8.Sep.2004 1:00:00 AM   
I agree with Bobw, we have a lot of mobile staff whose skill set is not IT, and normally our IT staff have to make the change when they come into the office and again when they leave or ring from the road to change settings back again.

Anyway... is there a simple solution to this problem?

(in reply to Ross G)
  Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> Web Proxy client >> Automatically detect settings vs Use Automatic config script Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts