• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

default config, can't download from MS sites

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> ISA 2004 SBS >> default config, can't download from MS sites Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
default config, can't download from MS sites - 29.Sep.2005 10:26:00 PM   
tdmce

Hi,

I've posted about this problem before and thought it had fixed itself (which it had), but the problem has happened again now. And I've definitely tracked it down to ISA04.

On my XP Pro machine I'm unable to download this file: http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/8/3/b838ee36-41a2-4280-af5c-18204bb7a581/hotmail_kahuna_edited_MBR.wmv from the MS Channel 9 site. I also can't do it from the SBS03 Server machine itself either, just gives the following error.

Error Code 64: Host not available
Background: The gateway or proxy server lost connection to the Web server.

I've checked the ISA logs and I'm not getting any denied access, just a "Failed Connection Attempt" error.

I tried creating an "Open All" rule to make sure it wasn't a rule blocking the download attempt. I gave it access to all protocols, Source=Internal, Destination=External.

Tried downloading it, still the same problem.

I then decided to uninstall ISA 04 and default to back to SBS03 configuration.

Tried it and could now download the video no problems and internet access seems quite a bit faster.

Reinstalled ISA 04 and then ran the SBS03 internet connection wizard to configure the ISA rules for me.

Tried downloading file, failed. Same problem.

So I've done nothing to the new ISA install except run the SBS03 connection Wizard. And I can no longer download this file.

I'm really really stuck on this. Oh and it's not just that file, its any file from Microsoft.com that has the problem. I can download other files from other sites, which makes me think it is still something to do with an ISA rule, but then I tried the Open All rule and it failed still?!?!

Help!
Thanks
Tristan
Post #: 1
RE: default config, can't download from MS sites - 30.Sep.2005 8:15:00 AM   
ababinchak

Do you have any alerts in the monitoring section of ISA2004?

I can download that file no problem, using ISA2004 upgrade from ISA2000 on SBS2003.

(in reply to tdmce)
Post #: 2
RE: default config, can't download from MS sites - 30.Sep.2005 4:49:00 PM   
tdmce

No alerts, everything seems fine.

If I try doing a tracert to www.microsoft.com, it gets to about 12 hops and then says timed out.

So I was wondering if it was an ISP issue, but then why would it work if ISA04 was uninstalled.

Could it be a problem with our routing table? Is there anything I could check there?

Thanks for your reply

(in reply to tdmce)
Post #: 3
RE: default config, can't download from MS sites - 30.Sep.2005 7:40:00 PM   
tdmce

Everything has just started working here, I can now download the video just fine!?! Changed nothing. So does that mean it must be something to do with ISP?

I tried calling them up the other day and their tech said they had no problem downloading the file when I couldn't. And then when I uninstalled ISA it all worked. So I'm still not sure where my problem lies.

Thanks

(in reply to tdmce)
Post #: 4
RE: default config, can't download from MS sites - 3.Oct.2005 7:48:00 PM   
jdl

Hi

This as happened to me
Microsoft uses international distributed services for his web servers

nslookup
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: download.microsoft.com.c.footprint.net
Addresses: 64.152.17.157, 195.50.96.94, 212.73.245.62, 212.162.0.29
213.19.160.190, 213.200.95.126, 213.200.98.30, 213.200.100.29, 213.200
Aliases: download.microsoft.com, main.dl.ms.akadns.net
intl.dl.ms.akadns.net

So I suppose some times we get un IP for a server that is off line for some reason
Workaround see to what IP your browser is connecting to (temporarily) put an entry on yourÆs hosts file for another one, clear the DNS cache download the file, clear the hosts file entry

Regards

(in reply to tdmce)
Post #: 5
RE: default config, can't download from MS sites - 3.Oct.2005 10:48:00 PM   
tdmce

Thanks, that explains it!

Will try that next time.

(in reply to tdmce)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> ISA 2004 SBS >> default config, can't download from MS sites Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts