Surfcontrol using SQL (Full Version)

All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Misc.] >> 3rd Party Add-ons

Sunny.C -> Surfcontrol using SQL (30.Jul.2005 9:55:00 PM)

Hey guys just wondering when your using surf addon to isa is it best to use a full version sql located on your internal network or the MSDE that comes with it??
My isa is a domain member.

danahallenbeck -> RE: Surfcontrol using SQL (1.Aug.2005 3:35:00 PM)

I think it's more secure to have it report to an external database...If you have a SQL server available to you. Plus if you load MSDE on the ISA server, that's just one more thing to keep patched and be security conscious about.

Which ever DB you go with, just make sure you can manage it and that there is enough space to accomodate the data. Depending on the size of your user base, you may have to come up with an archival process for old SurfControl data.

Dana Hallenbeck

Sunny.C -> RE: Surfcontrol using SQL (1.Aug.2005 6:47:00 PM)

I went with the MSDE on the webfilter keep it seperate from my network's sql, but i think i'll use my internal sql with the exchange surfcontrol filter. WHat do you guys think?

danahallenbeck -> RE: Surfcontrol using SQL (5.Aug.2005 3:38:00 PM)

I don't have much experience with SurfControl eMail Filter, but I can't see any reason why you shouldn't do this. I would imagine that the eMail Filter database would grow considerably faster than the WebFilter database. So this may be a good idea. This might also keep the disk I/O from becoming a performance bottleneck... depending on your server hardware.

Dana Hallenbeck

Page: [1]