• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Emule Configuration ISA 2004

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Misc.] >> Gaming >> Emule Configuration ISA 2004 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 10.Sep.2004 12:41:00 PM   
Hegris

Hi

I have made a tutorial on how to get a high ID with emule. Download from link under.

http://www.2and2.net/Priv/EmuleIsa2004STDConfig.doc

Hegris
Post #: 1
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 10.Sep.2004 4:11:00 PM   
Elephant

Hi Hegris,

Thanks for the info! I was waiting for something like this [Smile]

But I've noticed one thing: ISA stops responding after eMule starts asking for sources and only get back to normal when eMule is closed.

Tried to changed the number of connections in 5 seconds to 3 but that don't change that behavior.

Have you experienced the same problem?

Thanks!

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 2
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 12.Sep.2004 11:36:00 AM   
Hegris

Re:Elephant

No I haven't experienced that isa server stop responding.

Do you have emule installed on the same server as ISA Server?

hegris

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 3
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 21.Sep.2004 9:57:00 AM   
Andrea71

This configuration wark also if emule is installed on the isa server machine?

Thanks
Andrea

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 4
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 22.Sep.2004 8:22:00 PM   
mt247

I followed ur guide exactly but still getting low ids in emule. emule is using the standart ports and ive got no clue, where the mistake is.
emule is running on a client in the domain. only the isa2k4 firewall is running. anyone has an idea?

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 5
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 22.Sep.2004 9:14:00 PM   
mt247

On the client computer everything runs fine. outlook, messenger, internet explorer, ftp everything runs without errors. but i alway get the low id stuff in emule.... [Confused] [Confused]

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 6
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 22.Sep.2004 9:42:00 PM   
mt247

After installing the isa firewall-client everything works fine.... ;-)The low id disappeared...

Thank you Hegris for ur great tutorial.

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 7
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 24.Sep.2004 10:51:00 AM   
Hegris

Re: Andrea71

I am not 100% sure, but i think the configuration will work if you install FW client on the server and do all the configuration specified in the tutorial.

Re: mt247

It is good to here you got it working.

I have used this config for about 1 month myself and it working great, no problems no errors!

hegris

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 8
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 3.Oct.2004 3:08:00 PM   
thanks for info [Wink]

(in reply to Hegris)
  Post #: 9
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 3.Oct.2004 4:28:00 PM   
BSDBOY

quote:
Originally posted by Hegris:
Hi

I have made a tutorial on how to get a high ID with emule. Download from link under.

http://www.2and2.net/Priv/EmuleIsa2004STDConfig.doc

Hegris

1. May I ask why should we choose anywhere in network settings?
2. Does it open security holes if we go wild like this?
3. Why just not create the rule and source will be local host and destination external client?
Thank you

[Confused]

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 10
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 4.Oct.2004 11:06:00 PM   
Hegris

Re: BSDBOY

There is probably more secure and easier ways to config the use of Emule with ISA 2004, my goal was to get it working and get high ID.

If you you want a maximum secure server you will never give permission to access p2p network in the first place.

why should we choose anywhere in network settings?

You don't need to choose anywhere, if you wan't you can specify the the servers that you want to connect to.

Does it open security holes if we go wild like this? yes

You specify the port range that will be open, and it is up to you how wide that range will be, normally the donkey servers are within the port range of 4000-5000.

Why just not create the rule and source will be local host and destination external client?

It sounds easy, try and when you get it working post it here.

hegris

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 11
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 17.Oct.2004 3:52:00 PM   
zjorz

Hi,

I used Hegris' configuration guide for using Emule behind ISA, but I'm not able to use emule.

My configuration is:
front-firewall = linksys broadband router with port forwarding enable for the emule ports

back-firewall = ISA 2004 configured with the configuration guide provided by Hegris.

Does someone have a similar configuration like this or is there someone that knows what could be wrong?

All help appreciated!

Thanx
Zjorz

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 12
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 18.Oct.2004 12:31:00 AM   
zjorz

Hi,

In addition to what I mentioned above...

When I perform a port check from within Emule the site reports everything is OK, but in the emule gui when I try to connect to some server it reports: "fatal error while trying to connect. internet connection might be down"

I wonder what else could be wrong....

Anyone?

Regards,
Jorge

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 13
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 28.Oct.2004 4:04:00 AM   
Ara.A

Hello

There is absolutely not a secure way to get high id on emule. I tell you why.
Any file sharing program including emule has a set of standard ports to use. As an example emule uses 4662 tcp and 4672 udp, but the problem comes when everybody in world start using a non standard port to run the application so we have no f* clue which ports to go get the chunk back.
Run net stat in command line when you use emule and see that it opens whole amount of ports of machine( due to stay in queue ) and also is trying all different kind of ports out there since everybody has different settings. You canĘt have a secure access way like web access because http has a standard rule, tcp(80) and ftp(21)
Think of a simple home router and why it allows access for emule. It allows any port from local to any port to outside. In that case you have to create a new rule which allows any access from any port inside to any host on internet on any running port. To make it safe that it is not being overwritten by other rules, you have to keep it in top and basically then what is the access control you have? Every body goes everywhere
Unless you only create the rule for a specified machine and only allow incoming access for that machine to get high id, (which is absolutely a crazy idea in network) you are out of luck
I have tested this on dmz so if something goes wrong then has less damage.

Again and again, the point is if you want to run emule under isa, then you are running it in business environment. Have you thought of possible legal problems? Use it at home with no problem
[Big Grin]

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 14
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 17.Nov.2004 6:04:00 PM   
Personnaly, I use Isa Server 2004 as a firewall in my house and another server as an eMule client.

I read the tutorial /EmuleIsa2004STDConfig.doc proposed at the beginng of that talk.

I think something is missing to get High ID... I'll try to explain :

When your eMule client connect to a server it contacts the server on the port that appear in the server list (usually 4661).
Then the server connects a new TCP session back to your emule client to check if your client is well responding and if yes it give you a high ID, if no you have a low ID.

The emule server tries to open this TCP session on your TCP port you configured in emule client (usually 4662).

As it is a new TCP session coming from the emule server the firewall don't associate it as a part of the session you open on the server on port 4661. The firewall think it is an incoming connection and it is right, it's an incoming connection.

To have it work successfully you have to add a "server publish rule" on your ISA server and configure it to listen on port 4662 (the same TCP port than you configured on the emule client) and to transmit all incoming demands to the IP address of your emule client workstation.

I hope these explainations are easy to read. My english is poor... if you need more explainations about my ISA configuration you can mail at Alertes.ISA@pacimail.no-ip.info

regards,

Bruno

(in reply to Hegris)
  Post #: 15
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 16.Dec.2004 12:35:00 AM   
Hi people,

I installed ISA 2004 on windows 2003 server, I have emule on a client connected by LAN, I followed the guide of Hegris, but my emule still have the low id, so I tryed the tips of Bruno, about to add a server publish rule and now I have High id !Now I still have to configure the Kad server, anyone know how to add it to isa?

Thanks [Smile]

Ciao,
Marcello

(in reply to Hegris)
  Post #: 16
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 21.Dec.2004 4:13:00 AM   
adzy

Hi,

does anyone still have this guide. I tried the link, but I'm getting a 403 Forbidden Error.

Thanks,

Adz

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 17
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 5.Aug.2005 6:18:00 AM   
JesseA

I'm using emule behind isa for a long time, so I also share my experience. My variant (slightly differs from Hegris'):

1. Create 4 protocols:
a) TCP outbound (ports 4000-5000)
b) TCP inbound (ports 4000-5000)
c) UDP send receive (ports 4000-5000)
d) UDP receive send (ports 4000-5000)
You may choose different ports. You need more than 4661 and 4662 if many users want to use emule behind your isa server. Every one of them should use different port.

2. Create access rule
action: allow
protocols: all created at step 1.
to: external network
users: users that allowed to use emule

3. firewall client parameters
you just need to add 2 lines:
a)
app: emule
key: ServerBindTcpPorts
value: 4000-5000
b)
key: RemoteBindUdpPorts

4. Client setup:
a) Firewall client should be enabled
b) setup emule connection settings to use unique tcp and udp ports in range 4000-5000 (unique in your local network)

That's all. Now you get HighId and full functionality of emule.

The same steps suits for isa 2000 (with minor differences).

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 18
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 12.Aug.2005 7:09:00 AM   
isava

Thanks for this solution JesseA [Big Grin]
It's nice work for me [Razz]

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 19
RE: Emule Configuration ISA 2004 - 17.Aug.2005 6:59:00 PM   
johncockroach

Hi,
Where/how do i edit these 2 line in firewall client?
John.

quote:
Originally posted by JesseA:
I'm using emule behind isa for a long time, so I also share my experience. My variant (slightly differs from Hegris'):

1. Create 4 protocols:
a) TCP outbound (ports 4000-5000)
b) TCP inbound (ports 4000-5000)
c) UDP send receive (ports 4000-5000)
d) UDP receive send (ports 4000-5000)
You may choose different ports. You need more than 4661 and 4662 if many users want to use emule behind your isa server. Every one of them should use different port.

2. Create access rule
action: allow
protocols: all created at step 1.
to: external network
users: users that allowed to use emule

3. firewall client parameters
you just need to add 2 lines:
a)
key: ServerBindTcpPorts
b)
key: RemoteBindUdpPorts

4. Client setup:
a) Firewall client should be enabled
b) setup emule connection settings to use unique tcp and udp ports in range 4000-5000 (unique in your local network)

That's all. Now you get HighId and full functionality of emule.

The same steps suits for isa 2000 (with minor differences).

(in reply to Hegris)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Misc.] >> Gaming >> Emule Configuration ISA 2004 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts