• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Caching Windows Updates?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> Cache Rules >> Caching Windows Updates? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Caching Windows Updates? - 6.Nov.2004 3:01:00 AM   
mdriest

We are using ISA 2004 in our company, network wide. We have a group of PCs in their own subnet that are connected to their own network in ISA. These PCs are located on our Repair Facility network and are constantly accessing the Microsoft Windows Update web site. The updates files for download can vary ofcourse because the OS's range from Windows 98/ME/2000/XP.

When we had our ISA 2000 server in place, by default it would cache every single windows update that was downloaded. Once 1 machine downloaded the update it would remain in the cache.

Now with ISA 2004 it seems that the default cache rules, and even after modifying the cache rules the Windows Updates only stay cached for a short period of time.

Anybody messed with the caching enough to make some suggestions?....Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Caching Windows Updates? - 6.Nov.2004 4:23:00 AM   
Ara.A

You can create different policy for windows update site and change time limit or better option would be using SUS
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/default.mspx
[Big Grin]

(in reply to mdriest)
Post #: 2
RE: Caching Windows Updates? - 6.Nov.2004 4:48:00 AM   
mdriest

I did some digging and MS has an article that says their Windows Update site uses BITS and that it prevents ISA from caching it b/c it scrambles the header requests.

I thought of different rules with different time limits, just haven't tried them yet.

I was looking into the SUS package, I was wondering if SUS sets up an internal windows update URL, i.e. http://myserver/updatesite

(in reply to mdriest)
Post #: 3
RE: Caching Windows Updates? - 6.Nov.2004 7:00:00 AM   
Ara.A

For that you may have to look at SMS 2003 but $$$
http://www.microsoft.com/smserver/

[ November 06, 2004, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Ara ]

(in reply to mdriest)
Post #: 4
RE: Caching Windows Updates? - 11.Nov.2004 7:58:00 AM   
ljp1967

Hi mdriest,

SUS works in conjunction with Group Policy and the Automatic Updates service on Servers/Clients.

Once SUS is installed and configured on a server in your Local network, you then create a new GPO or modify an existing one to incorporate clients/servers to receive updates from the SUS server (http://sus_server_name)

HTH,
ljp

(in reply to mdriest)
Post #: 5
RE: Caching Windows Updates? - 11.Nov.2004 7:27:00 PM   
mdriest

Well SUS wouldn't work well for us if you can only use it with a new GPO. We service customer machines that are never joined to our domain, only connected to a subnet on our network.

It would be nice if on those customer machines we could type something like http://ourinternalupdateserver/ which would allow us to download the cached windows updates.

We do not want to configure automatic updates to use any internal URL, we want everything done manually.

I wish ISA2004 would cache the windows update content, it makes sense that MS would do such a thing to force large corporations to buy a SUS server, etc.

(in reply to mdriest)
Post #: 6
RE: Caching Windows Updates? - 12.Nov.2004 1:08:00 AM   
ljp1967

hi mdriest,

no, M$oft is not being greedy in this case, SUS is a free download [Wink]

thanks,
ljp

[ November 12, 2004, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: ljp1967 ]

(in reply to mdriest)
Post #: 7
RE: Caching Windows Updates? - 13.Nov.2004 5:18:00 PM   
Ara.A

I don't know if this might help or not, but use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer and it has an option to be used with sus [Wink]

(in reply to mdriest)
Post #: 8
RE: Caching Windows Updates? - 15.Nov.2004 4:47:00 PM   
awj

For what it's worth if you try it you will find that the Microsoft updates are cached. I say this as unless my internet connection can download 75Mb in less that a second they must be. (and it can't unfortunately)

Unfortunately office updates don't cache.

(in reply to mdriest)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> Cache Rules >> Caching Windows Updates? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts