• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

FTP scanning with GFI

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Misc.] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> FTP scanning with GFI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FTP scanning with GFI - 19.Apr.2004 11:59:00 AM   
Hi,

In our setup we use Firewall client to reroute all external traffic via the ISA server. However, if a user tries to download an file from FTP, GFI doesn't scan this file (might contain virus). How do i scan it? (FTP scanning is turned on)
  Post #: 1
RE: FTP scanning with GFI - 10.May2004 5:10:00 PM   

You have to have ftp access redirected via HTTP proxy. I think it works only when used as passive ftp connection and u have to disable all other types of ftp connections . It is described in gfi's faq and in help file as well i believe.
There are some limitation but anyway for more advanced users u can create separate rules.
If you wouldnt manage let me know.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: FTP scanning with GFI - 24.Sep.2004 1:05:00 PM   
kbs

From GFI manual regardin FTP download:

Ensure that users download files and browse ftp servers using Internet explorer. To enforce this, do not deploy the firewall client to users. Users will need to disable folder view in Internet Explorer in order to view ftp server contents. Deploy the firewall client to those few users who need to use an FTP client. (Note that these uploads and downloads will not be content checked)

OR

2. Disable the FTP access filter - this way FTP clients will not be able to connect to ftp servers, whether they have the firewall client or not. Users will need to disable folder view in Internet Explorer in order to view ftp server contents. The disadvantage of this method is that no one on the network will be able to use an FTP client.

To disable folder view in Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer 5 and higher will automatically be a http proxy server FTP client. However, you will need to make sure that your users do not browse ftp servers using 'folder view'. If folder view is switched on, then browsing FTP sites will fail if you have disabled the FTP access filter. If you disable folder view users will browse and download from ftp servers using http based folder view, and therefore the data can be scanned and quarantined by GFI DownloadSecurity for ISA server.

Important: If you don't disable folder view, users will not be able to browse ftp sites.

IMPORTANT: If you deploy the ISA server firewall client to all users and don't disable the FTP access filter, users will be able to bypass the GFI DownloadSecurity for ISA quarantine system for files!

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 3
RE: FTP scanning with GFI - 6.Oct.2004 8:38:00 AM   
Those are pretty severe limitations in my opinion. Anyways, I wouldn't use GFI as I need a complete solution including activeX and javascript scans in realtime. Thus clients won't need to have antivirus software installed at all; all is taken care of at the gateway. Trying out Mcafee SecurityShield at the moment, next up is Finjan Vital Security.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Misc.] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> FTP scanning with GFI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts