• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Architecture and Server sizing for 6500 + Users

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Cache] >> General >> Architecture and Server sizing for 6500 + Users Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Architecture and Server sizing for 6500 + Users - 25.Jul.2002 9:24:00 AM   
J.Beunk

Hello,

I'm looking for documentation / information on Server sizing for ISA server. There are approximately 6500 users in our organization and the users are divided over several ( 9) NT 4.0 domains. We need to scale the solution with "availability" in mind so we are thinking about Win2K NLB or Stonebeat Full Cluster. We can't use Win2k AD so I guess ISA Enterprise (and CARP) is out of the question. Most clients are Win9x but we also have several Mac and Unix clients. ISA server is going to be used for caching purposes only. (FW-1 is being used as our firewall)

Has anyone experience with such a infrastructure ? How many users can be placed on a single ISA server (How to determine ?) Anyone experience with Stonesoft /NLB i.c.w. ISA Server.

Any information is welcome !

Kind regards,

josh@beunk.net
Post #: 1
RE: Architecture and Server sizing for 6500 + Users - 31.Jul.2002 2:33:00 PM   
lemonwater925

ISA is CPU and memory intensive (at least that is what I seen from 8 months of daily reports).

6500...What you have to look at is the amount of concurrent users. What kind of usage ? Downloads and uploads size ?

3 machines
Quad CPUs and at least 2 Gig of RAM.

We have gone to a 3 instead of 2 redundancy model. Reason being, that if it is mission critical you never want to leave yourself with a single server running.

My $0.02

(in reply to J.Beunk)
Post #: 2
RE: Architecture and Server sizing for 6500 + Users - 4.Aug.2002 5:39:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Lemon,

Another consideration is the speed of the connection. The processor intensiveness is number of evaulations/second, which is a related to the number of evaluations/packet and packets/second through the external interface.

Thanks!

Tom

(in reply to J.Beunk)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Cache] >> General >> Architecture and Server sizing for 6500 + Users Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts