• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ISA04 - Published website problem - Can't download files from virtual directory

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> ISA 2004 SBS >> ISA04 - Published website problem - Can't download files from virtual directory Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ISA04 - Published website problem - Can't download file... - 1.Sep.2005 4:59:00 PM   
tdmce

Hi,

I'm running Small Business Server 2003 with ISA 2004 installed. I have a virtual folder setup in IIS 6 called 'downloads' which I want to place files for our clients to be able to download from. In ISA 2004 I've created a Web publishing rule for our public website and have set the paths to /* so it accepts all the site.

If I type in www.ourwebsitename.com in the browser it shows fine. If i type in www.ourwebsitename.com/downloads/filename.exe Internet Explorer pops up with the file download progress box and then times out saying that it can't find the file. If I enable 'directory browsing' on the virtual folder in IIS6 and then do www.ourwebsitename.com/downloads/ I can see all the files there, if I click on the filename.exe it starts downloading fine. Yet if I type in the path to the file in the Internet Explorer address and press enter it does not find the file.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
Tristan
Post #: 1
RE: ISA04 - Published website problem - Can't download ... - 6.Sep.2005 8:24:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Tristan,

Moving to the SBS section.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to tdmce)
Post #: 2
RE: ISA04 - Published website problem - Can't download ... - 6.Sep.2005 12:38:00 PM   
tshinder

quote:
Originally posted by tdmce:
Hi,

I'm running Small Business Server 2003 with ISA 2004 installed. I have a virtual folder setup in IIS 6 called 'downloads' which I want to place files for our clients to be able to download from. In ISA 2004 I've created a Web publishing rule for our public website and have set the paths to /* so it accepts all the site.

If I type in www.ourwebsitename.com in the browser it shows fine. If i type in www.ourwebsitename.com/downloads/filename.exe Internet Explorer pops up with the file download progress box and then times out saying that it can't find the file. If I enable 'directory browsing' on the virtual folder in IIS6 and then do www.ourwebsitename.com/downloads/ I can see all the files there, if I click on the filename.exe it starts downloading fine. Yet if I type in the path to the file in the Internet Explorer address and press enter it does not find the file.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
Tristan

Hi Tristan,

Are you testing from an external client?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to tdmce)
Post #: 3
RE: ISA04 - Published website problem - Can't download ... - 7.Sep.2005 6:14:00 PM   
DAW

I have observed this behavior too with a .mdb file but I didn't take time to find out why, I just put the file on my home webserver (apache) for the client to grab.

I don't transfer files much except via email.

(in reply to tdmce)
Post #: 4
RE: ISA04 - Published website problem - Can't download ... - 8.Sep.2005 12:37:00 AM   
MRIS

quote:

If I type in www.ourwebsitename.com in the browser it shows fine. If i type in www.ourwebsitename.com/downloads/filename.exe Internet Explorer pops up with the file download progress box and then times out saying that it can't find the file.

What's probably happening is that IIS is EXECUTING the "filename.exe" file and trying to feed the console output as the respons stream. Make sure you change the configuration of the DOWNLOADS/ directory in IIS from "Execute" to "None".

(in reply to tdmce)
Post #: 5
RE: ISA04 - Published website problem - Can't download ... - 8.Sep.2005 9:59:00 AM   
TimTrace

One thing that you can check is to see if the MIME type is being filtered by an ISA rule:
http://tinyurl.com/7lf9z

Another thing to check, is if the MIME type is not allowed by your IIS Default Web Site or Virtual Directory settings:
http://tinyurl.com/7dxez

And yet another thing to check - my vote for best KB of the month because it absolutely nailed a problem - Internet Explorer Is Unable to Open Office Documents from an SSL Web Site:
http://tinyurl.com/bbcvp

(in reply to tdmce)
Post #: 6
RE: ISA04 - Published website problem - Can't download ... - 11.Sep.2005 10:39:00 PM   
tdmce

External users can't access the file and I can't access the file locally on the server by typing http://localhost/test/data.zip on the actual web server.

The second issue I'm having (might be related) is that I can no longer download video's from MSDN Channel 9 by right clicking and going save target as. Says it is starting to download but looks like it times out.

I've changed the folder in IIS from execute to 'none'. Problem still happens.

I've uninstalled all of ISA04 and installed from scratch and then run the SBS03 internet wizard to configure ISA04. Still same problem.

(in reply to tdmce)
Post #: 7
RE: ISA04 - Published website problem - Can't download ... - 12.Sep.2005 12:05:00 AM   
tdmce

Fixed! Problem wasn't in the end related to ISA, was IIS 6 problem. The content expirey was set to immediately, as soon as I unticked this on the website it now works as expected.

thanks to everyone who put suggestions forward.

(in reply to tdmce)
Post #: 8
RE: ISA04 - Published website problem - Can't download ... - 12.Sep.2005 9:22:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi T,

Good to hear you got it working and thanks for the follow up!

Tom

(in reply to tdmce)
Post #: 9
RE: ISA04 - Published website problem - Can't download ... - 12.Sep.2005 10:48:00 AM   
TimTrace

quote:
The content expirey was set to immediately, as soon as I unticked this on the website it now works as expected.

That would be the 3rd link in my reply, above. [Big Grin]

I learned of this problem early last week; I was glad to have a solution to something that had been dogging me for quite a while.

Glad it worked for you! ;>

(in reply to tdmce)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> ISA 2004 SBS >> ISA04 - Published website problem - Can't download files from virtual directory Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts