• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Cache Size

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Cache] >> General >> Cache Size Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cache Size - 5.Nov.2002 9:42:00 PM   
Cid

I know the standard formula for determining cachs size is:
100MB + 0.5MB Per Client

This comes out to 500MB for me.

I have enough space on the server for a 19GB cache file. The server also has 1 Gig of memory.

Should I create a larger cache file, for better performance?
Post #: 1
RE: Cache Size - 6.Nov.2002 5:41:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Cid,

Go ahead and create a 1 GB cache.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to Cid)
Post #: 2
RE: Cache Size - 7.Nov.2002 7:51:00 AM   
I have P3, with 256 MB ram, 40 GB IDE Hard disk, I have 512kbps satellite download link,I have around 100 cable.net clients I have 600-700MB download Per Day.
What cache size is recommended for my setup?
another question: what will happen when cache fulls? will it delete automatically ? or how does it replace or donot cache new items?

(in reply to Cid)
  Post #: 3
RE: Cache Size - 7.Nov.2002 3:32:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi ISA Cache,

600-700 MB would be a good size for your cache.

If the cache fills, it removes the oldest entries and replaces them with new ones.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to Cid)
Post #: 4
RE: Cache Size - 7.Nov.2002 3:58:00 PM   
tlidberg

Hi!

Will it cause any problems to have a too large cache file?

/Tobias

(in reply to Cid)
Post #: 5
RE: Cache Size - 7.Nov.2002 7:42:00 PM   
Cid

It is my understanding that if you have too large of a cache file, it will bog down your memory.

I have not found any type of formula to determin cache size related to memory.

(in reply to Cid)
Post #: 6
RE: Cache Size - 8.Nov.2002 5:13:00 PM   
tshinder

Hey guys,

Ideally, your entire cache size should fit into memory for the best performance. I too have found it you make it too large, you are more likely to get cache corruption.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to Cid)
Post #: 7
RE: Cache Size - 11.Nov.2002 12:30:00 PM   
tlidberg

Just for my clarification,

I shouldnt have my cache set to bigger than my RAM? Or RAM + Virtual Memory?

Thanks!
Tobias

(in reply to Cid)
Post #: 8
RE: Cache Size - 12.Nov.2002 6:36:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Tobias,

RAM. Virtual memory is disk based, so you don't benefit by using it for the Web cache.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to Cid)
Post #: 9
RE: Cache Size - 12.Nov.2002 3:37:00 PM   
tlidberg

Ah, of course! Sometimes ones brain just stops... [Big Grin]

(in reply to Cid)
Post #: 10
RE: Cache Size - 26.Nov.2002 9:36:00 PM   
OK, I'm wrestling with this one, too. 850 MB is what I come to using the 100 +.5 per user, yet the MCSE manual on page 216 gives an example of using 12 GB for a cache file. It says the max cache file will be 10 GB and if more is allocated to the cache then a second file up to 10 GB will be created.

We've got a Standard version P-III 1.2 GB dual processor box with 1.2 GB of RAM. There's a separate 18 GB SCSI drive for nothing but the cache and I've got a 15 GB cache allocated right now.

After a month or so, the performance monitor shows about 9 GB is allocated for the cache and the RAM used for the cache floats between 35% and 51% with 60% of free memory allocated for cache use. I upped the size of the URL stored in RAM to 15,000 bytes.

It kind of sounds like I could cut my cache size to 10 GB or less. Does anyone know if this would help performance? We see a couple of second delay sometimes before a page is returned. Can I reset the cache size lower without a reboot?

Secondly, is anyone using Active Caching and if so, do you think it makes a noticeable difference?

Thanks,

Ray

(in reply to Cid)
  Post #: 11
RE: Cache Size - 27.Nov.2002 11:43:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Ray,

I used to enabled active caching until I downloaded 10 GB of stuff from CNN and FOX news in one day. Talk about agressive active caching! [Big Grin] Now I set the Active Caching feature to "normal" and it works much better.

Compare the hard disk access speed with the speed of your connection. If you have a slow link, the disk access is going to be much faster. If you have an OC3 and you're connecting to fast servers, the the disk may be slower. There is no hard and faster rule, just a matter of trial and error based on changing the values and monitoring in your own environment.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to Cid)
Post #: 12
RE: Cache Size - 1.Dec.2002 9:19:00 PM   
Hi Tom,

Did you have that problem with Active Caching or Scheduled Downloads? My old memory thought it was with scheduled downloads. In any event, I think I'll try active caching in normal mode and see what happens.
Take care,

Ray

(in reply to Cid)
  Post #: 13
RE: Cache Size - 2.Dec.2002 4:38:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Ray,

Hmmm. I do recall the problems with scheduled content downloads, but there continued to be excessive proactive behavior with the Active Caching feature. I'll have to check it out again and see if I can replicate the problem.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to Cid)
Post #: 14
RE: Cache Size - 4.Dec.2002 3:15:00 AM   
I reset the cache from 15 Gb to 5 Gb this afternoon. All it took was a restart of the web proxy service which took about eight seconds. I'll see if I notice any difference in speed with the smaller cache.

It took about a month for it to build itself up to 11 GB of cached info which was just over one million URLs, so I'm comfortable with the change.

Ray

(in reply to Cid)
  Post #: 15
RE: Cache Size - 4.Dec.2002 7:19:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Ray,

And you have to honestly asked yourself if you really needed to cache that million URLs [Big Grin]

Let us know how it works out for you!

Tom

(in reply to Cid)
Post #: 16
RE: Cache Size - 8.Dec.2002 12:49:00 AM   
Yes, that was one of the reasons I decided to change it. 1,000,000 seemd a bit excessive. :-)

Took stopping and restarting the web proxy service, which took about 8 seconds. Not enough for anyone to notice.

Did not see any improvement in performance and I'm still seeing "failed to log" event log errors.

Ray

(in reply to Cid)
  Post #: 17
RE: Cache Size - 10.Dec.2002 5:20:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Ray,

Someone mentioned that things got better when they disabled the log compression setting. Try it and let us know what happened.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to Cid)
Post #: 18
RE: Cache Size - 15.Nov.2008 3:16:51 PM   
gulerayh

Hi

I have more than 5000 users and its campus area network and users are students. In computer labratories they always use internet in daytime. So how much cache space do you recommend me to set for this network

Thanks

Ayhan Guler
MCP | MCTS-Vista

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 19

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Cache] >> General >> Cache Size Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread