• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Specify Outgoing IP Address

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> ISA 2004 SBS >> Specify Outgoing IP Address Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Specify Outgoing IP Address - 23.Aug.2005 7:10:00 PM   
sstolp

Hey all.

I'll try to keep this brief.

This was not an issue with ISA 2000, but I did the upgrade, and now I am having a very specific problem.

We use an AS2 secure connection with a client, and I had no problem setting up the inbound connection through ISA, but for my outbound connection, our client is expecting a specific IP address. ISA lets me specify that IP address for the incoming connection, but it is using (I believe) the "default" Outgoing IP address to try and send. This isn't going to work.

(Yes, I assigned 2 different IP address to my external NIC. I want to use one of them for only this secure AS2 connection, which works for Inbound, but not Outbound).

Any guidance? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Steve
Post #: 1
RE: Specify Outgoing IP Address - 24.Aug.2005 5:52:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Steve,

The same issue existed with the ISA 2000 firewall.

Is this on an SBS box?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to sstolp)
Post #: 2
RE: Specify Outgoing IP Address - 24.Aug.2005 9:52:00 AM   
sstolp

Hi Tom.

It did? I had this working when the box was 2000.

Yes, it's an SBS box, but the As2 server is a different box. Just to clarify, when the ISA server gets outgoing TCP traffic from the As2 box, I want it to route the traffic so that it is coming from a specific outgoing IP address I have already assigned to external NIC.

Any idea how to configure this? I have been searching everywhere...

Thanks!

Steve

P.S. Dude, I have no problem buying your book, if it will tell me how to do this. This can't be that hard...

[ August 24, 2005, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: sstolp ]

(in reply to sstolp)
Post #: 3
RE: Specify Outgoing IP Address - 25.Aug.2005 6:25:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi SS,

The same is true for both 2000 and 2004 -- you can't control the source IP address for outbound connections unless you use the Firewall client on the machine you want to bind to the external IP address to -- and I still haven't been able to figure out how to do it with 2004.

Tom

(in reply to sstolp)
Post #: 4
RE: Specify Outgoing IP Address - 25.Aug.2005 10:05:00 AM   
ClintD

Tom - during the Beta, I remember the ISA product group asking the testers if this functionality was needed (using the Firewall Client to bind to a specific external IP) and I don't think it made it into the RTM bits - I believe they dropped this capability.

You might ask the product group because I know for sure this was brought up during the Beta.

(in reply to sstolp)
Post #: 5
RE: Specify Outgoing IP Address - 25.Aug.2005 1:07:00 PM   
sstolp

See what happens when I doubt my own abilities?

I say this worked on my 2000 machine because it did....

I assumed it stopped working because I changed something on my end (upgraded to 2004), however it now appears that our trading partner changed something on their end, and that's why it stopped working.

For the record, they *were* set up to 'listen' for our default outgoing IP, not the secondary IP I set up for incoming. It had been so long since I configured it, that I forgot that fact...

I appreciate you guys looking into it for me. Turns out it was someone else's problem, not my configuration.

(in reply to sstolp)
Post #: 6
RE: Specify Outgoing IP Address - 21.Sep.2005 8:47:00 PM   
rneubauer

I am running into an issue because of this trying to send email to AOL. The outbound SMTP is coming from the ip that all outbound traffic goes through, not from the SMTP Server Address which is what I have a PTR record for. Are you saying that there is no way to specify the IP that my exchange server needs to use when sending smtp mail? That sounds insane. I can't just do a 1 to 1 NAT, and only allow the ports that I want? That just doesn't seem right...
Rick

(in reply to sstolp)
Post #: 7
RE: Specify Outgoing IP Address - 22.Sep.2005 12:10:00 PM   
sstolp

I sort of had that problem. (Reverse DNS, right?). Here was my workaround...

I signed up with Messagelabs to stop all the imcoming spam, *AND* I route my outgoing mail through them as well. Then, assigned my reverse DNS record to point to Messagelabs. Works like a charm, with the added bonus of no more spam (or at least a *helluva* lot less.)

[ September 22, 2005, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: sstolp ]

(in reply to sstolp)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> ISA 2004 SBS >> Specify Outgoing IP Address Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts