• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

64 - Host not available problem and reverse DNS

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Cache] >> General >> 64 - Host not available problem and reverse DNS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
64 - Host not available problem and reverse DNS - 8.Jan.2005 3:46:00 AM   
phardstaff

I had a wierd problem that had an even wierder solution. For a certain site I had to give my users an IP URL, ie http://66.197.246.198/read/ as a temporary work around for a browser config problem. I run a network that spans 2 countries, I have a site in Noumea and one in Fiji, Fiji is linked to Noumea via satellite, I have a web proxy in Fiji that connects to the proxy in Noumea from where it connects to the Internet. From Noumea the URL works fine, from Fiji they got this.

The page cannot be displayed .....
Open the 66.197.246.198 home page, ......
64 - Host not available
Internet Security and Acceleration Server

so I start to take a look at the Suva ISA box and find a routing rule that the admin over there had stuck in, it was totally useless as what she was trying to do is set in the browser anyway, she had created a rule to bypass the proxy for *.spc.int, that being our local domain. This is set in all browsers anyway, ie don't use the proxy for *.spc.int. I didn't see how this rule could affect someone trying to browse a site by IP address but I disabled it anyway, when I did that the IP URL worked ?

The only explanation that makes any sense is that the ISA web proxy does a reverse lookup on the IP number URL, sees that this resolves to lyris.spc.int and enforces the rule to not use the proxy for *.spc.int and of course cannot connect to the server because it is outside our local network (and hence why I was using the IP number URL in the first place), having "don't use proxy for *.spc.int" set in the web browser works correctly ? and uses the proxy for the IP number URL.

Can someone confirm this is by desgin ? because it is inconsistent with how IE and most anything else works.

Cheers

Phill
Post #: 1
RE: 64 - Host not available problem and reverse DNS - 8.Jan.2005 1:34:00 PM   
ianfermo

Hi,

I also had the same problem but the problem was solve. This is a DNS issue. The DNS cannot resolve/delayed responce the site that you wan't to browse and ISA Server returns this error message. This is usually an ISP problem if you have one.

Work around : You should install DNS(Cache Mode) on your internal network to resolve this issue.

Cheers,

(in reply to phardstaff)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Cache] >> General >> 64 - Host not available problem and reverse DNS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts